1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Read this first! "I wish I got that on video" - Basic Recording Tutorial

Discussion in 'KAG Media' started by Potatobird, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Are you the kind of player who's always making crazy plays? Do you wish you had a folder full of awesome video clips of you being a badass? Or maybe you want to be a youtube superstar with millions, no, billions of subscribers all watching your kag shenanigans?

No? Well you can still catch a funny moment or two sometime like me.

I usually play KAG with something called "Replay Buffer", which, when turned on, records you playing without actually saving any video files. Unless something cool happens, and you press the replay hotkey, in which case it saves the last minute or so of recording.

All you need is this handy dandy Open Broadcaster Software and some free RAM. This may require a decent computer.

Once you've installed that, you have to tinker with the settings a bit before you can go use it. This looks like a lot of text but it's really not that hard. Click the orange links if you need help finding something.

Instructions:
    • First, launch the program and go into the settings. Going through all the tabs on the left, here's what to change:
      • General - Nothing really to do here, unless you want to change the language or create several setting "profiles" (I have one for low quality and one for higher quality)
      • Encoding - You'll want to change the max bitrate depending on how much memory you have available. 5,000 is ok quality. 10,000 is just fine. Anything over 20,000 is pretty good quality. The higher this is, the more memory it will take to record.
      • Broadcast Settings - First, you need to change the Mode to "File Output Only". Once you do that, you can change the Replay Buffer Length. That's how many seconds into the past it will save when you press the button, and the longer it is, the more memory you need. You can also choose where and how the replays will be saved. (Click for more help). This is also where it will tell you just how much memory you'll need.
      • Video - All you really need to do here is to pick your video card, resolution, and FPS. Higher FPS takes more memory, start with 30 and adjust.
      • Audio - You probably don't need to change anything here, unless you want to disable / enable your mic.
      • Hotkeys - You need a button to press when something cool happens, so pick a hotkey for "Save Replay Buffer". If you want you can also set hotkeys for starting / stopping the replay buffer, and for recording, but you can do all that manually as well.
      • You can probably ignore the other settings, but if recording messes up your cpu or something you can try fiddling around in the Advanced tab.
    • Now you have to tell it what games to record. Click OK to get out of the settings, then right click in the "Sources" box, then go to "Add" and click "Game capture" down at the bottom. Then select KAG or whatever other game you want to record from the list (you'll need to have the game running to do this).

...And you're ready! That wasn't so bad, huh? Now, when you're playing KAG and you want to record, either press the "Start Replay Buffer" hotkey, or click the arrow next to "Start recording" and go to "Start replay buffer". Then press your "Save Replay Buffer" hotkey whenever something cool happens, and it will save a little video in that folder ::):

If it's just a short little moment, you can crop the video down to 15 seconds or less using Movie Maker or something and upload it to gfycat. Then you end up with something like this:

(Double click it to resize)
    http://gfycat.com/AngelicWanArizonaalligatorlizard

Happy recording!::P:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Withror, ParaLogia, Vampire and 18 others like this.
  2. GhostAnimals

GhostAnimals Catapult Fodder

I'm terrible at KAG, so my replays would mostly be "Fuck yeah, I actually killed someone!", but this is a pretty solid tutorial. Well done.

3. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Thank you so much! This is really cool, should be stickied.

4. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

That gif at the end was amazing. :B):

Oh ya the tutorial was pretty cool too.

Potatobird likes this.
  5. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

OMFG!!! I have totally missed like 10000 cool things I've done!

OMG!!!

HYPE!!! HYPE!!!!!! HYYYPE!!!!!!!!!

6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That .gif at the end is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of the chaos that goes on 90% of the time in-game. I think I've just found my latest "it's like this" link to show people. ty. <3

Trekobius, kodysch and Potatobird like this.
  7. Potatobird

I needed an excuse to post that somewhere, which is the main reason I wrote this post ::D:

That's kedram and vidar that come in with the flying tackle, that part gets me every time

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  8. hugio88

hugio88 I am the king of KAG! Donator

The GIF that you made, what bitrate was that?

9. Potatobird

I probably recorded that at 15,000 or 20,000

10. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

@Galen can we stiky this thread?

11. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Done.

Pizza and kodysch like this.
  12. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Also: moved to KAG Media section (because vidya tutorial in vidya section makes sense).

Potatobird likes this.
  13. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

If you have a quite recent Nvidia graphic card (Iirc GTX 6xx or 7xx series or higher), you can also use Shadowplay. Since it included desktop recording, you can use it to record KAG. It is quite lightweight (Uses almost 0% CPU and a few GPU usage, and a few RAM) and can record most OpenGL and DirectX games. It outputs mp4 directly (without waiting after the end of the recording) and has a bunch of settings (Framerate, resolution, bitrate)

To install it, just download GeForce experience, once it's installed, you can access Shadowplay pressing the button "Shadowplay" on the topright and you're ready to record!

14. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

Anyway to make OBS not lag my game? When I record with fraps my frames dont drop but with obs it goes down down down down.

15. Potatobird

You can try setting this to something faster, lowering some of the other settings in the main post, or maybe closing as many other programs as you can (but you've probably already tried those last two.) Other than that I don't really know what to say.

your sig still creeps me the fuck out every time I see it

16. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

[​IMG] at least it isnt this intimidating jerk.

Potatobird likes this.
  17. Shen2

Shen2 Drill Rusher

This would've been useful when I was at my prime as king of the water.

18. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

If you're on Windows 10, you can use the built-in Game DVR feature to record something. Pressing Win+G in any application (including KAG) will bring up the game bar. From here you can record, take a screenshot, and various other things. You can even turn on the background recording feature similar to "Replay Buffer" feature Potatobird has talked about. This allows you to save the last hour or so of recording (you can change settings in the Xbox app). Video recorded with the Game DVR won't be compressed, so you'll need to use something like Handbrake to shrink down the video size.

It's a good feature to know about and it runs fairly well even on Atom-based machines. Something to note is that you'll need a fairly new computer as older computer won't support this feature even if you have Windows 10.

19. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

I don't know why but this doesn't work for me >:(

20. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

which part?