1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Various little changes for archers.

Discussion in 'Balance' started by wilpin7, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator
    1. KAG Competitive League

Yes, I know all of the archers ever are going to spam this thread "stfu! Nights are so much moar OP!!!1 gut a lif or gut gud!" and I may or may not be aiming for this specific reaction. Anyways, I still hate archers, and I always have.

To the suggestions.
    1) Grapple Hook : I think that the grapple hook is a little too quick in my opinion, and requires little to no amount of skill, just right click to some far-away place and *BOOM!* there you are. I'd either suggest making them shorter, so that they can't escape knights/other archers as quickly as they do now, and can't access locations that are a mile away. Or make them slower/more difficult to aim by having a curve in their trajectory. E.g: You right click to a dirt block, but grappling hook hits 2-3 blocks below it due to gravity, of course, the change in the grappling hook's trajectory will be quite gradual, you won't need to take physics classes if you want to go 5 blocks from where you are.

2) Movement While Aiming : Archers should be slowed down quite a lot more then they currently are while they are aiming at us poor knights, and I'd even suggest making them immobile while charging a triple shot, you try running while putting three arrows onto your bow ... then shooting from it in an incredibly precise way.

3) Archers should run faster to compensate for all this, knights can easily outrun archers while wearing full armor, nuff said.

2. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

1. No, just no. You knights can easily kill an archer with grapple, expecially if it was shorter. There is a trajectory/

2. No again. They are already slowed. If you want them stopped, why not remove shield gliding.

3. This is finally something good. Faster running for the lighter class.

J-man2003 likes this.
  3. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator

Eh, maybe the "stopping them when they charge triple shot" is a little much, since they're already quite slowed, but I still think the grapple in some way, too often do I see archers accessing areas of the map that no knight/builder could reach without help (especially true in TDM, and especially annoying when all opponents decide to become archers) I didn't expect people to agree with me, cuz I'm an archer-hating fag, but I'd still make them faster.

Also, it's stated quite obviously that you can't just say "no" or "yes" in a suggestion thread, people appreciate it when you tell them why you find their suggestion bad.

4. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Have you played kag lately? An archer's strength is in his evasion and you want to nerf that so it makes it easier for you to kill them. Ask any good knight with a bomb, and they'll tell you archers are balanced, and knights don't need equipment to kill archers, it just helps, consider that you have a shield that makes you invulnerable to arrows in all cases except extremely close combat that the archer has had to charge an arrow for FIVE seconds of reduced speed without grappling. All the changes you suggest will throw off the balance that is currently being established. I'm just tired of people suggesting things without really seeing both sides of the coin.

wilpin7 likes this.
  5. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator

It is true that I haven't played archer in quite a long time due to my terrible aim and because being so used to knights I really couldn't take myself seriously as an archer. Anyhow, any "good knight with a bomb" is not able to hit a decent archer as easily as you make it seem, because archers can just grapple away and ~poof~ no problems. I know it's really unclear/not explained at all in the OP but I'm just asking for grappling to take a little bit more skills, I'd add in more changes that benefit archers later if I feel the need to, but right now they're basically ants grappling around knights and trying to deal damage as said knights mindlessly slashes at every available tree. I'd actually love seeing archers get a fair way to penetrate the knight's shield.

Also, shield gliding was better in classic, now it's actually quite silly, but I wouldn't want it removed because no shield gliding = no bomb jumps = no mobility for the poor knights.

P.S : I suggested the speed of archers to be slightly increased, how does that "throw off the balance that is currently being established"?

6. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

I am too tired to argue about this piece of shit.

HELL NO, STAP BITHIN' AROUND, PLEASE

7. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Archers are meant to be mobile. Knights are heavily, CQC troops when archers are the "scouts".

Grappling is harder than you think,it not just, slick here and poof teleported.

8. ^
    I think everything is perfectly fine as it is with the archer class. I'm a knight as well here so don't get me wrong but having an archer unable to outrun a knight with those nerfs would be awful.
    Right now it's even because sometimes without a bomb I can catch an archer.
    Though archers can 9/10 times escape me when I don't have a bomb nerfing it any more would make it 0/10

9. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator

Fair enough, guess those changes would result in archers loosing any advantage they previously had, seems like this discussion is over.

Could someone lock this thread? @Galen (sorry, first moderator of this section I thought of/saw was online)

10. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Locked as per request of OP.

Pizza likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.