1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1047] Gurin's Collapsing and Building guide

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Gurin, Mar 2, 2014.

?

Did this help you?

Poll closed May 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

86.7%
  2. No

13.3%
  1. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Hey there, folks! I've found some collapsing techniques with some friends a couple of days ago. It is quite interesting. And very good for gibbing the unaware :p
    I'll start with the main section of collapsing techniques, then i'll move on to using them with a tower.
    Also, I know i'm not completely accurate and you may think I did something wrong, just give me a note if something can be improved or something can be added. Thanks.

These spikes were like the "heavy blocks" from classic. So crush all your enemies with fear!
    ------
    • The one note I say is that: never, I mean never use block collapses unless it is desperate. Fair enough spikes cost 30 stone each. But it could kill at-least 5 people in the process. And also save your tower / life. (if placed properly)
    • Another note is that the spikes will not always fall down. They may stay on the backwall. ( Causing them to damage you and others when jumped on. You can break it with your pickaxe.)
    • Never build spike pits. ( small traps with saws don't count.) It takes up too much of your time. In the time you're digging that pit you could have built a structure in the middle.
    • Don't waste 4000 stone on a 10 block thick tower.
    • Don't run into battle with 1000 stone in your backpack. ( I would normally have 200 - 250 stone. And maybe about 500 wood. Since you need allot for ladders and block spam. Also shops if you're tunneling.)

Spike Collapses:

First off, you will need to be fairly sneaky and very quick to perform this correctly. One thing to note is that it will not work if it collapses onto a hard block. By this I mean it needs to be atleast two blocks away from a "hard block".( dirt, stone, doors, etc.) Only trap blocks and faced down bridges it will go through. and ladders.)
    For examples:
    screen-14-03-01-09-11-22.png screen-14-03-01-09-11-26.png

The first image to the left: The spike will not fall. It will just break on the stone block. Second image: As far as I know you have to have the spike atleast 2 blocks away from the "hard tile".

Basic spiking:
    You may find something like this:
    screen-14-02-15-08-31-24.png
    This is the basic type of spiking someone. It is fairly hard to do against a knight chasing you. ( Since they may jump back, jump over. Etc.) As you can see in the picture above, I just built a basic wall upwards and placing the spike on-top of it. Most of the time it will fall and instantly crush your enemies. ( sometimes it can get buggy and stay on the block)

As seen here: You could create any sort of structure with this:
    screen-14-02-15-14-57-45.png

Having an overhang like this could be use-full on water based maps. And also on-top of buildings. The spikes will mostly always fall through all trap blocks and faced down platforms. This gives you an advantage; your enemies not being able to get up, and you laughing at the opponent gib.
    An example of these collapses:
    wd2222.gif
    As show. you just drop the spike on-top of the backwall. If you were running away from an enemy knight, you can quickly jump into your tower and place a spike. (So you jump in your tower, he chases you = dies from collapse) Unless the spike bugs and stays on the backwall, that can be a problem. but ohh well.

You can also do the same technique on the backwall's overhang. Just watch-out for your team, as you might kill them too!

If you're looking for a more "safer" approach, I would suggest:

screen-14-03-02-09-49-18.png screen-14-03-02-10-13-57.png
    The first image to the left just gives a basic idea on a safe "spike collapse". (ofc you can add more on-top of the tower. This is just a brief idea.) It's quick and easy. And is more likely for you to kill the opponent. (Since it's closer to the ground, and if it was higher; they would have a chance to dodge it.)

The second image is kinda' the same. Just added into a tower with the trapblock to make it almost certain for the spike to fall (I have never seen the spike get stuck on it. Only backwall) Which is better, and it keeps you safe from bombs and arrows from the other team.

That's most of the ways I use this "bug" or "feature". There are more ways to use it. But I think these are the less time consuming and res wasting.

Building:

Building can be quite harder than in classic. There is more explosions, knights can bomb-jump higher everyone gets water spammed, it's just damn crazy. Here are some of the buildings I mostly build.
    Fair enough every building gets rekt from a Bomb-Ballista. But that doesn't matter, every tower does.

