1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Longer water bomb stun

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Rainbows, Dec 14, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

How far are you from the guy you just hit with a water bomb? First there is the distance to stop it stunning you two. Then there is the shitty physics to consider where stuff either goes olympic javelin thrower or it plops at your feet. Finally there is the massive knock back. Be prepared to run a marathon to reach them.
    Best case scenario there is time to run up and jab them. Usually there is enough time to run up to them and get jabbed in the face or if they are an archer or builder they will do some soap hitbox shenanigans and run off. Sometimes kag just goes fuck you and they get stunned for half a second.

Solution: make the stun on waterbombs longer so they aren't so useless.
    Water arrows are just beyond saving

2. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Is the stun time for water arrows and water bombs the same? I feel like water bombs need to have a delay after hitting the ground maybe one second( instead of insta breaking), before they get buffed anymore.

3. zampanothechimera

zampanothechimera Shopkeep Stealer

its long enough people spam them its annoying

J-man2003 and kodysch like this.
  4. GhostAnimals

GhostAnimals Catapult Fodder

I agree with the delay before a water bomb explosion. I like the idea of being able to try to get out of the way of that mess. I tend to get destroyed when I'm hit with a water bomb, though, so I can't say I've personally seen your problem, Rainbows.

5. jarrydthysse

jarrydthysse Bison Rider
    1. Trueblue [TB]

Longer stun = More water bomb spam = more funny deaths ...

Make the stuns longer !

6. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Or...

Make the stun shorter and after the stun your moving speed is reduced for a little time.

SirDangalang likes this.
  7. startselect3

startselect3 Arsonist

the game isnt really all about funny deaths... its more like about skills and having fun without getting killed the cheapest way possible, sangfroid worked hard to achieve his skill level, if people just started spamming water bombs all of his dedication and hard work would go all to waste.
    that is actually a good idea, it makes sense as well, because when your clothes are soaking wet its harder to move because of the water in your shirt and pants, im sure if your heavy armor gets soaking wet it would make you a lot slower

8. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

In a game where you can slash at another knight that's mid-charge, do no damage at all because of a lag spike (and KAGs poor lag compensation), and then get insta-murdered by a double slash, or maybe in a game where you're pretty much gonna die as an archer if someone lights a bomb, I doubt it's more about skill. No disrespect to sangfroid, but the hardest part of learning vanilla KAG combat is getting used to the lag compensation.

Now that I have that out of my system...

I've been suggesting unbreakable water bombs since water bombs were released, because their ability to instantly stun someone with no warning is what makes them annoying. I would gladly nerf them in that respect for an increase in stun time. While that might mean a death sentence to whoever gets stunned, water bombs would at least be counterable.

Dargona1018, kodysch, zerd and 2 others like this.
  9. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

But not water arrows! 25252525

10. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

haha good one
    @op
    Well water bombs are mostly useless because most of the time you get stunned together with the enemy...

11. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Water bombs are efficient in, for example, stunning using the sheild, quick retreat, waterbomb, doubleslash.
    Water arrows are efficient in supporting knights, but as they don't give money, they're underused (I guess).

SirDangalang likes this.
  12. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Using water arrows properly requires a supporting knight (unless you are pro and stomp and kill every single of them). That's why water arrows are not used very often in public games where it can be hard to co-operate. However in clan wars water arrows are VERY good and sometimes a couple of water arrows can decide who wins!

SirDangalang and kodysch like this.
  13. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

yesterday there was a match where in the initial rush everyone got slaughtered because nearly the entire enemy team had gone archer and took turns volleying arrows and water arrows. After initial rush there wasn't any coordination like that for the rest of the match tho

14. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

Water bombs would be so much better if they didn't explode on impact.... there's no way to prevent getting hit by it unless they miss or by the grace of god you actually manage to catch one, but you would have to be expecting it and also have to compensate for lag as well... as of right now if we made the stun even longer water ammo would be the most overpowered thing in the game for sure without a doubt. I wish water bombs worked just like regular bombs so they would actually require skill to use instead of just throwing it at someone :>:(:. In my opinion making water bombs run on a timer and not explode on impact would make the game much better overall and improve the experience overall. as for water arrows it safe to say they should stay explode on impact but i also feel they should cost more to use and maybe even net a 5 coin per hit bonus, as of right now you dont get anything for using water arrows. You really have to look at what would happen if something like water ammo was buffed to the point of giving it more stun time, the game would break and people would only be archer or use water bombs.

15. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Water weapons aren't supposed to give you free hits, they're supposed to give your team easy kills, or in some cases allow you to escape as an archer. They do that quite well as is.

Also water bombs give you free hits anyway if you charge your sword while throwing the bomb. That's why they're more expensive.

I disagree. If water bombs were just like stunning versions of normal bombs, why would anyone buy them? Normal bombs are almost as disruptive, and half as cheap. I don't even think water bombs are that much of a problem.

...also you wouldn't be able to hit kegs with them

I think water arrows are a lot worse. They're insanely cheap, a lot faster, and a lot safer to use compared to water bombs.
    I kind of agree with you there but if water arrows gave reward for hitting (they're pretty easy to hit) then you'd just have even more water arrows. Using water arrows should be a money loss for archers.

SirDangalang, swagbot and Verzuvius like this.
  16. zampanothechimera

zampanothechimera Shopkeep Stealer

5 of archers could take out a whole team of knights just with spamming water bombs right?
    it is kind of ok but yes they are pretty ineffective but if the price was raised they couldn't be spammed (as much) then it would be in a better direction.
    and yes but it would basically be the same thing as a regular bomb if you just held it to the timer was almost out but would risk stunning yourself because if you spam them you have just enough time to close in and get the kill.

17. swagbot

swagbot Shopkeep Stealer

I admit, the water bomb was tricky to get the hang of at first; you have to learn what situations to use them in and the nuances of it (the distance of the throw depends on the orientation of your mouse. You're literally pointing where you want your bomb to go and spacebar throwing [I recommend holding/tapping up to jump in the direction you're throwing for added momentum; the distance you can throw it depends on your velocity/momentum as well as the mouse orientation). The target of the bomb will sometimes fly away from you depending on how fast you're throwing the bomb, how fast the target is moving, and if you're throwing the bomb with their momentum or against it. With practice, you'll find that water bombs are ideal for indoor battles/stunning the enemy when they're against a wall to break their potential stun-launch. But the stun time should NOT be longer. If you stun the enemy correctly, you'll give yourself just enough time to double slash them. You want it to potentially be a struggle for the kill, not a sure kill- the item needs to be more forgiving to the enemy than that. Not to mention water arrows and water bombs should be identical; if you increase the stun time on a water arrow, you'll make it exponentially easier for archer to stun a knight and stomp them to death. You're effectively lowering the skill ceiling by doing that.

I like that there's no timer on the water bomb. I think the water bomb having a surprise element (being able to pull it out and immediately throw it with instant results. A timer would make it far too predictable) gives it just enough of an edge to be useful in situations that the timer would otherwise render moot.

I will say that, like all items, you can use the water bomb like a d*ck, or you can use it appropriately. Like stunning an evasive archer, or stunning an enemy on high ground so you have time to scale the high ground to level the playing field. Or, better yet, stunning a knight that's cooking a bomb. Can you say "self rekt"? The water bomb has some great applications, you just have to understand what they are :oops:

^I didn't even touch on the fact that water bombs are meant to be more of a support weapon. One that you use to get your team kills, not yourself, as Potatobird said.

The utilitarian solution: have the option to buy water bombs with timers or without timers. I think the shop menu could stand to be a little bigger

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Apronymous likes this.
Mods: Rainbows