1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress - Praise Armok!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by TerryDactyl, Jun 3, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

The surgeon actually ended up being skilled in a few other medical fields, and the footless dwarf is now happily hobbling around and gluing pond turtle shells to all of my barrels :)

Now I just have to set up a military, blech. The most horrifying menu in the entire game (at least that I know of).

2. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Yeah ! For saving his live !
    I remember one of my current forteress. I had a similar storie.
    It was the start of my settlement, I had two miner who fell in love to each other. Unfortunately, one of them got into a cave-in, due to my mistake and overconfidence in their competence (never trust them in too complex task), and get him badly wounded. I tried as hard as possible to keep him alive, I even grow pig tail early just to make rope for his suturing, traction bench, and cloth for his wound, bucket to bring him water. Alas, I start to build my well to late and the water froze. I had to ask her lover to dig as deep as possible to get to the cavern level to save him from thirst. But he died. I felt so wrong for my two miners, that I build for him a coffin made of the finest granit, in a tomb of smooth gold ore floor, and a memorial slab at his name, and next to him his pick axe and the coffin for her lover, for the day she will die, and unite again.
    This was a sad sad day.

Good luck for the military screen, I find it to be a game by itself. I really hope he will make it more user friendly one day. I have nothing to say how DF menu is in general, but this one is an exception.
    The hardest is still to make your military do what are supposed to do. I tend to use cheesy defense, like tower full of crossbow dwarves, magma pump and trap.

EDIT : THE RELEASE IS OUT ! http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2014-07-07
    HUZZAH ! BLOOD & SLAVES FOR ARMOK !
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 8, 2014, Original Post Date: Jul 3, 2014 ---
    Toady One the Great on the day of 07/07/2014

Here is the world activation release! Lots of processes from world generation -- birth, invasions, succession, site foundation, and so on -- now operate in the world after play has begun. Getting all of that to work led to a meandering route through various pieces of the game, some of which are described below. Aside from any bugginess, a lot of it will still feel rough and unfinished as things bump around.

New stuff
    • World activation! There are a few things that aren't active, like megabeast invasions, but lots of world gen actions made it into the game. Birth, death (to the extent it wasn't handled before), marriages, site foundation as well as reclaims, basic succession and appointments/etc., invasions, as well as some more detail beyond world gen, like patrols, banditry and animal population handling. We still don't have army battles -- the invasions are all successful right now, unless they are locally interfered with by you.
    • The game advances two weeks before each play -- the calendar there still moves slowly when there's a lot of action, as there is in larger worlds, but there are quite a few things I can do soon to speed that up. Due to the speed of the calendar, new forts in particular also get just two weeks. This'll probably cause some shenanigans with the caravan (or you'll just have to wait a year in an autumn fort for your first one) until we sort it out.
    • Fortresses can be retired and unretired. Losing is still fun but if it doesn't happen when you want, you can put it off for a while. Retired forts can be conquered (much more easily than they would be if you still controlled them), so don't be surprised if you have to reclaim instead of being able to unretire sometimes. You can reclaim forts that didn't make it through world generation.
    • Site maps for dwarves, elves and goblins. These are very basic, but they are there, anyway.
    • Multi-tile trees and lots of new plants. Fruit and flowers. Leaves that fall in little clouds. I had to put off dwarf mode tree harvesting, but we should get to that before long.
    • Megabeasts/forgotten beasts can attack, destroy and then reside within world gen sites like dwarf fortresses.
    • Various movement changes. Climbing/jumping/sprinting in both modes, though invaders still require a line of site to use them. Adventure mode has a stealth rewrite, and some elements of that are present in dwarf mode (it is generally easier to spot thieves and ambushers, and I'll probably need to make them smarter about finding cover). Movement and combat are separate now. Startled people climb up the walls of their homes a little too often.
    • Tracking information in adventure mode. You can pull up a little window and see tracks (capital K), and you can also have it describe the freshest track that isn't yours to more easily stay on a trail (alt K). Tracks are also part of the regular look command.
    • Different levels of conflict -- your opponents in adventure mode will be listed with the current status (non-lethal, lethal, no quarter, etc.).
    • Combat moves take place over a period of time now, and you can do things like catching an opponent's attack -- you have to do that by targeting a grab at the offending part now (reactions used to have a menu, but that was before combat got more smeared out). You can get information about what attacks your opponent is doing in the attack menu -- the quality of the information depends on your situational awareness skill. You can add adjective modifiers to your attacks (quick/heavy/etc.) and you can perform more than one attack at a time for a significant penalty to its force. It might make sense with two adamantine swords or something, twirling them about.
    • Rumors of incidents can be spread, and the rumors need to be spread before you gain reputation (good or bad). Killing all of the witnesses to an event will effectively remove it from play if you don't let them get off the screen. People are a little psychic as it regards ongoing conflicts, so that they can make decisions non-stupidly. Your liaison can share rumors with your fort, but I still need to set up the screen for reviewing them after you've seen them the first time... not that you can do much with the information.
    • You can travel through tunnels.
    • You can get a guide to travel with you to a faraway place -- it still ended up being too cumbersome, so locals continue to be able to tell you the location of sites, but only within a certain distance of their home town.
    • In general, conversations have been redone. They no longer have their own screen, but run along with other actions, and there are many more options.
    • The mind has been rewritten quite a bit -- people now experience emotions according to different circumstances (lots of awkward monologues there), and they consider actions differently. The main outstanding issue is that I didn't get around to converting existing dwarf mode thoughts, so they sort of exist concurrently with the new emotions and that needs to be changed. I'll get to that before job priorities (which was one of the main shorter-term reasons for the rewrite). Some dwarves have life-long dreams and it is possible for them to recognize that they've accomplished the ones relating to skills and family. They cannot yet realize their dreams of taking over the world.
    • The paragraph at the beginning of adventure mode was marginally more useful, but that slipped a bit at the end as things were tweaked. I think it'll still describe certain invasions and abductions, but it needs to be redone.
    • Lots of new arena options -- not just the conflict state, but you can set the temperature etc. to all sorts of extremes.
    • Some experiments with procedural items, though the new demon-type sites are still quite un-fun now. The knowledge on the slab at the bottom can be used, but it is probably not worth the trouble.
    • The stuff I forgot

