1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[947] What Ever Happened To Hiding In Trees?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by Duplolas, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Dubovnik

Dubovnik Drill Rusher
    1. Top Hat Squad [THS]

U dont think about bombs. and a few slash cut down tree and kill archer.
    hiding in tree is good but very defensless if knight doesnt here
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 21, 2014, Original Post Date: Jul 21, 2014 ---
    So the question: its good to hiding in tree or not?
    i should say yes, but careful: arrows maybe track ur position.

2. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

You shouldn't be staying in one position for one time anyway as archer. You will most likely die. Using your grappling hook, you can run away easily from bombs and such.

SirDangalang likes this.
  3. Dubovnik

Dubovnik Drill Rusher
    1. Top Hat Squad [THS]

u are right. but need to be mobile: bombs have distance bomb

4. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

hiding in trees is awful imo. knights can hop super high with a double slash. it doesnt take long to knock the tree down either. the biggest concern are other archers or bombs though. a random bomb even remotely close will knock your ass right off and u ded. i like trees for breaking falls or if you have no choice but id never stay in one spot at a tree. shit is just too hard to shoot arrows from constantly hipping and hopping around anyway

5. Dubovnik

Dubovnik Drill Rusher
    1. Top Hat Squad [THS]

Archer is mobile class, they can evade bombs and pick that. also archers can have water arrows to stun the knights who tries to kill archer in tree.

6. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

If the minimap hid your dot if you were crouching, that'd be wonderful. Trees are fine, really.

7. Dubovnik

Dubovnik Drill Rusher
    1. Top Hat Squad [THS]

So we need to test that

8. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Unless they just hold W down....................

9. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

OMG ok, I like the ideas of trees right now. The CLASSIC staying hidden in trees was WORTHLESS. They could easily bee choped/bombed out. I say NO to dis.

10. Dubovnik

Dubovnik Drill Rusher
    1. Top Hat Squad [THS]

Classic and Beta trees are different. On classic trees are big and archer can stay on them and can chop trees to make arrows. On beta trees are small, archer need rapidly click W to stay in trees and can't make arrows by chopping trees. On classic archer is useful to ambush and camp than on beta archers where they have bomb fire and stun arrows.

11. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

But you don't understand.

Archers weren't meant to camp (play with me sometime on TDM)

12. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

mfw that necro, J-man.

That said, what would be the problem with having archers able to stay in place in trees when holding down A & D (left & right) at the same time? I can't see it slowing anyone down when they don't want it, which was the main objection to the classic trees, iirc. :huh?:

SirDangalang likes this.
  13. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower

The current archer tree climbing mechanics do seem pretty hinky, to be honest. It seems like the devs weren't quite satisfied with the alpha method, but rather than remove it, struck a compromise that seems almost buggy (I know it isn't) in its counter-intuitive behavior.

I propose a combination of the above ideas; either remove the climbing (but keep the grappling), or keep the climbing, but make it more intuitive. Introduction of a key binding or key combination to NOT grab trees/ladders doesn't seem too far fetched.

Regarding "archers aren't meant to camp" point: I feel that is irrelevant to this point. The mechanic must stay or go on its own merits. People can play archer however they want, and with time, they'll learn that camping is suboptimal. Until them, let them camp all game, who cares?

14. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Gunna have to disagree with you on this one, hierb. As the miaow comic effectively illustrates, climbing trees as the default function is cancer. Now, having a key binding or key combination to GRAB trees I'd be okay with; but the alternate I can just see leading to frustrating deaths due to forgetting to turn it "off" as you try-to-escape-from-the-tree-quick-before-that-bomb-gets-me!

J-man2003, hierbo and Apronymous like this.
  15. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

What's wrong with just crouching? It makes you practically indistinguishable from a regular corpse, unless a knight is having a seizure or you get hit with a stray arrow.

16. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

There are a lot of tells to an archer playing dead:

- When your mouse is over a player faking death their name will appear if alive

- the minimap shows the position of all players on the map as blips, even if playing dead

- upon death archers drop their arrows and therefore visually have an empty quiver on their character, if a live character wishes to achieve the same look you'd have to throw them away and be defenseless

Finally to not go too off topic I don't understand the need to hide as archer. Personally I feel the class in beta is about drawing attention and breaking enemy tactics as half the enemy team tries to kill you giving your own team openings. :rekt:

I think passing through trees without the treacle slowdown effect would be awesome with mapping tree climbing to a key combination though :thumbs_up:
    What would that take to impliment?

17. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I still hide using the grappling hook, Dupupolopolous.