1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Player Retention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tern, Sep 6, 2014.

1. JiffIez

JiffIez Arsonist

Remove top 100-200 players for 2-3 months and let lower-tier players grow. As far as I'm concerned, unless you're adding a storyline with single player gameplay, this is really the only way to MAYBE increase player retention. Or let top 100-200 players only play on certain servers and not ones where novices/new people are playing. Maybe add a handicap for new players (+1-2 hearts) and -1-2 hearts for players who go over 200 score. As the game is right now (and how's it's been the entire time I've played), top players "ruin" servers (unless the server is populated by mostly top players in which case it's a barrel of fun). We've all been on a server with relatively few masterful players and when one joins, after the match is over, suddenly 75% of the server leaves and doesn't come back on for a while. Not only this, but some top players have huge ego dicks that they must defend by countering any and all complaints with "noob," "get on my level," "not even trying," etc etc which only serves to exacerbate the problem at hand and does nothing to increase retention of players. Maybe top 100-200 players should be required to watch a sensitivity video every time they log in to ensure friendly-er gameplay? /sarcasm

In all seriousness, unless this problem is fixed, KAG will lose players consistently. I have no ideas for how to fix it because humans will be humans and some must have bigger ego dicks than others. Tiz the way of the world (looks at Ukraine situation).

2. Piano

Piano Haxor

So, you just want to have all of the amateurs+ to go into migration so they can have their thralls become more of a challenge?

3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

would a be hilarious if they added a kag awareness video you needed to watch to play online

4. ieatpieandlikepie

ieatpieandlikepie Drill Rusher

What if the creators lowered the price.....

5. JiffIez

JiffIez Arsonist

Yeah lowering the price can send off the message that "there's a reason it's that low of a price" type deal, so it's ill-advised :3.

Piano I said I have no real answers :3 feel free to take a stab at the problem though. I probably spec the most out of anyone because I enjoy watching and I can't help but see this recurring theme again and again. Everything is fine, people having good times, matches are mostly balanced, then a power player arrives and after 1-2 matches, everyone leaves.

On a side note, I believe a much more in-depth tutorial featuring advanced player tactics could potentially help with the new people having no idea what to do some times. The basic tutorial at the moment only addresses basic gameplay elements. If it addressed things such as falling spikes, keg slams, bomb jumps, etc., many more people would be aware of these things during a match. Also how about adding an npc mode where you can fight npcs or have to kill a specified amount? I see these npcs in the tutorial and never again. Couldn't they be used for a single player mode at least?

xRush101 likes this.
  6. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

I wonder... For those of you that have friends that don't play anymore, why not poll them a little - ask them what specifically made them stop playing or why they don't feel like playing. It would be better to get some solid answers so time can be put into changing things that will actually make a difference.

Tern and xRush101 like this.
  7. Horse_That_Goes_Ni

Horse_That_Goes_Ni Your favorite Persian Staff Alumni Donator

Who are these people? As far as I know, there are no good U.S. Players that do that. But I'm not sure if you are talking about EU people or U.S. People. Or both.

8. rileydabozo

rileydabozo Catapult Fodder

If we get someone like Tobuscus, PewDiePie, or the Yogscast to play this game, I am sure that the sales would skyrocket. Yogscast recently did a deal with Space Engineers where they did several videos on it, and they got a little money from sales of the game. These Youtubers try all sorts of games, I;m sure they'd play KAG.

Jedi13, Pharphis and Malitha like this.
  9. PUNK123

pewdiepie in kag NO

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Pewdiepie giving the game a million sales is bad?? Who cares, so long as people buy and play it.

Malitha likes this.
  11. ieatpieandlikepie

But what if the oldies start dominating the game..........

