1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dead game is dead...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Reasons this game is dead:

1. Complete and utter lack of publicity. No one I know knows this game exists, and I am friends with a lot of gamers up on the indie scene. This game needs better publicity.

2. Autistic idiots who ruin the game for everyone else. Builders who stay at the base all game building precisely layed out and utterly pointless boxes of doors and stone that will only come into play if the game is over. Builders who don't move up and build forward walls etc. Games that last for an hour+ because the builders just tunnel up in the base and fuck around.

3. Still obnoxious glitches like glitching through doors.

4. Asshole admins who are Fedora wearing power mongers who make mistakes and ban people.

5. Lack of grief protection from your teams builders and teammates who decide the game is over so they keg the flag and call it a game.

6. Achievements would help this new generation of obnoxious gamers as well.

7. Lack of team HUD information. Game needs some sort of customizable team information HUD ie. a list of buildings your team has built on the side so builders know when something needs to be built or has been destroyed. Maybe automated warnings or visible layout of team information ie. how many archers/builders/knights without having to hit TAB and look at that shitty list. Just have an easily customizable HUD where you want it that shows the number of each class on the side so people know.

8. No voice communication. No reason this shouldn't be implemented by now.

9. Complete and utter lack of publicity.

Noburu, Brandon816 and Beef like this.
  2. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Peak average number of players / (Average decrease in average players per month / Number of hours in a day) = Estimated number of days before playerbase reaches 0 at the current rate of decrease

Edit: For further clarification, the part in parenthesis gives the average number of players lost per day, so you're dividing the peak average number of players by the average number of players lost per day

3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

4. Some admins are bad, avoid those servers, or give some names if it's an official admin.
    8. Judging by the way some people type, I (and I'm probably not alone when I say this) really don't want to hear the way people shout into their mic. Implementing a system similar to the shortcuts that were in classic would be much better.
    1/9. Yes

Noburu likes this.
  4. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Avoiding servers is fine, but it's going to cut down on the community.
    Just ad an easy mute button to voice chat by each player name. Simple.

Blue_Tiger and Arcrave like this.
  5. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

technically there is, if u count custom heads and the male and female versions

6. Ah, but you're plotting a trendline, which gets more inaccurate the longer you extend the trend for. Plus, players joining / leaving is not purely mathematical, there are more factors involved. It kinda reminds me of that XKCD comic where "I had 0 wives yesterday, now I have 1 wife today. According to this trendline by the end of the month I'll have 30+ wives."

7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

There will always be hardcore players playing beta. Always. It's the same as classic having hardcores who can't stop playing it.

8. revsta

revsta Shipwright

how do I even know if I've got classic or beta?

Arcrave likes this.
  9. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You can download classic off the main site for free.

10. Beta (which isn't beta anymore, it's release version) is on Steam, and has kegs and more arcadey movement, among other things.
    Classic is downloadable for free off the KAG2d website, and is buggy but has very tight controls, which people find fun.

11. revsta

revsta Shipwright

well I play with kegs, but not from Steam

Arcrave likes this.
  12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

As an addition to reudh's cricitism of this - your model assumes linear falloff. If you/fuzzle did the same calculation a few weeks after steam release you'd be predicting the game dead in a matter of days.

Re: voice comms - I'm not convinced here. Those who want voice already use mumble/TS/vent, which works fine. I don't see why we should put more strain on servers and clients for voice comms you may not even want, when there are existing, purpose built solutions.

Irunfold, Noburu, makmoud98 and 2 others like this.
  13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Incidentally, correct me if wrong, but doesn't steam itself support voice chat? I could swear it does. At least with people on your friend's list or in a group or someshit.

14. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

I can confirm that.

15. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Eh, not exactly.

Current average amount of players / ( decrease of average players this month / days this month ) >>
    Current average amount of players / average amount of people leaving every day this month
    84.3 / ( 11.8 / 25 ) = 178.60

@Geti, past three months have shown an almost linear decline.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  16. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Well, if you consider the male AND female heads, you get nearly 200.

17. makmoud98

Its definitely not linear. Plus, this is assuming there are no steam sales in 178 days. On top of all that, I don't think statistics can determine when a game will "die". There will always be a handful of people (if not more) that will always love the game. We call them die-hards, such as someone like myself!
    #KAGNEVERDIES

Blue_Tiger and Anonymuse like this.
  18. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

you sound like someone from classic i wouldnt be surprised if in 4 to 5 years someone tell you to "let it die" and move on like they did to classic players and people in soldat(not devs mainly inconsiderate players)

19. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

@makmoud98, not like Steam sales would make any difference.

20. makmoud98

Even so, you can't use statistics as a way to predict when a game will die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.