1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[947] The Cancer Tower, and Struts

Discussion in 'Builder' started by JTG, Nov 23, 2013.

1. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

The evolution of building has a very unseen point, simply because the new players have not quite moved forward, while people who have been around in public beta for a while have experienced several generations of building. Each a new thing to the steam playerbase.

Let me introduce you to the current pinnacle of cancer in the building world, and show you how to use struts instead of mashing back wall.

As a builder, I had an issue, I needed to make things that delayed knights and could stop bomb jumpers and help my team kill them, I needed to cut their mobility, and find a very resource minimal way of delaying attackers, and also allowed my team full mobility without being slowed down exiting the base, that required no time or thinking to place. Thus cancer towers were born, named cancer towers because they are literally cancer that can stalemate matches quite easily.

They do not burn very well thanks to the stone backwall, they allow archers to fire out of most of it safely, and knights can exit any point they desire, and their scaling is durable enough to stand after attack and not allow the enemy to go up barring luck in door damages.

[​IMG]
    As you can see the cancer tower is wood platforms, with stone underneath TO STOP BURNING, and the fact theres so many means bombjumpers get jammed somewhere, bombjumpers also cannot move through the doors.

The doors allow you two ways of moving up next to the ladders, if a enemy tries to move up by breaking the wooden doors the ladders break, and if the ladders are broken you can still climb using doors, they also serve as extra delay. The struts connect them all to each other insuring their structural integrity is horrifically robust as well, while spending little in the way of resources.

Below I will demonstrate some forms of damage that may occur.

CATAPULT ROCKS~~~~~~~~~~~~ 5 SHOTS
    [​IMG]

As you can see the rocks were going through and hitting the stone structure instead of destroying more of it.

BOMB BOLT BALLISTA~~~~~~~~~~~ 12 SHOTS
    [​IMG]

As you can see the shots failed to destroy the second door section, the bolts would simply fail to do damage against some platforms, or fail against the doors.

5 KNIGHT KEGS POINTBLANK AGAINST WALL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I used 5 kegs one after another pointblank and struts still allowed it to stand Not much stops a keg but this survived it.

So as you can see, this tower truly is a minimal resource, cancer that can consume the landscape quite fast.
    The only real counter to it is regular knights slashing and throwing regular bombs at it, and it is doing its purpose delaying until its destruction standing tall gloriously until the end, like the rest of the structures that are built.

2. Aeynia

Aeynia Obligatory Mute Girl Donator

Platforms OP, please nerf.

3. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Impresive.

4. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

This is some kind of a peak in the science of building!

I'm a fan of the stone back wall + platform combination, but your whole design is based on this dynamic, which makes it special.

Grats and god speed!

5. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

Stone struts are the mark of a builder who knows what he's doing.

6. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

you can place doors against ladders and they act as a solid block? or did you have to go through the process of adding a block next to the doors then destroying them?

7. PandemicCommander

This may have been posted before doors needed solid blocks.

8. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

aw shit thought this was a new post. it is patched.

9. PandemicCommander

I do the "build then destroy a block" thing sometimes though. Usually when I'm making something with doors and platforms (Since platforms don't count)

10. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

i do the same. even if it doesnt last very long i find it very satisfying seeing a bunch of knights jump against it confused.

11. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

This thing is great, it works amazingly well, and is easy to extend.

So very resource efficient, a saw and your in business.

12. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

U forgot to spam spikes on stone.

13. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

Quite an interesting design, makes me wonder how fast defences like this could be set up in CTF build phase time. Personally I have a concern with the whole placing blocks to place doors to then remove blocks seemingly time consuming but I assume practice makes perfect.
    Can't wait to try it out :D

14. It actually works pretty dang well, the problem is, I never have the space. Some guy always builds a normal tower there, before I can complete this.