1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1120] Don't Use Drills to mine stone/gold!

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Gurin, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Hey guys, I'm just here to tell you don't use goddamn drills to mine stone or gold!!! So I put together a simple video explaining this. They can be used greatly against enemy structures, for a builder while attacking an enemy. And whatever else there is to it. But one thing I tell a million aussie's, don't use drills to mine stone or gold!!! They waste 50% of production, they may be quicker, but you're wasting the amount overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgCZRqwKU3M

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Malitha

Malitha Shipwright
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

No matter how many times this is said repeatedly, some noobs will never stop mining with their beloved drills.

3. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

I've no idea why but almost every week I've someone who tells me that was a bug and has been fixed :rektlord:

I just wanted to add a few things when using drills is not bad:
    Huge maps - It's impossible to drill stone all day long on standard maps, but there're several custom, really huge maps where you can do that! (Just make sure that there is a lot of stone - not always big map means a lot of resources).
    Enemy structures (mentioned above by Gurin) - drill is a very effective 'tool' especially in the first minutes after the build time. Just rush as a knight with 'em, right after the red barrier disappear and drill the walls to the flag :yes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
    FuzzyBlueBaron, Sir_Walter and Noburu like this.
  4. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

Keep in mind that some custom maps have TONS of stone and gold. But generally it's good to avoid use of drill when it comes to mining.

5. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I always drill with mines they're way faster lol idgaf we're out of stone

e: but not gold, drilling gold is retarded

FuzzyBlueBaron, norill, TeQaS and 3 others like this.
  6. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

IMO it's more about where you drill rather than what you drill. Drilling out resources next to your tent is definitely bad form. However, if you're drilling anywhere past the center line you're effectively denying the other team resources.

7. So the lesson learned today is... brush your teeth :thumbs_up:

PinXviiN likes this.
  8. Drink plenty of veggies and eat your milk

Ricket likes this.
  9. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah, upvoting this. Although, not many people would carry a drill just to mine the opponents res, IMO. I think most would either just rush or build a tower, and have the res next to them to resupply when needed.

Yeah, not sure why you would use a drill other wise. It seems quicker, though. You're not collecting as much with a drill, but mining with a pick slower, but collecting the same??????!? (slower, although more res while mining, drills = faster, but less res while drilling. Makes sense I guess.)

Yeah, this is true. I thought about the overheats with the drill. So I though I would put together this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ggA1OoANY&feature=youtu.be

(don't flame me because you guys are too 'good' for this vid, I thought I could do it, due to myself having TONNES of spare time.)

10. drillage
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 14, 2014 ---

add another layer of wooden plats to the first structure for maximum drillage

11. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

I use drill when I play 1-4 v 1-4 players on the server.

I do this because I want simple protection and I play archer and tries to rush for the win!
    Drill-> A lot of stone -> You can build a lot -> You get money -> You get bomb arrows in the beginning-> You win!
    :wink:

SirDangalang likes this.
  12. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

Gurin likes this.
  13. Decent guide until he said to kick other players who ask you not to drill and that if you're being kicked to just keg your team.

14. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Thankyou Gurin, tell those nubs!

15. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

I'm too good for this, Why are you bothering me with this Gurin, you aussie cancer!

16. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Yesterday:
    [04:09:06] <Ardivaba> 'STOP WASTING STONE FFS
    [04:09:15] <skrit RadioActive> * Drill gives you only 50% *
    [04:09:17] <takeashot> it's givin 100% again
    [04:09:20] <takeashot> they fixed it
    [04:09:20] <skrit RadioActive> * Nope *
    [04:09:29] <skrit RadioActive> * Its not a bug that drill gives you 50% *
    [04:09:32] <skrit RadioActive> * it's a feature *
    [04:09:38] <skrit RadioActive> * and it's not going to be fixed or sth*
    [04:09:45] <takeashot> D:
    [04:10:01] <takeashot> * DragonShark is a liar *
    [04:10:08] <skrit RadioActive> * yup, he is *

@DragonShark pls

17. DragonShark

DragonShark The one post after the other. Donator

It's the truth!
    I tested it, maybe I couldn't see correct but I am trying to make everyone using drill because I was thinking that it really did 100%. Because I saw the drill doing 4 by small stones and 6 or 8 by big stones.
    So I was not lying, I really didn't want to.

18. Malitha

Malitha Shipwright
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

If you watched this video first, you'd know it was fact and not fiction...

Gurin likes this.
  19. You must've done something wrong. Watch the video in the OP or redo the test yourself. Either way, please don't encourage newbies to use drills ::):

20. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

The worst thing is that Dragon is telling this shit since at least few weeks, build 1120 ::D: I well remember when this patch was out and we had discussion about drilling on the server. Dragon told me that was fixed and started to drill. I couldn't believe this! - there was nothing about this in the changelog. I rag'd out and checked it on single player.
    > I knew that was bullshit!
    I hope so ::D: