1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

On votekicking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Potatobird, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Stop blindly pressing the "Yes" button goddamnit

When you want to votekick somebody, unless they're an obvious speedhacker that everyone has seen, EXPLAIN what they did to deserve votekicking so the other team knows how to vote. If you are on the other team and don't know exactly what happened, DON'T agree to the votekick!

People are very votekick happy these days, and even though there's a scary message or two in the menu telling people the oh-so-severe consequences of false votekicking, people still start votes for stupid shit.

Let's have a little pop quiz: which of the following are good reasons to votekick somebody?
    -They're building something in a different way than you
    -They accidentally knock a few blocks down
    -They don't quite seem to understand what they're doing
    -They make a dinghy (or two) (or ten)

None of them you fuckwits. I have seen people votekicked for all of those things (except the dinghy one)

I believe that only intentional large scale griefers and hackers should be votekicked, and you don't have to agree with me (but you should). Just make sure that you actually take the two seconds to figure out who's getting kicked, who's kicking them, and what they did.

That said, if the entire server agrees that dinghymakers are terrible people and doesn't want any dinghys in their game then sure, votekick them. Votekicking should mean that the majority of the server agrees that nobody wants that player in the game, reason or not. What it usually ends up actually meaning is "the window came up so I hit yes".

And even if you just want the window to GTFO so you can play, PRESS NO. It's not ideal because then the one who started the vote could get kicked, but the "Abstain" button isn't here yet.

...yes I wrote this after getting votekicked for no reason

2. Zilophos

Zilophos Catapult Fodder

I agree with you totally. People are so ignorant when it comes to actually doing whats right. I've been kicked/banned from servers multiple times before because of false accusations, or some other ridiculous reason. Just today I tried to tell people that there was a hacker on red team. Long story short, people start saying I'm the hacker and I get kicked instead. Most of the time this kind of behavior ruins the game for me. It isn't fair to me, or anyone else when we are falsely kicked/banned.

I personally work for a (Trying To Not Advertise) server, and know what to look for when it comes to hackers. In KAG, its pretty simple too. All you normally ever see are speed-hacks, so its pretty easy to find out who the person is, and get them out of the server. Yet people still make uneducated decisions when it comes to votekicking.

Also, check out THIS thread.
    This person has a fantastic idea that I really hope comes to KAG as soon as possible.

3. sinitreo

sinitreo Shopkeep Stealer
    1. Zen Laboratories

LOL, it seems like we are playing different KAG, gentlemen. I'm tired of not being able to kick the guy who ruines my/others stuff and makes fun of it. Too many times people just ignore it. So yeh... voting system is very far from being at least acceptable.

Malitha likes this.
  4. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

If the other team don't vote for kicking a griefer/hacker/afk the votekick never succefully kicks the target. Also, the votekick message takes up 1/5 of my screen which can be a great handicap sometimes and there is no do nothing option for votekicks.

There were already suggestions for implenting a grief-screen (a little hud showing what the target is doing)
    Contra: not too easy to implement, the extra screen would take up even more place and a griefer could simply stop griefing the moment a votekick starts.

A system (not used anymore) should auto detect griefers. But geti misses the skills to get such a system working properly. that's why we can't have nice things.

5. It's hard to detect what is griefing and what isn't - the best and easiest method of preventing griefs is to have admins on at all times, and make sure they're mature individuals who won't abuse power.

6. dinotree

dinotree Shark Slayer

Ever since I got un-fairly vote kicked for "griefing I've alway's voted no <3" (unless I saw them do it and agree)

7. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

having admin's 24/7 is not supportable, besides they can kick someone faster, but most towers collapse before that happens.

It's not that hard if you don't let the system kick players. The system already detects deconstructive players. If you change that to a rating system, it would be way easier to kick potential griefers.
    eg.
    Player X collapsed a building with 5 blobs created from the own team. Player X rating +5 (5)
    Player X killed a teammate, rating +5 (10). 10min without change of playerX's rating, rating -3 (7).
    Votekick started against Player X 6 votes needed instead of 8.

It's just a suggestion, I don't rly care if it gets implemented due to the fact that a griefing detection system takes up more ressources and I prefer better performance.

PinXviiN and kodysch like this.
  8. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

It's fun how people always post these threads about votekicking and abuse of it in a place that said people don't even know of or bother to actually look it up somewhere.

That being said, there have been countless amounts of these threads. Y u no search and add your opinion?

