1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Shield gliding up walls glitch

Discussion in 'Archive' started by ThePiemaster, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

If it were actually feature-ized it would be too easy to do. Is it just aesthetically displeasing to you or something?

2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

That would almost certainly remove the skill which will make it pointless, and might as well see the entire thing removed.

3. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

Can glitches never make a game great? just because it isn't official, doesn't mean it doesn't improve the game.

Let me give you an example. Before I played KAG obsessively, I played another game obsessively. This game is called transformice. In transformice, you play as a simple mouse who must gather cheese and bring it back to the mousehole. There is one special mouse called the "Shaman" who has the power to build bridges and the like to get the mouse there. Originally this game was very simple. Essentially every map uses the same basic skills for the shaman, and all the mice have to do is follow his bridges.

Soon however, people got bored. There were massive walls in front of there faces, and didn't want to wait for the shaman. They started jumping at them like mad. Soon someone discovered that when you jump at a wall it thinks you landed on a ground and allows you to jump again. People soon developed a skill called walljumping, very similar to this glitch in fact. It allowed people to scale any wall. Soon people developed "bounce jumps" on trampoline ground, inverted slope jump, tilted ice jump (vertical ice couldn't be wall jumped but with any slope it could) and later turn arounds, long jumps, and corner jumps.. Soon the developers saw this change, and responded to it by creating a new game mode called "Bootcamp". In this mode you get rounds with 4 times the length. You essentially have to use all these crazy skills you learned through several months of blood, sweat, tears, and hazing from other players, in order to complete a hellish obstacle course. It essentially changed the game from a casual building game to a fast paced racing game or a insane test of keyboard agility(with a few building maps mixed in).

tl;dr Glitches can change games for the better.

Solaris, Klokinator and BlueLuigi like this.
  4. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Erm... Geti (a dev) already said that he wasn't going to change it, so it is essentially a "legit" technique.

Klokinator likes this.
  5. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Mother Fu-

6. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

Actually I first found out that this works in KAG when the walljumping+shield arc reminded me of the one in transformice.

7. ThePiemaster

ThePiemaster Haxor

Tell people how to do it in the tutorial.

That's my real problem with it. All the other rules of the game are spelled out so anybody can learn them given practice. As of now it's a "secret" mechanic only available to veterans. Games should have known rules to be fair.

The mechanic stays, the "it's unfair" people are appeased, everybody wins.

8. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

Honestly, this can't be learned from a tutorial.

It's a skill. Players who are better at them game get to be better. That happens in every game.

9. ThePiemaster

ThePiemaster Haxor

It's a combination of keys you press at a certain timing. It can be taught.

10. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

It's literally as simple as learning a rhythm haha.. While that rhythm would be hard to express in a text tutorial, a video/gif would suffice.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Honestly I don't think this kind of thing is suitable for a tutorial, unless we get a seriously advanced tutorial that also teaches bombjumps, advanced grappling, close combat archering, sneaking through doors with a corpse jammed in them, flag juggling to manage bombs while escaping, water spam vs arcrave, etc. If someone wants to author something that complicated (I know I don't) then get it touch.

rymcd, Guitarman, Noburu and 6 others like this.
  12. Sir_Walter

Shh! If we put this in a tutorial, Arcrave will quit permanently :3

13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I was planning to do an explanatory video for knights at some point that explained only the most complicated things such as this glitch and bomb jumping. I'll get to it... eventually.

14. Sir_Walter

If you see it ingame, you can learn it. If you don't see it, there's no reason to get mad about it.

Anyway Knighthart made a video showing how to do it somewhere (search around for threads about this glitch).

About the "only available to veterans" thing- I've only been playing around 3.5-4 months, and I know how to do it. It has nothing to do with your time playing the game, you just have to figure it out yourself, or ask someone who knows how to do it to show you.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Apronymous likes this.
  15. JPD

JPD Shipwright

This is one of those glitches where the devs didn't mean to add it into the game, but just went along with it, claiming it wasn't a glitch.

16. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

People are going mad about how op knight is. Dont make them suicide and fix it please. Knights can already easily climb over 10 block, that's enough, bomb jumps exist for reason.

JPD and epenow like this.
  17. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Geti never claimed it to be intended, he just doesn't see any reason to remove it.

I play a game called 'Liero Xtreme'. It's a rather old free game, filled with tonnes of glitches. For example, one glitch is to shoot through small walls, if you stand close enough to it (it's 2D btw). This glitch obviously wasn't intended, but it makes gameplay much more fun. If someone camps in a small cavern or something, you can shoot through a small wall and kill them easily. You can also use this to your advantage when low on health by running away and getting behind walls to shoot your opponents. It added true depth.

tl;dr glitches can make games fun.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  18. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

The only "depth" I see this glitch adding is making Knights' ability to jump on each other's shields pointless, and giving them yet another way to easily scale towers. Except that's not depth. That's just a buff that renders the devs' work on proper shield physics pointless.
    However, owing to the recent update with spike stun, it's become harder to use this trick, so I guess Builders got a decent buff there.

It doesn't matter if glitches can be good for the game, it's a matter of whether they are good. And as far as I see it, the game doesn't benefit a whole lot from this one.

Also, I really don't want to have to come back to a month-old thread and explain all of my arguments again, so please don't make me.

Might I also mention Geti has already said he has no intention of removing it. Why are you quoting my post again?

epenow likes this.
  19. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Because I can.

Maybe it doesn't add a whole bunch but it certainly doesn't take anything away. It's easy to counter as any of the classes.

20. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Again the only thing this stops is for retards to build 1 tall buildings to heaven.

Why the fuck is anyone advocating this? That's like if I found a way to get through ground doors when they were recently used and people cried that it wasn't okay even though all you might need to do is build them higher.

Play around it, not everything should be cried for the devs to fix, if you can play around it, if it doesn't impact anyone but the stupid people who refuse to learn, then it doesn't need to be fixed, in fact it probably helps the biggest problem which is regaining at least some low plateau that people have to reach before they are even acceptable.

Think of it like the difference between people who would have completed some mythical 'advanced tutorial' and those who didn't. "Don't build 1 wide, super high walls" should be in there.

Noburu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.