1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Moveable Outposts = Bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solomon-Grundy, Oct 29, 2011.

1. 16th

16th Bison Rider

Moveable Outposts = wery buggy...

2. NigerV2

NigerV2 Shopkeep Stealer

Outpost +Skybridge =Win the game
    Yes now we have more tactics...

3. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Skybridges will be balanced soon.

4. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I just wish people couldnt pick up MY GD CATA WHILE IM TRYING TO SHOOT IT.

Not to derail thread, but its kind of related.

5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

On the other hand, I've used this tactic myself to stop teammates from stealing my cata and wasting its ammo.

if I built that cata and gathered its ammo, I sure as hell better be the one to fire it

6. Noburu

Thats true as well. People picking up and messing with shit they shouldnt is what pissed me off most.

Chrispin likes this.
  7. Viken

Viken Horde Gibber

I don't think it's a good idea to allow griefers and the like to control game features, so I vote that movable outposts stay. It's great when used in an abuse-free environment, or at least it will be when a few more balances have been added.

8. Aluka

Aluka Shipwright

The devs should look into how existing games handled team-crafted structures access. Planetside comes to mind...I think you could set any structure that you "own" as public, private, guild/group level, etc. In all cases, the owner should have100% freedom on which types of access is allowed on his structure...

No griefing going on? Leave it on public....some griefer present? Temporarily put it on private, until the griefer is kicked, then set it back to public. You could just add an extra "use" button to all structures, with a padlock on / off as a basic feature.

In Planetside, they went even more in detail, I think you could man any turret or passenger seat (meaning you could use a catapult but not move it....or use outposts, bomb/arrows shops but not move them). So maybe 3 levels?

1) Public (everything allowed, use / move)
    2) Protected (use only, moving not allowed)
    3) Private (owner only)

Protected being the default setting would allow anyone to use a catapult for exemple but not move it. You don't want people to use your ammo? Set it to Private. Set it to Protected before leaving to get more ammo or Public.

You could even add a "preferences" section in the options! So players can configure the default owner setting for all structures.

9. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Test build now has an arrow for throw direction, to make things even more obvious.

10. bilbs

bilbs KAG Guard Tester

Throwing catapults and outpost is just ridiculous. Moving them is great.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Aluka: We've thought of ownership systems but haven't had time to implement them :/ That sounds like a good system though. I've got a nice padlock icon we could very easily use. What happens for private outposts: only you can spawn and change class there? ;)

12. Noburu

How about simply the person who built the structure has the option by holding E to lock the structure from movement for outposts and catapults. Maybe even from firing the catapult as well. Dont know jack about programming though so I dont know how feasible that is.

Chrispin likes this.
  13. Aluka

Aluka Shipwright

Hmm...I am just taking a look at Planetside's system again : they had a unit, a moving "truck" that once stopped could be deployed. Once deployed, players could set their spawn point at the truck...sounds like King Arthur Gold's movable outpost.

I think in all cases, all players could set their spawn point at the truck as long as it was deployed, regardless of the owner's setting. Which means only public and protected is necessary for an outpost. Using it is always available (shared feature of public and protected), moving depends on the owner (protected's feature).

So in general, the exercise would be to give 1 to 3 levels of ownership to all structures.

1 = Public (currently, the game has all structures with this, no icons are used or needed)
    2 = Public, Protected (Basic "padlock" feature, off = public, on = protected)
    3 = Public, Protected, Private (Advanced system, different icons?)

14. Chiguireitor

Chiguireitor Shopkeep Stealer

What happens when the owner disconnects? :)

15. DutchKazuya

DutchKazuya Shipwright

What happens if outpost gets taken over?
    Who gets the right as owner in the enemy team?
    And if it is taken back by a player other then the original owner which of the two has the rights now?