1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1120][Guide] Basic Guide to Spike placement and traps

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Gurin, May 17, 2014.

1. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

"This isn't spikeland" - Geti. Hello there, Gurin here again. Bringing you a smaller guide than my previous. I'll be aiming to tell you about the use of spikes and building with them. The subsections i'll be talking about:
    -What are spikes?
    -How should I use them?
    -How shouldn't I use them?
    -Building Traps, and which ones to use?

What are spikes:
    - Spikes are a common block that can be placed by the builder class. It can be placed on any on an solid block. By pressing your LMB it will place the spike. Spikes cost 30 stone and can be fairly expensive to the common builder. Starting with 30 stone & wood at resupply, that's only one spike. (I wouldn't spend that 30 stone on a spike, but an offensive door blocker and ladders is a better strategy)

How should I use them?
    -Spamming may help your team, yes. But it's allot of stone wasted. There is a limit on everymap, and one keg can take out atleast 8 spikes.
    Using either stone blocked spikes, or wooden spikes all depends on the tower and your currect state. You don't want knights wallruning up your tower, use one simple wooden spike at the top.

Some examples of spike towers
    screen-14-05-12-17-21-48.png screen-14-05-12-17-23-03.png

The first image is shown of the basic trap i'll be using with my tower. It instantly hits the enemy that runs into it in a certain way.
    Second image is shown with the small basic tower I made earlier in Sandbox. I chose not to add the wooden spike at the top because I wasn't thinking at the time. And all towers are different in some way ::): (Using bomb catchers are cool, too.)

screen-14-05-15-19-46-55.png
    This image is shown in water. This is a basic small thing that small few know how to get over it. Most people push against the wall to get over, no that's not how you do it. You must double slash while getting the thrust from the water & the wall. Doing right will get you over.
    This is a pleb killer. Literally. Nearly none know how to get over it. Many have tried, but failed. In my opinion probably have a couple of these across a water map. Like 'NewTotuga', the water map that will get you mad. Having a couple of these and a tower in the mid will help you.

--

Why wooden spikes are better than stone:
    -They instantly hit the person. (Great for tall buildings so bombjumpings can't wallrun up towers. And great for small, rush towers.)
    Getting that first rush tower can be the game. Holding mid and having a good team will give you the ultimate advantage. More ground = more res. And more ground the enemy has to overcome to get your flags/halls.
    -Wooden spikes deal one heart, while stone does only half.

Stone spikes:
    -Great for pits, since they keep on hitting.
    -Sekrit tunnels
    Great for pits and small traps, since they keep on hitting. So it really depends what block you want to place it on.

Examples of some basic spike pits etc:

screen-14-05-12-17-36-55.png screen-14-05-17-09-21-35.png
    First off, this basic spike can be fairly nice if placed in a tunnel or somewhat in darkens.. I personally don't like using spike pits or whatever in-game, since they take up too much space infront of your tower. And it gives your enemy builder somewhere to hide if he can break the spikes before dying.
    The second image is just an example with a basic tower. So you can get the drift of what i'm talking about.

Just a note, spikes can hit opponents from one block away from where the spike has been placed. You don't need to place one every stone block you see in the pit. Waste allot of stone, and you don't need that many.

screen-14-05-12-17-37-35.png
    Simple nearly everyone knows about. This trap is easy, affordable with res. And just plain easy to make. (Also doesn't take up much room. +1 For tunnels)

screen-14-05-17-11-07-11.png
    We all know about the annoying and frustrating instant killing machines. They are saws. They are either great, or miserable. All depends where you/ally places them. Great for tunnels and flag caches. But always let your ally's come first.

screen-14-05-17-09-28-44.png
    Just another one I came up with before. A couple of spikes and idiot people will fall in.

How shouldn't I use them?
    -Don't spam on natural blocks. Wastes res and I doubt it will kill the enemy more then your team. This isn't minecraft and stone is everywhere. This is King Arthur's Gold. Spamming on towers and spamming in general is just plain bad. You need to save your res for more important things. One good spike is better than 20 bad ones.

Building traps, and which one to use?
    - Traps are a decent defense that can either kill your team, or kill your opponent. It all depends on which trap you use.

Firstly, always cover you pits, or traps with trap blocks, and bridges. So they cannot escape. Make sure you put the bridge in the facing direction so they don't get out. To rotate a block you press [SPACE] by default.
    Personally, I think huge 10 tile wide pits are bad, since the enemy can run around in your pit and dodge the detected spikes.

Use different types of spikes and traps with the situation you're in

----------
    Overall, traps are meant to stop people, not to help them. Use them right and survive the fight.

-------
    That's all for now. Have fun, stay tuned and gooday.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    Klokinator, Dargona1018, Asu and 18 others like this.
  2. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

3. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

2/10 would not build. Seriously tho, preatty good guide. Sadly I didn't read anything that i haven't known, and I don't really like some of your traps examples. Would give 7/10 :D

Gurin likes this.
  4. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to give some examples so some new guys would see how I used them. Whatever. And also, I just can't write about wooden spikes. I wanted to add more into it, so it wasn't as small.

Anyway thanks. I'll try and add more over the days if it's even worth it.

franek123 likes this.
  5. MarktheStapler

MarktheStapler Catapult Fodder
    1. STORM - STORM (Invite Only)

Cool guide gurin, I knew most of this but still helpful to beginners. Your knight guide is pretty solid too

Nand likes this.
  6. Tifus_Wanderer

Tifus_Wanderer Horde Gibber
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

ty, gurin.
    9/10 ;)

7. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Also if people keep on bombing you spikes, place wooden platforms near them. If a bomb lands inside the platform block it will absorb the explosion.

Could someone gifafy my terrible explanation