1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Save Sandbox Maps

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by tru0067, Jun 23, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

A feature which allows players to save their sandbox creations, as well as load, import and export their maps.

This would allow people to have ongoing builds, test maps, parkour/adventure maps.

This feature could entail only a save/load button, and all importing and exporting could be done through placing map files into the corresponding folder in the KAG files., or there could be a fully fledged import, export, download and upload thing, where you wouldn't need to open up a file viewer.

This would allow people to share cool map/build ideas, create parkour or adventure maps for single player experiences.

I think this would be a great feature that could be added, and is definitely an avenue which I think the devs should look into.

Strylian and Ricket like this.
  2. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

"Map files" are essentially png files, each object is a pixel. Png files are converted to a map of colorcoded tiles and -blobs. It is hard to revert this as some entities may have moved, and you can't have a pixel @ position [5.86, 24.12], or two overlapping pixels for that sake. Everything must be locked into a grid.
    Other non-img filetypes would be difficult to edit.

3. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

So block placement could be saved, but stuff like trampolines would not

4. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

anything that doesn't move could in theory be saved easily, but I doubt it can be modded at the moment, as the Angelscript interface probably doesn't allow access to the filesystem.

5. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

@tru0067 try making a map using paint.net etc (look for help on forums) Then load your map to test it.

6. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

The idea is to be able to save from sandbox to a png.

7. EhRa

1. KRPG

Ik, You could do that in classic using editor and you could probably do it using the editor mod in BETA.

8. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

You could save maps in classic as .kag files, which saved stuff like outposts and catapults. However, I'm not sure if that still (in release) works though.

Pizza likes this.
  9. EhRa

1. KRPG

Wait In classic or beta cause you can still in classic?

Mods: Rainbows