1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

I miss KAG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darcia, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Darcia

Darcia Chief Fur Love Director <3 Donator Tester

Hi everyone. Am I the only one who doesn't like the direction this game is going? I miss KAG, I really do. I just don't enjoy what we have now. I don't like it at all. It's become more of a quick fast-paced strategy game. I enjoyed old-KAG, where fighting and maps lasted forever, and castles were destroyed and built quickly.

That's not to say I hate the new game, I just feel it's almost another genre to what KAG used to be. I do like the coin idea, but other than that I hate everything else. I’m actually really sad because I miss the old game, and I really hope they bring in an arcade mode. If they don't then I really don’t see myself playing this game again, which is not good for me since I really enjoyed the old game.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one with these thoughts, or if others 'miss' KAG, too. Anyone else want an arcade mode?

Solomon-Grundy likes this.
  2. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Please name specifically what you miss, because if you don't it is just meaningless nostalgia.

The quick building and destroying was something I enjoyed too. Yet I didn't see a future in that direction. I would like to try it again though. It will probably happen with wooden structures. So we might do an arcade mode, without any buildings, without warmup time and with quickly built wooden structures.

Eggnogg, Foxodi, Acavado and 2 others like this.
  3. Mornaval

Mornaval Shopkeep Stealer

Sounds like you miss knights spawning with a bomb.

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I like new KAG. I liked old KAG too but I think I'd be bored already if it were still old KAG.

Eggnogg, Acavado, Birdman159 and 4 others like this.
  5. Darcia

Well, firstly I miss the longer matches. Matches that have no limitations in spawning and no death counter. I also miss the way knights could destroy castles, I felt this was quite fun to do. I don't like the gliding system, as I feel it has changed the way traps work. I miss the length and size of games that used to exist, and the way they could progress either way. In matches now, buildings are not as important once the game starts. In the old games, builders could spend ages digging for gold and expanding outposts slowly. I miss the 'style' of gameplay, the sword fights and the battles. Right now I see the game progressing to something else entirely, and focusing on quick strategy instead of long skirmishes.

I'll have to have a think on this for a while, there are quite a few things I'll need to consider on the old vs. the new that I have not mentioned here.

It’s difficult to envision a future for an old-mode. Obviously such things can stagnate, and the nostalgia that entices me to play would not be favorable for new players. But I do see a future with the old style, with changes that enhance existing gameplay rather than changing it as the new builds do. However, this sounds like more of a ‘fork’ or mod than a future game mode.

Interestingly, that's one of the few things I don't miss. I love the new coin system (and not just because I can get three bombs each life with a good kill:death ratio), and it is one of the few things I enjoy in the new game.

lehoon and Eggnogg like this.
  6. smalltrouble

smalltrouble Shipwright

If you want longer games play on the Capture the Bacon server as that has no respawn counter on it. While I do miss the older versions of KAG you need to remember the game is in alpha so what the game looked like at the start wasn't what the final product will be. The game needs to move forward and we can't stay in the past.

0008 and IloveElectro like this.
  7. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Sorry you feel that way Darcia I loved dueling with you. IMO the game is better now than ever.

Mathewson likes this.
  8. Darcia

D'aw, I miss killing you too, Noburu. I just like the old game much better. I think it is mostly because I feel the new game is too fast-paced and short.

9. Noburu

You can still play on the unlimited unit servers, its just like it always has been.

10. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Darcia, server owners can do a lot of customisation of the game modes.
    If we had a server setting for whether or not knights were allowed to destroy stone it would be possible to make a game mode that was almost the same as old kag.
    The big issue of unit counts is already easily addressed though - we have a couple of servers around that have unlimited respawns and even one (mine :D) that has no respawns at all, which is a very different mode indeed!

Eggnogg, Noburu and Neat like this.
  11. WillyBoy

WillyBoy Shipwright

I miss outposts that stayed where you built them :( ...other than that, the new kag is great!

If OPs are to be moveable, I think it should only be moveable by the player who built it. Not joe-schmoe who decides he wants it RIGHT next to the battlefront, where it is captured and all are efforts are lost cuz of one dense move.

Darcia likes this.
  12. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

I'm fine with most of the changes but the knights spawning with bombs was kind of.. Unsatisfactory :P

13. Solomon-Grundy

Solomon-Grundy Shopkeep Stealer

I miss the old game too, but am still having a great time with the latest version. I think the coin system, workshops, and battle tweaks (knights not destroying stone = big improvement) are a step in the right direction. I also like how castles hold together better and you really feel like you're fighting in a certain environment.

The unit counter (as I've already said too many times probably) is not something I like. There have only been a handful of times when the counter ran out where I didn't think "jeez, and this was just getting interesting..." Maybe because I have been playing for so long, and have a lot of good memories of epic 1 hr+ matches. And joining a server only to see "NO UNITS LEFT" or <20 or so = big time disappointment.

I think one problem with counters is that most severs (at least on the ones I've played on) seem to just have the default unit count (120 or whatever it is), which I think is too short. People should try setting to 2 to 3 times that and see how that match length feels...

Mornaval likes this.
  14. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

Overall I think it is a good step, I stopped playing a while before the workshop patch because onslaught after onslaught got kinda tiring.
    And while I get why they have been removed, the missing bombs on spawn annoy me pretty much, since every 2-3 lives I come into a situation where I could use a bombjump but end up not having one left.
    It's a bit too unforseeable when you'll need a bomb for my taste, but that's pretty much it.

15. Miczu

Miczu Shopkeep Stealer

As for long games - found server with have map size of 1000x150 its f*** huge. Map wont end up in holes but every block forward is a big chunk of time and I must say I liked it... but it crashed maybe due maximum of 50 players on it?

Good idea would be making everything new in game as server variable - so you could mix it with old stuff and get infinite number of possibilities.

16. Noburu

I think maps usually dont need to be more than 100 blocks high, preferably 75 or less. It tend to make skybridges less of an issue and focus the gameplay.

17. Miczu

Miczu Shopkeep Stealer

Dunno, sever hosted (?) by MM with hight of 50 ends with traps/holes into bottom of the earth and those things are nasty and make turtling infinity effective xD

Making map 4 digits long make sky bridges also less annoying - can't make it from one base to the other...

18. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

I know a way that might make everyone happy.Make it all a server side option.

Insta-destroy blocks:1 or 0
    Insta-build:1 or 0
    Knight can break blocks.1 or 0
    Etc
    :D

19. Noburu

That is probably a possiblity in the future, just dont forget this game is still in heavy alpha stages.

20. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

The old KAG is something I do miss, but it's one of those things like:

"If I could just play a few matches in it one last time..."

I think Contrary is right. We would all be bored now if KAG had remained the same.