1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Limb Loss / Armor Destruction

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Ralouch, Jan 21, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Ralouch

Ralouch Catapult Fodder

I really love this game and am always thinking of ways to make it better.

After long consideration I thought up basically this system to balance and make things a bit more in depth.

Essentially you have a chance to lose a limb if you take 3 hearts in a single attack (Bombs, Power Attacks).

Losing an arm means you wouldn't be able to use shield mechanics or attack while holding all things.
    Loss of a leg would mean you can't move very quickly or swim, still having two arms would mean you could use your shield as a crutch.

Of course archers and builders wouldn't be affected by this.

Alternatively you could cut this out with an armor health system. After taking a large amount of damage a knights armor breaks and they take extra damage.

The overall goal of this mechanic would be to prevent camping and stuff like that.

2. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Yuck this would be awful. Suddenly getting gimped because you've been fighting for a long time?

Honestly just reducing the amount of healing crap that gets strewn across the battlefield would be a better solution (making hearts drop at a certain rate instead of all the time)

Edit: Three hearts in a single attack though? The only thing that could trigger that then, is direct-hit bombs, ballista bolts... and really nothing else. Seems kind of pointless.

Auburn likes this.
  3. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

For the love of god, use regular text formatting.
    Also, no, this puts good players at a disadvantage for being good.

4. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

I feel that this would make the game that much more interesting and bring about a small, but well...needed... *tenses in fear of word lashes and other forms of verbal punishment* ...nerf for knights. There! I said it! Seriously, they're the only class that could lose a limb and still be alive.

EDIT: Also, maybe make it losing 3 hearts in a certain amount of time instead of all in one attack? I feel that it needs to be something that can happen, but shouldn't be so frequent that the battlefield is covered with arms and legs. And shields. I really like the idea of a knight losing his shield.

5. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

You know how when knights are gibbed, they drop their shields?

You could loose your shield somehow...and then pick it back up from a gibbed knight nearby!

6. ^:yes:
    and when your shield is lost, your right click does a grab or something intresting

7. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

^
    Right click without a shield could do a sword block/pick up a shield.

The sword block cannot glide, but blocks .5 damage (Including arrows).

I don't see this happening, but I like to brainstorm.

8. ^OR it does a parry, timed correctly it stuns your enemy and blocks the attack

9. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

^
    OR the parry wouldn't stun the enemy, but completely block the attack. The slash cool-down Is a slight stun by Itself.

I personally like my other idea...even though this won't happen.

10. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

The only good reason to add this would be to be able to make Monty Python jokes. But even then, it would only be a day before that got old.

11. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

You can really only do a limb damage system if you do it properly.
    If we added it like you said: "Oh no, I've been hit in the chest! there goes my arm..."

Since you can't properly aim attacks for specific parts in the body since this is a 2D game, no limb injuries.

We don't even need Limb injuries to make monty python jokes...
    [​IMG]

Duplolas likes this.
  12. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Auburn. you have provided a realism argument. '"Oh no, I've been hit in the chest! there goes my arm..."' Since when is King Arthur's Gold in the LEAST BIT realistic? Seriously, a chicken + a catapult + a knight = Delta Airline. Arrows in a wall makes a perfect ladder able to be climbed in a mere second. Bombs don't blow your shield across the map. "Oh no, you stabbed me in impenetrable chainmail armor, there goes one heart!" I feel that this addition would make the cartoony aspect of this game a little more clear. "Oh noes! You threw a perfectly timed bomb like a pro! There goes my leg. Got...to go... heal..." Also, your Monty Python joke does not influence me. I've never played that game. If it is a game. Maybe it's a TV show. I don't know.

13. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

The argument Auburn is not one based upon realism, but one based upon basic gameplay concepts.

Let me introduce you to something.

This is a video that shows you how what you want could be implemented. What I mean by that is YOU WOULD HAVE TO MAKE THE GAME 3 DIMENSIONAL SO YOU CAN TARGET LIMBS AND BLOW THEM UP!

Its not hard to understand.

Kag = 2d = NO VATS

Fallout = 3d = TONS OF GOREY EXPLOSIONS THAT SEVER LIMBS WITH VATS

ALSO.

If you don't know what Monty Python is, you are too young to be on the internet without your parent's supervision.

http://www.solarmovie.so/link/show/1511035/

You're welcome. Just press play twice and you are good to go. Its legal.

14. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Sorry, but it's a personal trait of mine. I love to not be in the know on recent happenings. Even not so recent ones. I also know what VATS is, and Fall-Out has very surprisingly realistic mechanics. Other than the whole "sleep and your bones heal instantly" thing. But to my knowledge, it doesn't have knights with metal shields that work as gliders, and it also doesn't have grappling hooks (to my disappointment). As I know well, and you will all probably soon learn, I am one of the best people in the world when it comes to argument. And by the way, it is 100% possible to insert a VATS system in a 2-D game, it would just have very small targets, and it wouldn't work well in a fast-paced game like KAG.

15. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

i dont know about you or if you have legit solo'd against teams as knights, but it'd be pretty mad if i was continuing a streak and saving / defending my team at the front and, "BOY WOW U JUST LOST UR ARM HAHA BETTER HOPE U DONT DIE." it just adds way more complex features for the sake of adding them.

Apronymous, Auburn, Duplolas and 2 others like this.
  16. Ralouch

Ralouch Catapult Fodder

Knights need a nerf

Jepton likes this.
Mods: Rainbows