1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] How to be effective as an archer?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by Energetik, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Energetik

Energetik Shipwright

Every time as I play as an archer I don't have much trouble blasting enemies that appear maybe halfway across my screen. Though the problem I am having is full screen to full map shots, sometimes I get nailed twice with perfect accuracy across map with arrows from the same player and to me seems like almost a stunning feat. Is there tips and tricks that I do not know about? Or do I just happen to be standing in the wrong place, at the wrong time?

2. Thiel

Thiel KAG Guard Tester

Wrong place, wrong time, and the other player is most likely more experienced in playing as archer then you are.

My tip for that situation is to, before jumping into the open, check if there are any archers already looking your direction.
    • If they are not, just proceed climbing up and start shooting away.
    If they are, wait for the archer to release a shot, see where that shot goes.
    • If it doesnt go anywhere near the place you were heading to, he's probably focusing on something else.
    • If the arrow was a clear attempt to hit you, you can either move to a different spot, or wait for him to shoot again, then pop out, attempt a shot, and take cover again.
    EDIT: I misinterpretated your post somehow. To answer your actual question: yes. If someone shoots you from a position where you can't even see him, when fully zoomed out, it was most likely a lucky shot.

Valkyrie likes this.
  3. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Needs to be in class discussion forum.

4. Energetik

Energetik Shipwright

Thiel, both answers you gave me were very helpful and I thank you for your time in answering them for me. As for Neat, I am very sorry to of posted this in the wrong section, I felt as it was a question regarding basics principles of the game more then the actual class that it would go in General. I do apologize.

5. Neat

It's alright, understandable with that logic. Though i'd more consider it to do with classes because it refers specifically to the archer, which has its own subforum.

6. Energetik

Energetik Shipwright

Understandable and agreed with, by all means if there is someone who can switch this into another section, please do so.

7. synthesispandabot

synthesispandabot Bison Rider

Ask a builder to build you a construction which consists with a 1x2 door to your shooting path, make sure you have a straight forward shooting range.Wait for the enemies, then angle your shot with the distance, wait till they reveal themselves, pace to the door when your bow is ready, FIRE then quickly run back into the castle.

This tactic helped me in the last battle I had, and we won by defending. (note that defending is the key to this class.)

PS. Getting a knight to protect you with a shield is worth doing so.

8. Thiel

Thiel KAG Guard Tester

I agree with all you said but that, I think Archers do well defending, but that's defnitly not their "key" purpose. Archers are great at offensive gameplay aswell, especially since, when attacking, you will be dealing with alot of archers that are in spots where the knight can't reach them. The only one who can take them down at that point are other archers. (I often see teams lose because they rush the enemy base with 10 knights, all end up hitting a high vertical wall, and 10 archers shooting down on them. So yea, archers are defnitly efficient at defending, but that's not their "key". Unless that "key" can unlock doors both offense and defense. (too symbolic?)

EDIT: Shad, can you move this topic to class-discussion pretty please?:D

9. synthesispandabot

synthesispandabot Bison Rider

I agree.

10. Nixito

Nixito KAG Guard Tester

If you're shooting off the screen, try keeping an eye on your coins. If you get +5 coins, you are hitting someone. If you are getting +15, you are either hitting a catapault or 3 someones. Either way, you're probably aiming at a good spot, and should keep aiming for that spot. :D

Valkyrie, Noburu and Kagesha like this.
  11. Neat

Moved this to class discussion so this forum can get more love :)

Wyeth likes this.
  12. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

if you watch enemy archers shoot for a while, you can estimate where the shots come from. If you have a good sense of how arrows fly in this game, you should be able to hit offscreen enemy archers after missing several times and changing your aim angle constantly. Yeah, look for the coin counter to go +5 or +15, it's a nice indicator

13. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

How has this never occurred to me? Actually, why don't archers get a fun sound when they make a hit? If it's possible to tell anyway, why not just embrace it?

14. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

The new archer is all about quantity over quality. You can fire really fast, but your arrows travel slowly. Don't bother aiming, focus on mindlessly firing as many arrows as you can.

Noburu likes this.
  15. Nixito

Nixito KAG Guard Tester

I'm gonna say that this is a bit of an overstatement. :D While I do agree that there are many opportunities to just dump arrows on your opponents, I wouldn't say that it's the only way to do it. Of course I'm one of those weird archers who likes to hang out down low with the knights, a strategy which gravity typically doesn't favor.

16. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Yeah, a careful balance works well for me.

17. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

1. Go builder and start mining to gather coins if you are short on cash.
    2. Once you have enough coins (around 70) change back into archer and spend them all on arrows.
    3. Spam arrows behind decent cover. (aiming is not important, just make sure each shot is a fully charged one)
    4. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

18. Labla

Labla Shopkeep Stealer

I don't agree with random spam shooting. Knights should be the last target for archer. I find myself shooting most of the time with boost long range, I choose targets in this order:
    - archers
    - catapult (if you're in safe spot and enemy archers can't reach you, go for it in first place)
    - builders
    - knights

Still arrow spamming can be useful even if you're not targeting any enemy - constantly shooting into the doors can be little intimidating for enemies occupying tower. Another good spot is the top of the tower - sometimes you will hit enemy knights in midair (they like jumping).

Nixito and Thiel like this.
  19. Nixito

Nixito KAG Guard Tester

I frequently prioritize catapults over other archers. I know it's not always the best strategy but at 15 gold a hit, it's just too tempting. :D

20. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

I often target the catapult if it's in a position to do serious damage. I usually decide based on the situation.