1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grendell100, Feb 17, 2014.

?

Would you like to have KAG Classic on Steam as free-to-play game?

1. Yes.

69.9%
  2. No.

19.1%
  3. I don't care.

11.0%
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fun how much things flare up when you're busy elsewhere, hey?

I'm not planning on "killing" classic at this point, I'm not going to nuke any servers or make it patch to a black screen or anything, but I'm not going to patch issues and we may not be providing indefinite ban support (I'm sure Lucas has better things to do). It would of course be possible to do, but the costs at the moment are definitely manageable for the forseeable future (ironically due to revenue sourced from the release version) - just remember that there are costs involved, not just feelings.

Re: connecting if the API was taken down (for some reason) - yes, direct connect still functions, that's how peop

Re: Pls Source? Classic source code is incredibly unlikely to be released; as Rayne mentioned the new version of the crimson engine builds on the old but there's also the glaring issue of all of the possible exploits then being exposed and having to be fixed by the community faster than them being exploited by hackers - something that's not likely to end well for the game at all. We'd also have to manage people to be in charge of autoupdates or completely disable autoupdate functionality and any other interoperability, neither or which are favourable to us or you guys. In short - No.

Re: "master server" - The "master server" is a slightly old version of the KAG Web API which is unlikely to be discontinued in the forseeable future - but also not likely to be updated with server blacklisting or anything similar. It's also not likely to have source released (as it currently requires the kag account tables to function).

Re: unfinished - welcome to indie games, mate :^) We do the best we can to put together a cohesive multiplayer experience, but there's a lot of legacy baggage and we don't really have the numbers or budget to just throw people at a list of tasks - we address things one at a time prioritised by.

Re: "Classic" VS "Beta"
    • The antagonism here is pretty clear, from both sides. Please leave your grumpy face at the door or I'll be locking this with a cheerful smile.
    • 90% of the classic players I've talked to haven't played the release version since the early days or at length and provide a lot of out of date "reasons" why they don't like the new version. Tbh I put this down to "they don't like it" and there's probably not much of a chance of getting them to like it - horse to water, make it drink, etc. If you're a classic player in this bucket consider giving the game another go; some classic mechanics have been moved over and the CTF format plays very, very similarly to classic CTF - especially on the servers with tickets mod - "Frission Tickets CTF" has just as much last stand stalemate action as 590 matches :^).
    • The lag is real; we're considering moving some of the more intensive stuff into the engine (something modders can't do) but we've got to make sure we're not shafting anyone relying on those scripts being there as well. This is the one thing I'd agree Classic has "over" KAG - of course, it's the reason its so crap to mod as well.
    • Yes, we're aware the game name hasn't been changed from "beta" on the installer. If I could fix that quickly/knew how the installer generation scripts worked, I'd be right on it. Unfortunately "beta" has sort of solidified as the distinguishing term; it's no longer "in beta".

miniu, farhhanshafi, EhRa and 2 others like this.
  2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

could you atleast add kag classic as a beta for steam so atleast players their who dont go on this forum can learn about it

3. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

That seems unfinished

re: people hatin on beta:
    I'm sure there are plenty of people on the classic side of this argument that dislike beta solely because they only played for a short duration before deciding they didn't like it, without having time to get good enough at it to really have fun (very rarely do people like things that they aren't good at). However, I'm sure there are also tons of beta players who, being new, have had the same experience in reverse, or, being old, only left classic because they thought it would be totally scratched, and have forgotten just how fun it is.

I really don't like how the beta, or full, or whatever, is being seen as a linear continuation to classic, because they really do have completely different game play experiences, and I feel a lot of people simply left classic because the beta was labelled as being the mandatory next step in the sequence, rather than an alternate route off to the side, like it really is.

4. PUNK123

it seems the builds are making beta classic more and more though

5. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

To add on to that:
    I hate how separated the community has become due to this whole situation but at the same time it's understandable.From my POV it seems that the alpha supporters are being told to 'move on' 'let it die' etc, yet where have those words gotten us?; Still, I didn't 'donate' and buy this game just to see it be left in the dust, I didn't buy beta, i'm pretty sure when I clicked 'yes' on my paypal that I purchased classic; So please clarify how the community voicing it's opinion is such an insult to the whole damn forum and has caused such an uproar,even if some of the supporters were overly aggressive there are still some very intelligent individuals in this thread who have contributed reasonable and quotable suggestions.