Pizza likes this.
  9. Darknighte9

Darknighte9 Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. KAG Competitive League

I feel like votekicking is the best, and worst thing for KAG. Today I was on Black Death CTF and was helping build shops, reinforcements, and also a tree farm. I'm a big fan of underground tree farms and shops because in the long game especially on large maps, many original structures that are built above ground do not see things through to the end of the match. Anyways back on topic, I dropped a pine seed down in an area close to spawn that I had dug out primarily for a tree farm. Along comes a guy named obzeen who chops down the tree I planted and then proceeds to take it above ground along with the saw I recently purchased. Since there was only one other tree near spawn I decided to go take back my pine seed and saw and put them where I originally had them. For whatever reason, he somehow thought that was griefing and without any warning attempted to vote kick me. Within 30 seconds I was kicked out 10 to 3 for something I didn't even do. (shout out to Lord Quickstone and the two others that voted against and for bailing me out when obzeen tried to vote kick me a second time) I could go on about the problems of the votekicking system but it absolutely annoys me when people just blatantly click yes without even trying for a second to fathom what is going on.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    PinXviiN likes this.
  10. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I have to admit that most times that a vote comes up, I have no idea what's happening (since there is no discussion in chat), so I just pick one option randomly, just to get rid of the annoying pop-up. If people shout "GRIEFER" in the chat, I'm more likely to pick the kicking option, but I don't know if the person being vote-kicked is the actual griefer.

I wish I could just not vote, and let it be tallied as if there was one fewer person. Of course, the pop-up is too much of an obstruction for me to wait it out, so I just pick one anyway.

Other times, I accidentally select one while I'm playing, because it appears in a place where I'm moving my mouse.

PinXviiN and Potatobird like this.
  11. Takain

Takain Ballista Bolt Thrower

do you know COD kill cam? would be wonderful if when a votekick starts the votekicked player's last steps would be shown in a small box near the votekick message (but would have to decrease the message considerably, its too big :/), i generally only vote on the kick option if someone trustworth voted, or if someone tell me on skype the vote is legit, im almost aways playing on skype, else i ignore the message

edit-
    "-They make a dinghy (or two) (or ten)"
    there is a player which i dont remember the name, which keeps making catapults and dinghys to throw then and make that water glitch, wasting wood, gold, and time, instead of building, i already votekicked him like 3 times from random servers and banned him on my server, having fun is ok, but not slowing your team down and doing antigame stuff

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    kodysch likes this.
  12. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Actually the vote is dependent on yes votes, not voting and voting do the same thing since the amount of yes votes is what determines the vote.

13. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I thought that enough no votes kick the voter. That's why I make sure to vote no if the griefer is on the other team, and yes if the person is likely innocent, and on the other team.

14. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I don't think so but i've been wrong before

15. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I hate when people just start votes like that.
    I mean, on one match, an idiot kicked the one good guy on my team (other than me) for killing his chicken.
    And everyone voted yes even though he was knight and in the enemy base.

I think that they should bring back the Type Reason option with votes, so you can actually kick people for legit reasons. Then, the regular votes would be obsolete.

Another thing that I wish would happen would be to tell what the votekick was that kicked you.
    Whether it was griefing, teamkilling, a ping-kick, or kicked by a mod, it's devastating for new people to be randomly disconnected, and then show that you were banned. After all, in almost every game and in real life, ban means that you are gone for good.

16. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well then no vote should be able to be seen by the people getting voted for griefing. IE, if they click to vote normally it still shows on the chat that someone started one, and who is voting. So, make those invisible to the people getting voted out so they have not a single clue that anyone is even voting, coupled with the image/video showing them griefing when you vote them out.

17. Takain

Takain Ballista Bolt Thrower

ps: he isnt a griefer

sinitreo likes this.
  18. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

The pain is real on the vote-kick system. I saw players who just wander, doing nothing bad when suddenly they get kicked with a 9 yes-0 no vote. But they are so blind even admins hardly help here.
    If you vote you should state the exact reason, like: throwing saw to spawn/drill our tower, not just "griefed"
    I got tired of random votes, so I ask the people for a reason, but no answer comes. Either they are mad kids who hate someone, or just don't read the chat.
    They won't listen to admins, or if you freeze them they get mad.
    Next thing is the next map vote. Some doesn't even see it, and it needs way too much vote. It often fails with a 16-5 (17 required) vote... triple vote spam intensifies
    The vote box also hides the bottom of the screen.
    My solution: The good old 'Press F1-yes or F2-no' would be nice.
    -You can't see what others vote (prevents chat spam and following other's vote blindly)
    -It is show in the chat, not on the screen
    -You press a button instead of clicking

Dargona1018 likes this.
  19. Boea

Boea Such Beta

So more or less, Alpha Voting (that had a small translucent window w/ timer at the top corner, where nothing ever happened), but with chat posted starts, and stops.

That's preferable to what we have.

20. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

If they added the "video" idea, and add back the "give a reason" option, it'd help out a lot.

Dargona1018 likes this.