1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dead game is dead...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

yeah just fucking do it already

2. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

plan of action:
    1) nerf knight
    2) nerf archer
    3) give builder a handheld cannon
    4) remove all explosives, replace with minikegs
    5) replace water bombs with even higher aoe FIRE BOMBS

BAM, release as sequel on steam (for only $10) and never touch the game again

3. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

On a game, you can choose to play for fun and for a competitive aspect. You can even like BOTH. I dont see the problem with King Arthur's Gold. And i should say that in many cases, a competitive scene is useful to keep a game alive. We dont need any sponsor to play nice matches between clans and i havent any problem to join a server just for fun. Its just an opinion and a choice @revsta

About admins, you are putting a lot of people in the same bag. We are often hearing some troubles about this LK server. There are many others US servers if you want a proper admin team.

You are, imo, a bit too pessimist about the current state of the game.

About bugs, well guys, its a small dev team. Soldat has still bugs after 12 years. Some of them are annoying (on kag too),i agree with that.

FuzzyBlueBaron, 101i and Blue_Tiger like this.
  4. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Everyone here is missing the point. They cite games with higher learning curves as though that's supposed to justify this game's high learning curve. They cite Knights being more over powered in early builds as though that's supposed to justify how the game is now.

I personally have no issue with the things I'm discussing. I"m talking about new gamers and other gamers we need to keep this game going. But for some reason everyone wants to ignore these points and not give any reasons on their own why nobody is playing this game.

5. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

You are forgetting one thing too. @revsta

Marketing, adverts. Its not the main strenght of MM i guess (was the same thing with soldat)

6. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Indie games blow up without marketing if they're good. Minecraft wasn't marketed for shit and the site was constantly down, because people were trying to get their hands on the game.

Fuzzle likes this.
  7. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

They only 'blow up' if they're really really good and lucky. KAG has a niche market and was pretty unlucky in getting many people to play.

8. revsta

revsta Shipwright

It doesn't have to BLOW UP to have more than 62 people playing at a time. It doesn't require insane marketing to get a good player base with an indie game.

It's not 'unlucky' at getting people to play. It's unfriendly to new players and is catering a casual style game that would attract younger players to a hardcore/competitive audience.

edit: at the end of the day, if this game was welcoming to new commers and had good word of mouth, it would have more than 60 players on at a time. If bugs would get hotfixed, if the player base wasn't hostile to any changes we would have more players. But the devs don't fix anything, and the player base wants to hide their head in the sand while the game dies.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

dlc in 3 years with skins
    EDIT:
    You forgot that Minecraft was ridiculously publicized on Youtube, without Youtube it wouldn't of been a hit (IMO).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Dargona1018 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  10. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Publicized on YouTube by players of the game. And do you have any idea the scale of what he was selling before it blew the FUCK up?

Either way, 62 players on at a time for this game, while the player base screams there's nothing wrong with it a little marketing can't fix, is absurd.

11. speaking as someone who played minecraft circa the indev/infdev era, i can honestly say that before he got all that marketing, it had barely more players than KAG does currently.

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You're also forgetting that regardless of "62 players on at a time" (see http://grab.by/CdGW for why I'm pessimistic about this) the game has done better than 99% of other indie games in terms of sales. We cracked a million in steam revenue a few weeks ago, and private sales have added a lot of cream on top of that - it's certainly not at minecraft level, but nothing else is either. In our eyes, the game is a screaming success, haha.

We need to work on retention, but in the past year (http://grab.by/CdGY) numbers have stabilised around the current level in between spikes (sales, bundles, pre-steam there was a few big YT features). It bounces up and down a bit, and it certainly looks like at least one region (US?) has dropped off to about the 62-concurrent players mark, but I've more or less stopped listening to the "game is dead" posts, or at least taking them seriously. As I said earlier in the thread, people have been proclaiming it dead for years now. It's still kicking.

We're doing more or less as much marketing as we can at the moment - press and youtubers aren't very interested in "old games". We contact them from time to time (especially when there's a big patch or sale) but the response is lacklustre. Paid ads aren't likely to net a good return (when was the last time you clicked an online ad for a game? we don't want to blow money on TV or print ads) compared with the presence steam has already given the game.

The best thing we can do as devs is keep the game rolling, balanced, and currently the plan is to add the single player stuff skinney has been working on, and probably roll it into some multiplayer content once the kinks are worked out. A lot of it would work well in challenge maps, builder wars, and potentially wave-defense style maps (which could probably be coded up as a simple challenge template). We've also got a few kinks to hammer out in the main modes, and some content to trim back too. I'll have the time for a lot of this over summer, around working on Trench Run. Lucas is interested in working on some KAG things too, and Skinney and Norill are both chugging away on various scripting things. In short... keep developing the game, if not in a full time capacity.

The best thing you can do as a community is being nice to new players, telling/reminding your friends about the game from time to time, getting involved in the competitive scene (Gather, MLK, KWC...) or making videos about the game to share with the internet. Basically either helping build the community, or helping keep people around.

13. revsta

revsta Shipwright

You guys need to address bugs more frequently. And it IS a big issue having 62 people on at a time. Selling a buncha copies doesn't matter if nobody is playing your game. Unless of course all you want to do is cash out and leave the community hanging.

You still can't replace a damaged block with a block of a diff type. The game still crashes when leaving servers. FPS drops in mid maps still happen to people. There's still balance issues. There's still tons of issues, and it appears like you guys don't give a shit. The fact that you're in short developing the game, if not in a full time capacity' when the game is in fucking BETA, after you claim to have a million+ sales, speaks volumes to me. The game is a 'screaming success' and instead of actively going on the boards and listening to people and fixing bugs and trying new patches for balance to see how people react, etc. etc. you're just sort of fucking around doing nothing in particular, saying "we sold a bunch so it's a success and we'll kinda do some more shit occasionally" when the game is technically still in Beta is fucking baffling to me.

Lehmure likes this.
  14. PorkChop808

PorkChop808 Catapult Fodder

I have to say that i really enjoy the game and have fun playing it. That being said there are game breaking bugs that need to be fixed. Mainly the disconnection issues and the game crashes.

The millions of sales doesn't make the game a success. It just means that the concept that you are advertising the game is appeals to people.

I really hope you guy arent going to "part time" with this game....... After making millions of sales and not even finishing the game is just sad. NO ONE WILL BUY ANY OTHER GAME FROM YOU IF YOU MESS THIS UP!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  15. revsta

revsta Shipwright

That's how you judge a game? Whether or not you can find A SERVER to play on? Great criteria there.

16. PorkChop808

I was addressing the fact that the thread is saying the game is Dead.

17. revsta

revsta Shipwright

try being less absolutely literal. 62 people online at a time for a game is 'dead.' Jesus Christ.

18. PorkChop808

I see more than that online at 1 am.

If you are so against the game why are you on the forums??

Dargona1018 likes this.
  19. revsta

revsta Shipwright

How would you construe me being against the game? I have been discussing how to try and make this game work plenty on the forums. I like this game a lot and would like to see it doing better, which is why I make suggestions and try to keep conversations going about how to make the game better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.