1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Player Retention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tern, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

those people also didn't want to adapt to the changing pace of beta, so it's more or less their full decision to leave if they didn't want to give it a few chances.

Gurin likes this.
  2. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

As someone who has continuously given the new builds a ton of chances and a longtime fan, I can assure you the game itself is much worse off than it was two builds ago, minus the bugfixes, which even then some amounted to heavy nerfs that just hurt gameplay more.

Some of these people gave the new builds the same amount of chances I have, and they found the game very lacking.

Fuzzle likes this.
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We contacted over 200 youtubers of various sizes at steam launch time, and followed up with those interested afterwards. I feel like the amount of thought we've put into this might be more than you think.

@Klok you've made it abundantly clear that you're unhappy with the current state of the game. Posting in every thread about it isn't much of a contribution.

TheDirtySwine, Noburu and Klokinator like this.
  4. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

The empty servers from pre steam beta are coming.....

5. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

it actually did work because you guys are planning on nerfing spikes

Klokinator likes this.
  6. ieatpieandlikepie

ieatpieandlikepie Drill Rusher

Just stop arguing and just go with the flow guys....

7. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Didn't realize that you had contacted that much, so I apologize for that, but at the same time, I coulda assumed any number due to lack of anything signifying a decent amount of people contacted.

8. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

where does it say this :<

9. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Newest post in the news section.

And thank god, too.

10. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

thousand fanboys/girls would surround pewdiepie like a human shield..
    As a little reminder, there already was a famous youtuber who played KAG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTI2kec60d4

KAG lacks the long-time motivation because everytime you play a match; Every fort you produce out of thin air, every construction you destroy and all the lotion of enemie blood you clothe yourself in; is condemned to be forgotten. No story, no unlockable content, creativity, highscores/rankings, nothing to achieve except the goals you set yourself.
    I suspect steam achievements are going to change that, too late.

Stop changing fundamental things, keep on, the king is dead, long live KAG2.

kittycity and TeQaS like this.
  11. TeQaS

TeQaS Haxor

He play a alpha kag

Dargona1018 likes this.
  12. Horse_That_Goes_Ni

Horse_That_Goes_Ni Your favorite Persian Staff Alumni Donator

Before I start off my statement: No, I'm not a 15 year old girl on her period, I just wanna get some stuff out there.

I remember when long matches were actually fun to stick around and try to win, now its just kind of annoying. Also, there used to be 200 to 250 players when I first got into the game. I really got into kag around the beginning of march. Here we are, six months later and I barely see over 80 players. I know this post seems useless, but I was a really big fan of this game, over 1000 hours altogether. I feel like this game had a touch to it that was marvelous, but I don't get that same fun out of it that I used to. Sorry to sound like some 15 year old girl on her period, but I'm sure some of you guys can relate to this.

Although, whatever you guys think of doing to keep it alive, I'm all in.:heart:

Klokinator and Dargona1018 like this.
  13. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

@Leo in aus there are not enough servers, everyone plays on the CTF here in aus and there is only one server with 20 slots.

14. Kabouter123

Kabouter123 Catapult Fodder
    1. Ancient Gear - [AG#]

Haha you're pure evil. I like it. We are borg - Assimilate

15. Hal

Hal Shopkeep Stealer

I think it just boils down to the game ultimately not having much to do and lacking in any persistence. It's a fun game but gets old quickly.

Fuzzle likes this.
  16. i started playing it 3 years ago and still do

J-man2003, Tern, Klokinator and 5 others like this.
  17. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

It is all personal preference.

As norill above said, some has been playing for years, and most people that are at least decent have about 300+ hours. I mean, hell, makmoud has 1000+ hours in the Steam Version, and I think starselect has something around there also. I am at 443 hours, and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  18. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Dargona1018 and norill like this.
  19. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

In classic I used to be able to pull this off

But in Kag Beta it feels like a luck-based hack 'n slash against other people with no strategy involved.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  20. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Look back at what retained players for months/years in KAG Alpha (despite the type of game it is, usually has poor retention), learn from said things and start to add them back.

I'd take a close look especially at the things that were removed and had very large negative responses from the community (almost any patch that was 20+ pages), look to trying to bring back the things removed or remove the things added, at least take those things back to the drawing board.

Personally I hate the feel of Beta, it sacrified a lot of the heart of what made classic actually fun simply to have some things Beta would have needed otherwise done easier, like the physics engine. I know some things they wanted/needed to move forward weren't possible on the old engine, but straight dropping a lot of the old method honestly lost a lot of things that added a lot of interplay into KAG, it's the difference between having little niches/tricks in the gameplay, like notch jumping and what it meant for timing, especially things like jumpingoff notches down on people, and countering it, adding these things outside of normal physics added a lot of play/counterplay that was downright fun, I also found bomb jumping a lot more fun in the original, even testing the first beta versions it just never felt as good. Maybe it does now but I doubt anything changed very recently.