-True colors have truly been shown in this thread

miniu and InsaneMTL like this.
  6. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Kag Classic is dying. Deal with it. Nothing well help it come back and nothing will change the minds of the devs. Im sorry :QQ: It was fun playing classic, all those laughs :QQ:

7. That's been asked time and time again, and the devs have said no time and time again. What monetary incentive would they have? Would steam even let a buggy alpha through Greenlight?

8. PUNK123

not rlly considering whenever i log onto classic it has a solid 50-75ish players on which is still like a 3rd of beta

9. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

I would imagine it would also give THD a terrible name.

10. PUNK123

no like if you were to rightclick kag and go to betas then select alpha and would it rlly cost the devs anything?(i honestly dont know)

miniu likes this.
  11. EhRa

1. KRPG

@PUNK123 Just deal with it. KAG CLASSIC IS DYING!!!

12. Good question, imo.
    Eragon, why are you so angry, at all? = (

miniu likes this.
  13. EhRa

1. KRPG

Just wanted to argue xD

14. PUNK123

:facepalm:

i brought up a fact

15. EhRa

1. KRPG

I dont even understand that "fact"

16. Many have fought over this stupid topic to no clear answer (just look at all the other useless pages of nonsensical rubbish before you correct me). Only the Devs can put this in clearer words, Kag Classic is dying (player wise). I can already see the half a billion comments below saying "Kag Classic can be saved" and "Kag Classic is dead because of ppl like you" - before you do it think about it, it sounds like a load of rubbish from any player who has been playing before Beta came out (im not trying to act superior to anyone but from what i have seen this thread is alot of bickering about "elitist" and old players in general). I`m not here to say "Hey f*** all the Classic players" because i was one up until a few months ago, now i`m not saying i have left Classic to die or "converted" since i hate both terms, it sounds like i have left a religion and everyone from my old religion is throwing abuse. If you guys that have been playing for years now, accept that even if we get a Beta-Classic server it isn`t going to be the same as CLASSIC KAG(it will shut everyone up on this thread). Also i cannot believe the tenacity of some newer players saying "Hey, no one cares if you have been playing for years". that is essentially like saying "No one cares that you have played for almost years now, even though if i try to play a game of Classic with you i will get butthurt about losing". Newer players need to learn to deal with older players, and ffs older players need to get over old shit, "30-40 max players on Classic at any time?" by all means try and save Classic but if it dies don`t make a Shakespearean Drama out of it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  17. I don't read any of the massive bullshit that people just replied. It's seems like people these days can't get over with it.

18. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

And the newest form of idiotic comments in this thread rears its ugly head.

Kag classic isn't "dying," it still has plenty of loyal players with enough free time to waste on it, so as long as we have the ability to connect, which the devs confirm we will, we will be able to play together. Hypothetically, without gaining any new players, eventually too many people will get tired and stop playing, and there will no longer be enough users left to have games with, but that isn't going to happen for a long time. Plus, I'm an optimist, so I refuse to believe that the idiots building 1 way towers and attempting to slowly walk jab their way to victory are old players, so either someone's making bots again, or there are still new people finding classic.

No one gives a fuck about whether or not the game is "dying," IMO this whole issue came up when a couple players wanted to ask for some more support for classic, which was never going to happen, but the message got jumbled up somewhere along the telephone lines while they were asking for other members to join in, and turned into "the dev's are going to forcibly shut down classic." We know that that isn't going to happen, and we know that getting anything else done in for or about classic isn't going to happen either, so can we please just move the fuck along and stop spamming people with notifications for Poe's law comments?

PussyDestroyer, InsaneMTL and miniu like this.
  19. Chumind

Chumind Bison Rider

So our money of 1% is gone? Used to produced Beta which is nothing like classic? Thats kind of like a scam :/. I bought classic and never expected this "beta" thing to be so different
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 25, 2014 ---
    But, you still read it.

20. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

Oh. my. god. Lock this before someone ruins it for us all.

miniu, InsaneMTL and Alpaca like this.