Basic Building

• The one thing I hate is when people spend about 3000 stone on a 10 block thick tower. That's a hell allot of stone. You could use half that stone of 4 buildings small buildings, shops, repairs and also spike collapses.
    • Don't waste mats. By this I mean don't rush a tower with 1000 stone and 2000 wood in your backpack. Take enough to last you a while. If you die with all that mats the enemy might get them. Giving them time not to mine. And instead do other things with it.
    • Personally. I say no to ground doors, they suck. (For TTH it is fine, but other than that. Keep them high!) Keeping them atleast 6 blocks high I find is a good height. (All classes can get up easily.)
    CTF Buildings

When I build In CTF. I normally keep my main structure on the flag, since people always cover them and you can just build off it. Keeping it atleast 1-2 tiles thick with another layer quite further back can be quite usefull. Since kegs can get in, but it's hard to get out. (If you get what I mean.)(Since they charge in, you jump out and block it off.)

Rushing into the middle I normally just build off an island or a small hill that is created with the map. Building on flat plains if fine, too. But if you have a hill behind your tower it makes it easier because you don't have to waste stone building more layers since you have the dirt there.
    An example of something like this:

With -> screen-14-03-02-10-41-33.png Without -> screen-14-03-02-10-42-44.png

Using Wood:

Wood can be fairly nice to spam, and also use it where it can be usefull. Spamming a wooded tall tower with stone backwall will prevent it from setting anything else on fire. And if you're there. Just place one stone block to stop the fire from spreading onto the other blocks.

Overhangs:

Overhangs are very usefull to your team. Adding 3 down bridges stops bomb jumpers, laddering builders and also allows your teams' archer to fire below. I personally use something like this:

screen-14-02-15-14-57-45.png
    I have that on-top on almost every tower. Literally. You can also extend this to make something like this:
    screen-14-03-02-10-59-50.png

Backwall Placement

I have gotten this technique from the old, classic days. I'm just saying this here that don't fill every space of sky behind your tower. It really, doesn't make it any better. Making 2 tile spaces and add-ons' to that backwall is just fine, just don't spam it everywhere.

Try to keep your backwall safe. So it can resist atleast 2 bombs (at the most). If you have only one backwall behind it a knight will surely bomb jump over and take out the tower.

Drill Blocks

I've not stolen or whatever this from FBB. I've just been asked to add it. Thanks.

Drills are can be fairly annoying, and fairly use-full. It really depends how you build your defense. I suggest having something like this:
    Doors + bridges defense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W54_KLAwlCQ&feature=youtu.be
    Right bridges defense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HU5JVuK27s&feature=youtu.be
    Left facing bridges defense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLsjcR3X1b8&feature=youtu.be

Basically, the doors + bridges defence is the best, IMO. It lets your teams archer shoot through it if the block it broken, it allows your builder to repair. And stone doors are annoying as hell if you're on the opposing team.
    For more, cheaper options, just go with the other ones. If I had to chose out of those two, I would say the "right facing bridges" is better. Because enemies can get in, but harder to get out.

It really is under your decision.

Hopefully this helped you, thanks for your time.
    -Gurin

Will be probably write more on the builder in attacking and TTH Styles of building. Also, thankyou for your time and have a good day.

Remember to note any mistakes I've made, any improvements and suggest any ideas to add. I will probably add on more things to this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Darruin, hierbo, Apronymous and 16 others like this.
  2. kasra345

kasra345 Haxor

Awesome! :3

3. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Its AMAZING!!! :D
    EDIT: Add infomation about drilling.
    EDIT: Building bridges of trap blocks.

4. Gurin

Thankyou!

What do mean, by "drilling?" Do you mean using drills in-game, or tunnelling. Also, yeah. Thankyou for your suggestion, I will try and write that up sooner today.

Draco1991 likes this.
  5. 101i

Actually drills in-game which cost 100 stone.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Sicarii Donator
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Something like this is good to stop people are able to get into your flag from either side or above.
    not stealing your design Fbb, just thought it would be useful for everyone.
    This is a perfect way to slow the enemy down IF they get inside your flagzone, they cant get out because of the wood bridges blocking their way and will give your team essential time to kill him
    screen-14-03-02-17-15-10.png

emasame likes this.
  7. 101i

Expecially useful for drilling knights!!!

emasame and -Tj- like this.
  8. Gurin

Ah, indeed! I forgot about adding this. Thankyou for jogging my memory, i'll add it sooner today.

EDIT: Added!

Draco1991 likes this.
  9. muslim_gyan

muslim_gyan Catapult Fodder