Bug fixes
    • I'm sure several old bugs were "fixed" as large portions of the code was rewritten/removed, but I haven't tried to track exactly which ones. Bug fixes will commence in earnest now, and everything will be handled over at the bug tracker
    I' ve just started the adventure mode. Seems, there is background for your character now.
    df.png
    As promised, there is multilevel trees. At least it seems to be it.
    aspromised.png
    At first, I tought I was surrounded by some vicious ogre but no... Tree have now a top or whatever, it is just awesome and looks great. And it go for at least 8 z-level.
    yeah.png Damn, I just crashed. I should have been waiting for that. It seems the new talking system has some issue when you try to talk to a deity... Maybe the existential message is too powerful to be simulated otherwise by a game crash. Anyway, I so excited !

It seems that npc now have their own little discussion. And that the marksdwarf has some problem climb the wall.
    Sans titre.png
    You can now tracks people and beast, and sneak in fast travel
    travel.png
    Soooo many dwarves. No shit, my game was laggy.
    somany.png

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Potatobird likes this.
  3. holy crap some of these new features are hilarious

I can drink my own tears and force enemies into submission by sheer aggression!

Sir_Walter and Chinizz like this.
  4. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Now on full splinter cell mode.
    sneak.png
    On top of a tree.
    tree.png

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Shadowor likes this.
  5. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Oh my! So much new awesome feature, I can't handle it!
    You can still win a fight after you got beaten up by doing some epic move, or spit in the face of others! :o
    Or do some epic parkour move on the trees, climb them then sprint-jump on top of the leaves like Tarzan does!
    The Arena mode... I have no words for it, if you are creative you can build your own world and play in it like an RP game
    About to do my leap of faith on my map:
    leapoffaithdf.png

6. Potatobird

Been playing a little bit of fortress mode- did the plants always bloom and change color depending on the season? Or is that new? In any event, it looks really cool:
    [​IMG]
    These ones are all brown, but when the garlics were in season there was some purple and white in there too. It's really cool seeing them all pop up around the same time.
    The dwarves really seem to like climbing trees. Whenever one doesn't have a job, you can find them up in some tree. It causes "Dangerous terrain" spam when they decide to come down, lol. Hell, even the migrants are climbing trees on their way to my fortress. I'm also buried under logs. Did the cost of wooden stuff go up with the bigger trees, or is wood just really plentiful now?

