1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Action [!] CTF and Rapid CTF servers

Discussion in 'Server Directory' started by Noburu, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: jackitch
  1. Baron_Norab

Baron_Norab KAG Guard Tester

I tried my hand at a bit of map making for the server, see if you like it or not.

[​IMG]

2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I know that it's a problem overall and not just to the one server, but Action CTF tends to have few people to start and then start up time is simply atrocious, if you can find some way to extend it would be greatly appreciated, 70seconds is not enough time to get up a basic castle with just the workshops, and at least one defensive structure, which I think should be the minimum you need.

The bedrock and fixing the maps does fix the problem to some extent (but I can just get over there and bomb it, and in the case of the one everyone's talking about (honestly not a big fan of the map usually cause it was so easy before, and now it's still so easy but just takes longer to dig dig dig dig through the big fat wall of dirt on their side to their flag.

The lack of building basically means that if you've played the map more than a few times you know what to do, where to put things fast to get a basic structure going that you can easily keep the enemy out of and can at least keep them away for the 15seconds(man I hate how long this is, should be shorter, ACTION![ I've gotten like 25 seconds a few times]) it might take me to spawn, then just keep rushing at their castle until I'm in. Granted this won't work against skilled players, but the low startup time means that I can easily gain a huge advantage over pubs where if they had more time they'd probably stand a chance, or at least delay me the first 5minutes instead of me just rushing to their base and winning. I'm not even that good, so I'd imagine the much better players would find this even more boring, although I don't tend to see many of them on there, it's rare.

3. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Just put it into rotation, we will give it a try!

I want the maps to be over quick and for you to have to think how/what you are going to build fast so you hopefully make good use of your materials, but I definitely see where you are coming from and I will extend the build per player a slight bit more (PS MM GIVE ME STATIC BUILD TIMES NAO!).

FuzzyBlueBaron and trelawney like this.
  4. Baron_Norab

Updated it so the middle won't collapse now and I widened the center by a few blocks.

[​IMG]

Noburu likes this.
  5. Noburu

Uploading now!

6. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

geti's map is a cancer please remove from rotation

screen-11-11-17-19-49-58.png

it is so awful that we successfully voted to skip it twice and each time it was the same map afterwards

7. Baron_Norab

I made another map, this time a bit more underground.

[​IMG]

8. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

just a reminder, with the map changes skybridges and catapults dominate the game more than ever before

[​IMG]

9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Just want to say we need to get rid of the huge bedrock in the center, it's honestly more of a problem than without it, I'd rather see quick cata wins to bad bases than extended matches drawn out because builders keep filing the thing with stone, and you break it and then need to empty it again, it's too easy to completely area deny the whole entire team unless there is a great builder up front, and since they have acces to your area and you not theirs, they can easily set catas, archers overtop with bridges, etc, to win basically easily. Once you have center you just need to keep it (builder's job) making these maps too builder central, connecting things with the top makes them undroppable too so you can connect background wall to the top of a big skybridge and basically it can't be easily dropped (as if skybridges weren't hard enough to deal with!)

That said we had a really fun and intense match just now, builders kept sealing parts, using neat stuff like giving us tunnels but then dropping blocks down the tunnel to clear us out (can't get out of the way in time unless he timed the blockdrop badly). Was insanely fun.

10. Noburu

Uploading now!

Which map is this, there shouldnt be any wide open maps still on the server that dont have a pillar in the middle of them.

How about just stone/soil so you can still mine through it? Glad to see you are having fun.

EDIT: Changed the pillars in the middle of the maps to mostly soil so they can be mined through.

11. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Not helping!

that is a map with a pillar in the middle. the pillar is what is causing the problem. you cannot collapse structures tied to it. see the first two screenshots in that gallery: http://imgur.com/a/UPmSJ#0

these maps were better balanced in their original form, without the intrusive middle pillars. please remove the pillars, and return those maps to their old "wide-open" state

BlueLuigi likes this.
  12. bills6693

bills6693 Shopkeep Stealer

Yeah, normal maps but wider than they were before. Before, you could cata one base from within your starting zone, thus it was the first to build a cata as soon as the game began that would win. Just make the maps wider.

13. Baron_Norab

Updated the cave map, added more dirt and another open passage through the middle.

[​IMG]

14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

15. Noburu

Uploading now.

Both teams have equal chance to take the middle and IMO its still better than being catapulted to death. My maps are just temporary. We need more good maps like Baron's. I dont have time to make them. Make me a map and I will put it on the server.

The pillars wont matter in the next update anyway because dirt background wont provide support.

EDIT: I will try and make some more (and hopefully better) maps this weekend. No guarantees since Im not too creative.

16. Baron_Norab

Made a simple hill map, though it's 160x30. I hope it's not too short :P

[​IMG]

17. Noburu

Guess we will find out! Going into rotation now along with a cave map I just made:
    ActionCaves.png

I will take a few other maps out so the rotation isnt huge and we can see how fun the newer maps are.

EDIT: Going to try to make a sky based map next.

EDIT2: Welcome Hippo to KFC!

EDIT3: Server is currently set to rapid CTF. Its TDM with no respawns and a 5 minute time limit.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Baron_Norab like this.
  18. RocketRony

RocketRony Shipwright

Yey a cave map!!!!!!!!!!!! :))) that server is awesome anyway. needs a building time too.

19. Noburu

Server is back to unlimited respawn CTF now.

Thanks. You may have played on the server earlier this morning (USA time) when we were experimenting and there was intentionally no build time.

There will be an additional server coming online soon that will stay RapidCTF (6v6, small maps, no respawns). Just need to set it up.

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

fwiw we played a few hours of this today and the only issue with that canyon map was when some fool started tunnel barricading. The whole no respawns + 3 min timer thing means turtling only works so well and people die off pretty quickly which means if worst comes to worst and everyone still hates it at least you only hate it for a maximum of 3 minutes.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Noburu like this.
Mods: jackitch
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.