1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Single Player Mechanism Preview, Build Server News

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Nov 14, 2014.

1. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

What would be the blast resistance for them?

2. Looks like builder is my new main

3. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

They should be extremely fragile (3-4 hits) or a 2 walls of zig-zag bolters and the enemy team is dead

4. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Congratulations Skinny ::):
    You have made a lot of content and you deserve this!

On the fact of the mechanics stuff it would be nice to have stuff with ropes and crap that was teased during beta. You could make cool draw bridges and what not. Also I would be cool to see auto tree cutters. I think team pressure plates(only you or the enemy can activate it). Pistons would could be used to make some cool traps. Make sure that all of this new stuff won't clutter the build menu.

I would love to see this in the game!

Side question here are you guys going to need testers and will you be recruiting?

5. jimmyzoudcba

The Legend Of 2D Minecraft

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: concerns for them in multiplayer - this is exactly why we aren't planning on dropping this into CTF/TTH any time soon! Any kinks will need to be worked out through single-player, sandbox, TDM and perhaps builder-wars inclusion before we bring them anywhere near the main MP modes!

Re: ammo for the arrow blocks - yup, definitely agree there, haha. Should probably be capped at some level that makes maintaining a wall of them into a big job and spamming hard to do (30 so it's one stack is probably sensible, could be 15 though so you don't have to cart around heaps of stacks to refill your walls...).

Re: numbers - at the moment, they're just numbers to limit the recursion; I don't know if skinney has decided on repeaters or what. I honestly haven't played much with minecraft's mechanism systems but I don't think we'll be taking too much inspiration from there, though there are sprites somewhere for piston/pushing blocks they probably wouldn't function on tiles, and be more used for automating object movement (think keg dispenser/cannon). There are an exciting number of possibilities that come out of this though, which is why the builder-wars mode might be fun in its own right, and not need military units complicating things.

Re: ropes etc - this currently isn't planned. The reason ropes weren't included is they were laggy, fiddly and had surprisingly few real uses once the movement was made fluid, they only made sense for platforms and the like when you could jump 2 tiles and walked slowly, haha.

7. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I like the ropes idea. An easier way for a rushing builder to make a ladder up a wall. OR ziplines :D

8. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

Throwable rope! Would function like a laddar but be more fragile and way more expensive! (Kind of like the rope in terraria)

9. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

,but you could you a pendulum of doom! Just imagine it. A poor unsuspecting knights walks in a poorly lit room. He steps on a pressure pad and then he hears a 'click'. A over sized spike swings down impaling him in to the wall while you run out spamming 7 and 8 78787878

Well I hope this stuff works out and we get a little taste in a couple of weeks.

10. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

@Geti you had ropes coded? How did they work? Grapple hook style?

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Fernegulus badly. There's a video on the youtube channel that MM posted ages back. They weren't very good.

@amgtree: i feel like this is the dream but there would be 100x more episodes where it didn't work, you didn't run out 252525 and they got your flag and the team cursed shitty minecrafter builder wasting time and resources :)

amgtree and Fernegulus like this.
  12. Alaiscool

Alaiscool Arsonist

What does the shiny blue thing connected to a lever do in the second gif? It looks so shiny though ::P:

13. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

It looks like a lamp.

14. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

If this ever ends up in some sort of competitive mode, would it be at all possible to make it so only your team can see your wiring? (possibly make wire team colored as well?) I feel like seeing the wire really just ruins the element of surprise of a good trap.

NinjaCell likes this.
  15. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Magnets that have repel/attract modes, change color when mode is changed ? Possible uses in traps to pick up items drop by victims. Could also repel items like lit bombs and arrows etc.

Froghead48 likes this.
  16. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

If they repelled dinghies we could coat the map and have anti-grav boats.

Froghead48, Dargona1018 and DatNobby like this.
  17. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Ah I found the rope vid.
    Yeah, not particularly amusing... A good rope script would be handy though, maybe I or anyone should think of that...

18. jimmyzoudcba

That's the wires
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 17, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 17, 2014 ---
    Then Hide it in a structure/underground or else it would be way too steathy and emeny builders can do nothing about wires

Fernegulus likes this.
  19. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

That might be the best thing about it - Builders will need to think about hiding it well.

20. Alaiscool

Alaiscool Arsonist

I meant the thing on the right of the wires, the blue light in a small stone box.