Updates in dwarf fortress are apparently a lot more exciting because the changelog is like five main things and then "everything else I forgot". And then there's the bugs
    [​IMG]

7. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Wow, this screenshot is amazing. So many trees... So many trees to cut and burn. Are the clover represent tree sprout?
    I don't remember clearly, but you can see the change in the environment depending the season. Pounds and brook dry in summer in hot climate. Or the trees turning red/yellow when you reach fall in temperate climate. I might be wrong, so you better look for yourself. But yes you can see tree grow in former version. It's going to be interesting to see how Toady make the tree grow from sprout to big ass tree like in the Elven forest retreat.

What type of biome did you embark to? It might be just a heavily forest area.

8. Potatobird

Yeah, it's very heavily forested with lots of vegetation - but I was talking more about the plants than the trees. At a certain time of the year, I guess, a bunch of purple garlic plants just popped up all over the map. The vegetation outside is always changing, I don't remember this in the previous version.

9. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

It seems to be your embarkement settings. I don't have this type of crazy vegetation.

10. Vegetation has always changed, though it really depended on what plants were in your locale. For the most part, in a normal, non-good, non-evil environment, your plants will alternate between green and brown to represent their deciduousness.

In Good environments, lots of blue pops up.
    In Evil invironments, they can grow fairly well all year around, but you also have a plant that blinks at you - it's described as an eye on the end of a plant.

11. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

I've got also this vegetation change.
    crazyplants.png
    There is new plant. I have chicory, cabbage and potatos to harvest. Yum.
    cotton.png
    Armok ! I have a full wild cotton field. I will never have any problem to dress my drwarves anymore.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Potatobird likes this.
  12. Potatobird

Note: while my embark has tons of cherries, plums, pears, blackberries, and other succulent fruits, there is no way to actually harvest them. Some of the new plants that I was able to harvest don't seem to have any use, although I can make alcohol from some of them, which is good enough for me!

At least they look nice. (although when the cherries and apples were blooming it looked a hell of a lot like fire, not that I've ever seen a fire)

I guess it's just the addition of all the new plants, but wow, spring has never been quite this beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    Berries, fruits, all sorts of pretty stuff

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. Stealth is way op. I'm oneshotting dwarves by kicking them.

gg dwarf
    [​IMG]

Noburu and Sir_Walter like this.
  14. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Tree fruit are not harvestable even on the floor, at least I'm happy they can't harvest fruit on tree, since I'm sure they would find a way to die and get stuck, but it could be fun to be able to make an orchard and tree farm.
    I was really disapointed that you can't harvest cotton, even if it seems that on adventure mode some npc wear cotton clothing. I've got some seeds from the new plants (alfalfa, potato, carrot...) I going to try some outdoor farming.

It seems that there is also a lot less kobold thief and snatcher, a year has passed and only 1 kobold thief has tried to come in my fortress. Also migrant got now some crazy new skills, a lot of them have Great/Talented/Adept level on labor, combat and social skills.
    Animals seems to reproduce a less more. For the moment I have no sign of catsplosion or dogsplsion. It anoys me a bit, since cat and dog were amongst my primary source of food and leather. I haven't tried yet to see if my turkey can reproduce. It may only be that cat and dog take longer to make babies now.

About the stelth system, I found it really nice that you can choose different mouvment speed, and that you can use cover around you and the lign of sight. But it seems to be a bit OP even on novice ambusher.
    [​IMG]

DF 0.40.02 is out.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  15. Potatobird

Crash fixes for adventure mode and other little fixes.

I'll stick with the previous version, because .02 isn't compatible with .01 saves! I'm playing fortress mode anyways, never tried adventure mode. How is it?

16. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

If you want to play a good rogue-like rpg, I won't recommend it. The biggest (and only I find) interest is to be able to walk around the world DF has generated and become legendary in everything from sword to biter. There isn't much thing to do in Adventure mode.

Personnaly I had a bit a fun, I played it a really long time just to wait DF2014.

17. LemSpike

LemSpike Builder Stabber

I can't seem to find a good efficient fortress design D:

Other than that, I truly lob=ve Dwarf Fortress; it is easily my favourite game.

18. Fractals around a central column. Moving between Z-levels is one step, so if your dwarves don't have to move many X or Y tiles to get to their destination, it is better on FPS and things get done faster.

Beef, Noburu and LemSpike like this.
  19. Medieval

Medieval Haxor

I tried, i swear, i tried to play it :(
    But it's too hard :(

so now i kri kri kri and kri :QQ:

20. Try again. I struggled with it for months, but it eventually clicked. Don't forget about the Lazy Newb Pack, btw.

Mods: BlueLuigi