1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grendell100, Feb 17, 2014.

?

Would you like to have KAG Classic on Steam as free-to-play game?

1. Yes.

69.9%
  2. No.

19.1%
  3. I don't care.

11.0%
  1. miniu, Taiga, Alpaca and 1 other person like this.
  2. you guys literally have so many options open, did you not even hear how Rayne is working on a mod that brings Classic's mechanics into Release KAG? If you get on board with that, you can refine it more than just one person can do alone. it wouldn't look identical to classic, but the mechanics would be the same.

Regarding the "but Jagex kept RSC alive!" thing, Jagex is a multimillion dollar corporation, who can afford an overhead like that. THD is a small independent dev studio that needs as few overheads as possible. Fiscally, you cannot expect them to keep something that is producing negative amounts of revenue around.

Lastly, regardless of the whole "ur assholes/ur not assholes" thing, I am seeing a bloody lot of elitism about being "around since the dawn of time" vs. "signed up a year ago". Who cares if their account isn't as old as yours? It proves nothing.

Anonymuse likes this.
  3. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

Nine times out of ten new players will either completely skip over classic, or play for just a single day, and decide that they're suddenly an authority on the matter, or that they hate the game and it sucks cause they weren't able to become good at it the instant they started playing. If people really want to weigh in on the matter, they need to have played classic for at least a couple months so that they can know what the fuck they're talking about, and when their account is only a couple months old to begin with, it's incredibly unlikely that they've done so.

miniu, LetsplayCmansez and Beepo like this.
  4. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

Yeah so many options...
    Do you people just read what you want to read and skip over everything that doesnt look right to you?
    We already said we would support the game as a community and arent expecting any handouts. (although the source would be beautiful)
    We want to keep the server up via donations.

We dont want to eat a carrot that looks like a potato.
    We want the real thing.
    We should at least have the right to keep it alive with our financial support if nobody else will.

miniu, Andr01d, Oldatra and 2 others like this.
  5. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Well the farmer tried growing potatoes, however the land he owned wasn't right for potatoes but great for carrots. They tried fixing your issue by giving a carrot that looks like a potato, but your obviously too fussy willing to pay extra for carrots. But then what about the other 90% of people who like carrots?
    moral of the story; don't be greedy, the developers are dedicated to the release version of kag, not the small group of potato fags.

6. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

You come to this thread calling us 'potato fags' just let that sink in.

farhhanshafi and miniu like this.
  7. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

No I just find it irresponsible that you have this issue with how KAG is being developed, nothing personal.
    EDIT: not even going to bother joining this conversation, obviously its full of 'players from the beginning of time' who can't handle the idea of no.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  8. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

'you' You're saying that as if i'm the only one. Matter fact: I find it irresponsible that you find it a plausible idea to write such an idiotic post. Your word choice in it was terrible if you're trying to make anything 'nothing personal.' Have you even been caught up with what's happening in this thread? We've offered many suggestions (which have been ignored) to help resolve the current issue.

Dadafa, miniu and 101i like this.
  9. "You people"
    "IT'S US VS THEM".
    Mentality like that will just alienate the release community, you know? The best way to get people to come across to your way of thought is to welcome them, not alienate them.
    KAG Classic is closed source. It's not going to be open source. That's the way it is - that's the way its license is. There is probably never going to be KAG Classic Open Source.

Now perhaps, if Classic's master server does end up being taken offline, someone could perhaps develop an external browser like was done with Quake 3? It wouldn't be hard, there's already support for kag:// links in browsers.

Another thing - even if no one ends up starting their own master server, connect via. ip or kag:// urls would still work just fine.

Anonymuse likes this.
  10. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I started playing classic in 2011, and I'll say that this elitism here is retarded, who gives a shit if they started this year? But it's also pretty fukken rude to just come in here and say "give up nobody cares about you anymore", so I understand where you guys are coming from.

Reudh is right that using that "us vs them" mentality will just make it worse for you, it makes people not want to help you at all.