12. Would love to see pewdiepie play kag, it would be #1 rage game, I can just imagine him making a nice lil shelter then sangfroid comes along and kegs the crap out of it.not to mention sales would increase in the 100,000's

Dargona1018 likes this.
  13. PUNK123

Yes a video of pewdiepie getting rekt in kag would be 10000/10

14. ieatpieandlikepie

yes pewdiepie get rekt is gud

and the sales

TWO BIRDS ONE STONE

15. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

My biggest desire would be seeing every single person on the map calling him a faggot at the same time XD

Pharphis and Dargona1018 like this.
  16. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Jokes aside, pewds isn't that bad. He donates a lot of money to charity, and his biggest cause is helping poor people in other countries get fresh drinking water so they don't die by the thousands yearly. It would be a giant leap if people in Africa had 50% the health levels we do. Maybe his videos are extremely obnoxious, but he's a good guy who is hard to hate except for his annoying online personality.

Also, he's fairly humble, compared to other big youtubers like Tobuscus.

Malitha likes this.
  17. PUNK123

ive honestly nvr bothered seeing any of his videos and i wont unless he uploads a kag one

18. Malitha

Malitha Shipwright
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Welll, Anyone knows of an efficient method of getting his attention? Maybe @Geti should do this -- since he's the creator of the game and I think he'd have much more influence over pewds than the rest of us.

19. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Geti pays pewds few hundred dollars to make a kag vid and he'd have a ton of profit.

20. xRush101

xRush101 Shipwright
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Honestly I think this would be the worst thing to do right now. As shown from the steam charts, we haven't been able to keep very many players that buy the game. The audience re-attention for KAG is very low. Sure a popular youtuber making a video of KAG is going to bring IN lots of players but that doesn't mean a lot of them will actually STAY. You must fix and unclog a toilet before you can shit in it again.

Allow me to explain:

First thing is first. First we have to create, develop, or do something that will build our audience re-attention. Sure Tobuscus could do a video on KAG bringing in thousands of players but if only 5-10% of the players stay, would it really be worth it? We first need to do something that will keep the incoming newbies so instead of 5-10% of players staying, we have 40-60% of those players staying.

Everyone is talking about how all we need is a popular YouTuber to make some videos of KAG but there is one major problem that everyone seems to be overlooking. YouTubers are humans too and as shown by the steam charts, most humans buying the game aren't staying for more than a couple weeks so what's to say a popular YouTuber is going to play the game, love it instantly and keep making videos? What would most likely happen is that YouTuber will play KAG for a couple weeks, get bored of it and quit like 75% of newbies have done so far. If we really want to push this game forward we need to provide options engaging the community. We have to fix the toilet before we can send more shit (more players) down the pipes. Otherwise if we leaved the toilet broken, it'll just overflow and we'll have a bunch of shit leave the toilet (Players leaving the game) spilling all over the floor and I can guarantee nobody wants that. We must fix the player retention problem before we try and further advertise the game. Whether this be a more intuitive tutorial section, or map editor, I don't know. Every new player that quits is one lost opportunity to spread the game. It would really suck if 10 thousand new players came about and only 1 thousand of them stayed. That's 9 thousand people who could have advertised the game through word of mouth. I know that if we're able to get a popular YouTuber to continuously make videos of KAG, that means more exposure to KAG which in return means more players. If we have more people playing KAG, that means more development for KAG. To do this though, we must fix and find a solution to solve the player retention problem. The brutally honest truth is that if we continue to see a decline in players, there will come a day when the Devs decide to stop developing for the game because it's not worth the time to work on something that doesn't any sort of return.

The Developers for King Arthur's Gold have already passed one out of two major thresholds that many other game developers have not. The first one is making a wonderful game. KAG is an amazing game that definitely has the potential to become extremely popular. Unfortunately, we have not passed threshold #2 which is acquiring and retaining a fan base. Right now we're still on the ground trying to jump up and fly. The thing holding us back is gravity (analogy for player retention). The moment we learn how to take of and fly is the moment I believe we'll see a major increase in players as well as sales. From there we can sour and we can increase our momentum taking us higher and higher (larger game updates, official tournaments, official clan sections, etc...). Once we pass this second threshold I truly do believe KAG will become extremely popular. How we do this is completely up to the Devs but hopefully they're watching this thread, reading replies, and formulating ideas.

I think it would be really nice and I believe pretty much everyone here would agree with me if we halted certain game updates for a some period of time and only focused on updates that would increase KAG's player retention.

Edit: Formatting and structure.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    J-man2003, Tern, Beef and 1 other person like this.