1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 1236 - Fixes and Archer Tweaks

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

A quick one, so only a few changes this time around.

First up:

We’re hearing you on the archer shotgun changes

This has been a strongly dividing issue - some like it, some hate it, there are certainly more archers and more arrows flying.

To counteract this we’ve made the outer arrows of overcharged shots disintegrate after a moderate distance; you can still use them for support and CQC, but cant rain them in big arcs.

If this isn’t enough to stabilise the opinions around it and result in a good archer meta we’ll take a vote on where to go next. So far we’re seeing more archers, which we take as an indication that the class is currently more fun for the average joe - we’ve just got to find a balance that appeases the higher tier players and those maining other classes.

Fix and Tweak Summary

• Potential Fix for invisible mines
      This one has been clamoured about for a while - we thought this was fixed a few builds ago but
    • Fixed Builders getting half materials
      This was a hard to catch typo bug that slipped in halfway through the last round of changes; was good that it was caught early after the release though and has been fixed now.
    • Fixed some spike network sync issues
      at the cost of a little latency in the spikes reaction
    • Removed archer ignoring fixed camera setting
      We decided to just let players choose properly; some people have been complaining about this both ways so we removed the conflicting setting.
    • Clantag re-added to character name in scoreboard
      Adding a new column would take too long, so the clantag was just added to the name column again.
    • Clantag colour is same as name colour on mouse hover
    • Removed “invalid utf8 spam” for people with invalid names
      should just cleanly replace bad characters now.
    • Siege Engine Conversion Tweaks
      Siege engines can’t be converted in 0 seconds flat any more, and in fact cannot be sat into before conversion; This should make defending a forward ballista a little simpler and mean a little less “hot potato” seat swapping.
    We’ll see how it goes over the weekend, thanks for bearing with us with some of these more experimental changes!

Have Fun!

Max/Geti

Malitha, Noburu, The-Cub and 10 others like this.
  2. UltraMarine_Val

UltraMarine_Val Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

Thanks for every change and fix, is fucking awesome to remove the instant conversion for the ballista
    About the clantag, can you on the next upade fix the bug that make us (the AG) making ur clantag on eatch launch please ? when we make a # if get deleted and the words after it ( [AG#] > [AG )

8x likes this.
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

That quick fix, tho. I'm impressed by the rapid response and changes. Looking forward to testing these things out next chance I get.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

unfortunately not possible, # is a comment in the config file format that this stuff is saved into, so without breaking all config files there's no way to allow saved # in clantags, sorry.

Might be another one over the weekend (unfortunately for us :^( ), sounds like there are some servers crashing.

UltraMarine_Val likes this.
  5. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Good update, after spending one long game, I didn't seem to have as much lag end game as I usually do. I also didn't notice the infinite spike dropping bug that I had noticed in the last build. I personally like all of the changes.

6. rymcd

rymcd Bison Rider Staff Alumni Tester

"Fixed Builders getting half materials
    This was a hard to catch typo bug that slipped in halfway through the last round of changes; was good that it was caught early after the release though and has been fixed now."
    THANK YOU GETI.:heart:
    No more welfare builder lolol.

PanduhsFTW, Auburn and Apronymous like this.
  7. Auburn

That's probably easily the best change of this build, even though it shouldn't have even been in the last build. And I have yet to see any invisible mines (so much of an oxymoron there).

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

better i suppose now that arrow spam isnt everywhere (even though i still dont like the removing of legolas it doesnt bother me too much)just 1 thing could you remove the nerf for tdm having an archer battle is almost impossible

9. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

@Geti What do you think about redoing the legolas the same way the shotgun works so players can switch between firing modes with the spacebar. It would be less spammy if the 2nd and 3rd arrow disappeared at a distance. Now all archer players can be happy!

10. Ricket

Ricket Shipwright Staff Alumni
    1. Ethereal Legion- ETHER

RE the siege thing...

THIS MEANS I CAN'T DRIVE @Lee_Shioon AROUND IN A CATA ANYMORE (if we're on opposite teams ofc)

11. PUNK123

disappearing legolas tht is an even worse idea

12. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Why because I suggested it? Either provide a decent argument or go somewhere else

13. PUNK123

i have nothing against you but your attitude;the idea is baide because archers cant attack each other at a long RANGE which is the point considering it is a RANGEd class

14. Auburn

If the 2nd and 3rd arrows decayed fast, then it would be only effective at close range. Well, isn't the shotgun also effective at close range? Why do we need both when they fulfill the same purpose?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 6, 2014, Original Post Date: Sep 6, 2014 ---
    ugh, I hate double posting like this, BUT... Single shots are much more efficient at a range, as you can fire off one each second, rather than 3 every 5 seconds. The old legolas shot was meant for close range, not long range.

15. PUNK123

exactly and why is a ranged class only effective at close range

16. Auburn

They aren't? Special ammo and single shots are meant for long range, overcharge is meant for close range.

17. PUNK123

i am talking about across the screen not all the way across the map i find legolas worked perfect for tht and no legolas werent meant for up close unless your fighting a knight
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 6, 2014 ---
    special ammo was useful for range with legola for fire arrows, water and just basic arrows in a fight vs an archer

18. JiffIez

JiffIez Arsonist

Hmmm.....I'm interested in how siege engine changes will affect gameplay. Ballistae are now a viable option instead of just spawn capping madness. :thumbs_up:

19. neil58

neil58 Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Just spam single shots over a long range. It works just as well as spamming legolas shots anyways.

20. Auburn

The old legolas was really only efficient with water ammo when it comes to spec arrows, otherwise, not too useful. With how much archers move (or at least should be), it was hard to hit with all 3 shots from a legolas shot. And if you weren't up close fighting a knight, single shots were always more efficient at dealing damage to everyone.