YES your suggestions are being ignored at this point, because they're shit. The dev team is still utilising the engine, it is the foundation of many of their games. Do you think they'll want to release it when they're still heavily using it? NO. You will not be receiving the source code, if you want to truly help your classic players you can do like Reudh said and develop your own server browser for when the classic master server goes down.

the only sensible suggestion i've seen here is to give donations to keep the master server up, but i honestly dont see that working for long unless you can set up regular donations from multiple people that could cover the server costs. even then, you'll still have hackers, griefers, and generally bad people.

I'm not telling you to move on to beta, you do what you want, but this thread is out of hand, keep it clean.

Anonymuse likes this.
  11. Andr01d

Andr01d Bison Rider

Man, the overwhelming majority of "elitism" on these forums has been from people plugged in with the developers, like you Rayne, who are maybe too close to the problem to see it.

Don't think of us as people in the KAG community, just think of us as people off the street, from society at large, who have an opinion about a game they played at one point. I paid for this thing, I think I'm entitled to an opinion however unvalued it may be. The "community" can try to discount that and paint us as weirdos who won't move on, but I prefer to see us as we really are: people who played a game at one point, and then a different game came out, and we didn't play the new one. That's all that's going on.

It makes sense that people who have invested time into Beta want to see it succeed. But for someone like me, I have no dog in this fight. I just like playing video games. If people want to yell at me for that, I think they're being silly.

miniu, Taiga, Oldatra and 1 other person like this.
  12. This essentially sums up like half the guards/forum mods in these threads lol

13. Someone lock this godam thread before some massive argument pop up again. For fuck sakes, get over it.

14. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Believe what you want, it's good to see all the effort i spent on getting geti to keep classic alive is wasted.

I've tried to get geti to give the source to someone like master, but he wouldn't allow it because of security issues.

I loved classic as much as anyone else on this thread so I will listen to master, "let it die".

miniu and Alpaca like this.
  15. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

This is coming from someone who bought the game not once, not twice, trice or quatro times, but around 30 times.

I'm 99,99% sure Geti (+ THD) won't change their minds.
    0,01% Geti's Austrialism awakens and he updates Classic

101i likes this.
  16. Oldatra

Oldatra Bison Rider
    1. Delta Force - Delta

You just moved on.As you said "LOVED".If you still loved it, you wouldnt want to see it end. We like the game. If it dies then there will be just the "no teamwork too fast playing spiderman" beta..
    We dont want to see it die.We want to carry on. Before, you said "YES your suggestions are being ignored at this point, because they're shit."
    We suggested to buy the code, we suggested to donate for the master server, we suggested to repair the bugs and put it on steam ... How is all that shitty?

miniu and Rayne like this.
  17. its shitty because you were told "No." and somehow you still are not able to decipher the meaning of that word

also would help if you read entire post of Rayne's

Galen likes this.
  18. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

I thought we were a community, people are just fighting for their sides, im not in one side because i like both games ( i play classic more often) well, if @Rayne is making a mod for classic being in beta im sure i will enjoy it, but, there is only one problem, what about all the people that cant buy KAG? i gusss i will lose all my non-premium friends, i wont say its selfish (for taking down a game that lots of people enjoy) and i guess only because of that word this comment will get hate, premium people wiill get the beta-classic rayne server solution, but what about the non-premium people?

well, i guess its unevitable.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 23, 2014, Original Post Date: Aug 23, 2014 ---
    just close the thread and let the dev's conscience do it.

will they close the game and gain more money? or will they be big-hearted and let the game be?

19. As (I think) Geti said before: If you can afford to buy a computer that can run KAG, a gold account should be affordable for you, too. (Or not? =o)

20. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

some people buy computers with a big effort, some people own their parents computer, and they cant buy KAG, some just bought a PC and they are low on money, so they play free games

also, i cant play in a beta server with +16 players, i just lag to death, im always on TDMs or low populated CTFs/TTHs

miniu likes this.