1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1085][Gen] Thoughts on spikes stuning the enemy?

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Noodle_, Apr 12, 2014.

1. In the recent update we have saw a new feature of being stunned by spikes.
    Personally, I find it quite irritating playing as an knight as the spikes stun allows an enemy knight to have an massive advantage of killing you while your being stunned over and over again. Also if archers are not experienced enough with the grapple they can potentially die considerably a lot faster now spikes have stuns. I think spikes should be used to soften up the opponent , taking down the odd heart, and not something that stuns you because lets face, it no one likes stuns.

I'm interested in seeing what is everyone's opinion on this new feature?

P.S I apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, I wasn't quite sure looking at the topic stickies.

icemusher and Galabranth like this.
  2. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

I thought spikes that don't one-hit kill or are aided by downwards platforms are too easy to evade and too easy to get out of.

Galabranth likes this.
  3. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Traps exist in order to kill you.
    Defenses exist in order to stop you.
    Noobs exist in order to die on traps like idiots.

People keep forgeting about so basic things.

Starsly, Sir_Walter and Galabranth like this.
  4. So suddenly they make traps what they should be, then you hate on them. :(

They now serve a better purpose than waiting to be blow up by opposing bombs (something we see very often).
    Before, archers easily skim over them with grapple (dealing 0-1 hearts of damage in the process). Now they actually get to stop them.
    Knights can practically walk over them in the previous builds. Now they have to be wary.
    The skill level is now high. Get used to it or die.

tl;dr
    Spikes are cool.

P.S. I like how you voice out your opinions. It makes the other community members engaged. :thumbs_up:

5. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

I personally love it, makes them useful even in combat! Yesterday I had enough framerate during the start of a match to play properly and boy was it fun to use people's spikes against them! >Get close to enemy spikes when a Knight is jumping down for me. >Jump away at the right time for them to get hurt instead.
    So fun!

Another thing is bases just...oddly seemed to be built large and powerful like in the old days, that match, and it made me feel super nostalgic for how the game was when I started playing.

franek123 likes this.
  6. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'm not sure why so many people are opposed to this idea. Personally, the game is a bit more balanced now. Traps do what their name sake was designed for.
    Sure, makes the game a bit harder, a bit challenging. But that's what the game was made for... it's for team work and challenge and creativity.... if you can't take the stunning spikes of builder doom, then leave >:C

I for one accept and welcome out Builder Overlords with open arms... and maybe a few golden Axes, Hammers, and Pickaxes.. :D

Crabmaster likes this.
  7. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Traps are actually effective now, and it's possible to limit vertical movement via wall-spikes.

An entire line of spikes still gets rekt by one or two bombs, so i don't see it being such a huge issue. It just means that builders are somewhat more useful now.

Oh, and blender pits. I love blender pits.

8. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

The Builder Master Race has risen once again. They will erect great structures of protective mastery and deadly traps >:C
    YOU CANT STOP THIS. NOPE. >:C

Other than that. Yea, traps are uber useful now. So useful in fact that finally... there wont be arguments about Bomb Jumps, Knights, Bombs themselves, that annoying Keg bug that the devs cant fix cuz it breaks the game, or that weird lil glitch where you can shield parachute up a wall can now finally be dismissed as useless complaints the steamies and new/oldfags used to complain about on a daily basis...
    With that said...

DONT CHANGE IT DEVS. LET THEM CRY...!!! BASK IN THEIR BLOOD AND TEARS >:C

Oh and on topic. Now knights can't just fall into a trap, and just slash at people from under the trapblocks made by builders. They can die just as intended. :D
    Plus, now knights can't just.. waltz to a teams front door, they can just be stunned before they reach it and obviously die. :D
    All they can do now, is wait for a builder... or just bomb jump over the wall.

9. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Not really, retracting spikes are pretty weak, I find, but I guess either people are too competent, or there just aren't enough people running on spiked walls.

As far as buildings go, they still melt incessantly as before, so I don't really believe building have gotten stronger.

10. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

All their good against are people who wall run/jump... since well... people do that alot. xD

franek123 likes this.
  11. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

spikes used to be fucking useless. By "used to be" I mean after Classic and before this update. It was like "oh, there's a spike here. I'll just walk across it, it's good. Oh, a spike pit. I'll hide in here and then jump out unharmed when an enemy walks by."
    It didn't help that spikes take ages to extend when placed on stone.
    I still loved classic's spikes, though. They were absolute shredders. If you slid down a spiky wall, you gibbed to hell and back.

franek123 likes this.
  12. I'm surprised that you're all supporting this new feature, since I'm the only one who produced the negative comment about how they can be frustrating lol!
    I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment, some of you have some great points, that I myself haven't thought of. It will be something that I will have to get used to, it'll make me a lot more caution on the battlefield for defiant and it will improve my skills as a knight.

However, there has been countless times where builders (being trolls) have placed down spikes on dirt, making both the team and the enemy suffer from the annoyance of it, but even this isn't much of a problem now there is so many servers with active admins!

Thanks again for voicing your opinions and opening my eyes to see the more positive side of this new feature.

franek123 likes this.
  13. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

I agree with most people that the latest build has made the game more balanced overall, but i don't think it has been done in the right way.

As a knight, going in battle now seems to end in you being in some stun-lock or forced to hold your shield up constantly untill a few knights finally manage to stomp-slash you. (arrow slashing gone is probably the biggest reason it feels this way though)

I like the idea behind retractable spikes, but would much prefer them being buffed by decreasing their delay (rather than having them also stun you), might even want to buff the damage to 1.5 heart.

Please, if you are going to have eveything stun you, at least decrease the stun/charge times so that you do not have to hold shield up and back away, each time someone stuns you (messes with your spacing/timing).

14. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

Quite liking the stun spikes myself. Stops people getting too complacent and keeps people on their toes as it were.

Noodle_ likes this.
  15. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

@Arcrave, do you see this? These kindred hearted people don't understand. They simply can't understand the pain!
    We have seen things.
    WE HAVE SEEN... THE SPIKENING!

[​IMG]

:spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::castle:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:

Noburu, 101i, Yagger and 1 other person like this.
  16. Kotobukiya

Kotobukiya Shopkeep Stealer

At least that set up is merely... unkind to the other team. I've seen worse...

:anger:
    :dance:
    :castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes::spikes:
    :dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt: *Right outside our base made by OUR builders ._.*

Jedi13 and Noodle_ like this.
  17. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

its very easy to destroy spikes. them being annoying just mean theyre effective now rather than useless

18. Jedi13

Jedi13 Shipwright

If only we could hide spikes behind trees... that covered by trees...
    its beautiful.

19. Hiya Jedi, just an fyi - necroposting in forums (Posting in a thread that has had no discussion in a long time) is generally frowned upon. In this instance, there hadn't been any posts in six months. (Also, this is specific to build 1085, which is long outdated.)

20. Jedi13

Jedi13 Shipwright

Oops, sorry, I didnt see the dates XD