1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

How do I install or create client-side mods?

Discussion in 'Modding Help' started by Blue_Tiger, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Haxor Tester

Now, before you say "nooo, these are illegal!" here is a quote from Geti in a thread I made a while back:

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/are-gameplay-mods-illegal.20557/

Now I have no idea on how to install a mod which allows me to switch between arrows because every time I put stuff into base, it removes them or fucks up the whole game. If I put them in their own 'mods' folder, then they require a solo game or host with the same mod.

If there is no straight-forward method, is there a work-around method? Why is it so difficult? Surely if anyone wants to hack, they can just so really simply - it's not hard to find half-arsed hacks because their implementation will also be half-arsed.

Sorry if I seem a bit frustrated, but I've spent at least 5 hours browsing, questioning and experimenting to find a solution in a field which should be so simple.

2. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

You have to use your "Mods" folder for the modifications. If you want, for instance, to change the arrow behaviour, you should place it there, for hosting or for testing. If you place your custom files on the Base folder, replacing the originals, once you join a server this won't work at all. The only things you can modify and place on your Base folder, without having a conflict with the original files are Sprites and Sounds afaik.

So, if you've made a script that allows you to change between arrows faster or better, you cannot use it on a server, unless you host it, which then will be in your own modded server. Otherwise it would be cheating.

NinjaCell likes this.
  3. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Haxor Tester

So it's not possible to use this mod in a non-modded server at all? What's even the purpose then?

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/make-archer-hotkeys-for-arrow-types.19924/
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 18, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 17, 2014 ---
    So, how do the hackers do it? If I can do a legitimate control-switch in the same way the hackers do illegitimate things, I will be able to do this.

4. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

If it was so easy to figure out then there would be way more hackers.

5. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Haxor Tester

It's really not hard to ban hackers.

6. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

Thats not what I am saying, im saying that if everyone knew how to make client side mods then there would be way more hackers.

7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I know that archer tweak is not so bad, thought it might give you some advantage over the rest of the players. But you can't let ppl play on any server with their own rules. It's like I make a modification of the archer, and it shoots arrows 2x faster, though makes 2x less damage (as I don't want the guys to call me op), and somehow manage to join a vanilla server with it. That would be considered cheating. Even if I manage to play online with a mod I made that makes my knight move slower than the others, that'd still be cheating I think.

If that tweak is good enough, you could post it as a good idea to be added to the vanilla version.

8. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Haxor Tester

For there to be hackers, people would have to want to hack. If you get caught, you get banned. If you don't get caught, you win. But winning isn't fun if it isn't earned so there's no point. The good thing about KAG is that the majority of people playing, although rude, aren't retards.

Geti has said that doing this is completely okay (quote above). He said in a later post, on the same thread, that he knows that the current system is complete shit, but is too lazy to fix it.

And this also disregards a bunch of things I was hoping to mod, such as rearranging the rubbish-tip we call a GUI. Everything is everywhere, tonnes of things block the screen, vote kicks get automatically clicked, etc etc.

Plenty of people want and have begged for this(/these) change(s), and it has not been done. Was hoping to be the guy who fixes a bunch of shit and released it - who knows, maybe they could take it and add it into the game themselves.

9. Waky

Waky Haxor

You haven't even met me have you? JUST BECAUSE I PLAY KAG DOESN'T MEAN I'M NOT A RETARD, BITCH.

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We've always accepted submissions for fixes to the game, provided they are provided free of charge and obligation and it's understood that not every change provided will be implemented (or we'd have modding capable knight-mains sending us archer nerfs all day, haha). Do it and get the community behind you and we'll be accommodating.

We will not be adding anything that requires more keys at this point though. Keep that in mind.

Re: clientside modding in general - it was disabled because there's no way to distinguish between mods altering the shop code and mods altering how a big of the HUD might be rendered. Prototyping that stuff on your own server or just locally works just fine.

Noburu likes this.