1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Server Management [Need Input]

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Wolf95, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

I'm designing a Server Panel for my company, and eventually may release a version to the community, but so far this is how the system works:
    There is a Master Server (for web front end and FTP uploads)
    There Are Mid-Point Server if needed (This will act as a gateway if the main server is unable to use PHP-SSH2 the client servers are designed to have minimal overhead)
    The Client Server(s) (Uses BASH programming for relatively everything)

I was wondering several things:
    1) What features would you like to see in this?
    2) How much Ram does each dedicated server use on average, I have been unable to get a accurate result as my testing box has never had a large load on it (I've only gotten a max of 1-2 players)
    3) How important are map backups to you?

So far:
    -Web Interface will based on jQuery
    -Client Scripts: 30% complete (Engine is designed to support >1 Game Server Type, Basic Server Creation is finished, adding configuration file customisation)
    -Web Interface: 0% (Awaiting User Input)

Also:
    I was unable to run any commands as soon as I started the gameserver, I don't know if it's just incompatibility with my testing environment or if it's just that it hasn't been added yet?

Acavado and Noburu like this.
  2. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Interesting.

1)
    - Option to upload maps through the web interface would be a nice convenience
    - Configuration of basic server settings like max players, password, rcon password, allow editor, allow global mods, gold server, server name & description, etc.
    - Change map cycle.
    - Configuration of game modes. Creation, renaming, deletion of game modes would be an essential part of this.
    - Swap between regular and test server.
    - Server restart.
    - Tracking of whatever statistics you can think of.

2) Ram is quite variable and kag has problems with memory leaks. That said, mine is often sitting around 5-10% of memory usage (out of 512mb), but I specifically keep it to less than 16 players.

3) Unimportant. This isn't a game like minecraft, if people want to backup a map in a given state they can save it themselves. The server doesn't need to worry about it.

What do you mean by 'unable to run any commands'? Are you expecting to be able to issue commands from the command line? I don't believe this is possible. Or were you talking about rcon?

Noburu likes this.
  3. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Thank you for the feedback, I'll aim to create some sort of dataleak detection, but that most likely won't be added for a while, for the time being it'll be a simple crash detection system.
    *Yes I was wondering if it would be possible to use commands in the terminal, it would simplify it alot more, now the system must parse the log file and keep tally.
    Another Question: Does the PID file automatically update it'self everytime the server boots?

Current Todo list:
    Overview of Server Network Activity (port-based monitoring)
    Server-based FTP? (Increased RAM, but faster transactions current model is: Master -Tells Remote server to DL file->Remote server sends Wget request with an authtoken, and when done file is removed from temporary cache.
    Game-Mode Changes
    Crash-Detection&Memory Leak Detection
    Node-to-Node Account Transfers
    Remote Software Install (Master will install client if provided SSH info)

Any other suggestions?
    Also is there any Billing Modules you would like this to support? (I use Hostbill, so it will support that for sure)

4. Static

Static Shopkeep Stealer

Sounds promising.

To be able to view chat and chat to players via the web console.!!!!!!

I will have a think of some more.

Noburu likes this.
  5. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

View chat is possible, however I will need to make a custom addon for chatting to them, also
    does the PID file automatically update every launch?

6. Static

Static Shopkeep Stealer

WhAt you mean by " does the PID file automatically update every launch?"

7. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

in the KAG directory ./Logs/pid.txt
    Is it updated as in like Does it match the running Process ID after every launch?

8. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I believe so, yes.

9. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Awesome, that makes it alot easier for looking after process/terminating idle accounts.

10. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Basic Server Connections are done, being that the initial version won't look too pretty, and it'll most likely set the design path, what color scheme do you think I should go with?

11. Static

Static Shopkeep Stealer

Basic colours from the main kag2d site maybe.

12. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

Cover all bases, and have at least two basic themes: light on dark & dark on light

Noburu likes this.
  13. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

Aside from all the obvious things that Shadlington have written about I would like to see:
    • Chat and ability to chat with members
    • Playerlist and their scores/class
    • + Right click on name in playerlist -> kick/ban
    • Minimap with player dots.

Noburu likes this.
  14. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

This is doable, however I'm not quite sure how to get actual server interaction because they currently don't allow console input, however the Playerlist is doable (without kick/ban)
    The themes I pretty much just have the header and CSS files that you are able to modify, (sorry no hot-swap themes atm, maybe a later date) KAG Module is written, however now I need to work on the Multi-Server Support.

trelawney likes this.
  15. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Just for clarification purposes... Can more than one KAG server run on 1 IP? I just read some configuration files and I'm really wondering if this will work.. Can Anybody give me an example of 2 configuration files that will work with each other while listening on the same IP, just different ports?

16. ilaks

ilaks Bison Rider Donator

I really doubt it. I don't think KAG is in this stage yet to pull this things off.

17. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yes both of my servers run off the same IP, different ports. They run on linux though. I have heard you can only run one at a time on windows.

18. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Noburu, would you mind sharing your configuration files with me? A PM/Post would be good.

19. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

http://pastebin.com/pcRWZeEp
    http://pastebin.com/PbCcXKV7

The only real difference aside from player count and server name are the lines global sv_port and global cl_joinaddress. And then the only difference is the change in port.

FWIW I couldnt get my second server to work at first this morning. It showed up as shutdown in hostedgamerservers webpanel but not in linux itself. trelawney had to tell me how to ssh in and kill it manually. It worked fine after that.

20. Wolf95

Wolf95 Shopkeep Stealer

Alright, I was thinking about code re-usability (and support for games other than KAG) and I was thinking, would you guys like to see a traditional CP or would a sort of online desktop be better? I'm curious just to see what you guys think