1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

BC's Flat Maps Server and why KAG needs it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NastyCamper, Feb 17, 2015.

1. NastyCamper

NastyCamper Builder Stabber

So BC had his flat maps server back up for about a week this past week and unfortunately now it's gone again. I say unfortunately for the following reasons:
    1. Because the map is flat, it doesn't pose nearly the same challenging learning curve for new players that some of the custom or more complex maps do. Learning builder is much easier because of built in back-walls, and abundance of resources, all resources are available somewhere on the map, and structures are naturally simpler due to the map layout. Complex structures are still possible for the more experienced players.
    2. For the fighting classes it's easier because the terrain is more easily navigable and because the buildings are simpler. This, I feel, allows for more skill based fighting when the terrain isn't as much of an issue.
    3. Despite the above two merits, experienced players still frequented this server, keeping the skill level high enough for it to be challenging but, again because of the above items, there was still plenty for the less skilled players to do and help their team.
    4. The server went from a few players to full at all hours of the day within a few days. Clearly it was popular and became popular very quickly. I obviously don't have stats to support this and it's purely anecdotal but I play a lot of KAG and it was tough to get into this server whereas almost every other server always has openings.
    What I'm not saying here is that it's the best server for KAG (I think it is but that's not the point of this post). So yes, there are servers with more limited resource maps, harder to navigate terrain, etc. Many players will prefer that and that's good. The game needs variety. But the game is in desperate need of new players. Servers like BC's (and previously LK's) flatten the learning curve for KAG which is something the game really needs.

On a related side note, I had more fun in the last week on BC's server than I've ever had on any BlackDeath or KAG official server. I'm not trashing those servers. The quality of players, the playful back and forth banter, the friendly competition, the hilarious antics of the new players exploring the game, all of those things made the last week on BC's server just plain awesome.

2. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I'd say flat maps are just plain. It gets monotonous, and as archer it's pretty dumb as you either sit in a tower lobbing shots or you go on the flat ground where every one shoots at the same level and it's impossible to dodge arrows or bombs. As builder you just move forward digging trapdoor caverns or increasingly decrease the playable combat zone for everyone else. I don't mind them every once in a while but having every map be the same flat landscape is like eating just plain rice for every meal.

3. super_gaming_geek

super_gaming_geek Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

Flat maps are really boring if you are an archer, and for me it's so easy to kill as a knight, no fun... :QQ:::(::QQ:::(::QQ:

4. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Naw, Flatmaps was one of the best servers on Classic like, ever.

icemusher and NastyCamper like this.
  5. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

@kodysch @super_gaming_geek
    NastyCamper just said that flat server is good for NEW players, not someone skilled like you. They get to learn faster and easier on a flat map than some wierd crazy terrain maps.

icemusher and norill like this.
  6. NastyCamper

Actually what I am saying is that the server is good for the game as a whole. There are elements for both skilled and new players but for the newer players the server poses less of a learning curve and provides a good playground/learning environment for them. For the skilled player there are benefits as well which I've indicated in the start of the thread. Like I said, it's not for everyone but, in my opinion, it's good for KAG which really needs more players.

thebonesauce likes this.
  7. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

What I wanted to say is that the server is good for newer players, because in that way, they can learn basic physics faster and better. Yes, there are also skilled players, but it might get boring for them (well, atleast for me) because there's no interesting or challenging terrain where they could manouver well.
    But it's my opinion, maybe there are some who especially like flat maps because they are 'easier' to play on (or just fun in some way).

8. flat maps AKA why the game should be called King Arthur's Projectiles

9. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Flatmaps by bc can be crappy like the bedrock map, the shitload amount materials(3k gold and A FUCKING LOT of stone), oh and ofc the one map where princess gatu is closed in bedrock is just evil and teases me every time

icemusher likes this.
  10. Spuds

Spuds Tree Planter

Hello everyone, I was encouraged by the positive feedback for flatmaps so I decided I would make a custom map for use outside of the dedicated flatmaps servers. My mock-up is a little rough right now, but I tried to distill the elements of what makes a flatmap so great and build up from there.

[​IMG]

Spawn points will be at opposite ends of the map, though I am thinking of making them closer to the meat grinder. Secondary placements include flags and resources. Flags can be anywhere as long as they are generally impossible to capture. For resources I’m thinking either dropping them from the sky or just pre-building a big stone wall for each base. Builders are really only good for making wooden swastikas anyway.

Now I know it feels like its missing some explosions but I’m working on a mod to cut out the middleman and just give everyone infinite bombs, I’ll keep you guys updated. Trust me when I say this is going to be the pinnacle of KAG gameplay.

P.S. It’s hard to see, but I have scattered bedrock in the dirt to prevent those pesky tunnelers from causing mischief/endgame. You’re welcome.

11. I find them pretty entertaining, and I think skilled players would enjoy it because their is no terrain advantage on default and USUALLY no bullshit counter slashers (you know who you are). But all in all I think BC Flatmaps is a good change to constant hills and crappy stalemate terrains

12. kodysch

So much win in one picture. If I could like it twice I would. Flat maps are okay when done in moderation but it behooves me that a server can play nothing but.

Also glad to see you on the forums spuds.

Kububv likes this.
  13. JediOfTheReich

JediOfTheReich Shark Slayer

I think flatmaps with a twist could be great. For example, the gold could be on an island above a pit at mid instead of in the ground at mid; or you could make a bison pit at mid? There are countless other creative ways that other people could imploy to make flatmaps more interesting. Just a thought.

14. NastyCamper

The maps do lend themselves to some interesting variety and some of them have made attempts at it. The map with the water troughs in front of the bases is fucking retarded and I think it might have been pulled. I haven't seen it in a while. The one with the neutral trampoline pits for miles and miles was also retarded. Those are really just lazy attempts to add variety.

I do like the ones with the pits in the middle. It's like there's a battle happening in two different places simultaneously and gives the tunnel gays something interesting to do besides be cowards.

icemusher likes this.
  15. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Wait, so, you're saying that the existence of flatmaps makes it a duty for you to have a server that plays nothing but said flatmaps? :huh?:

Or do you mean something else? Like, say, bamboozles; or, baffles; or, bemuses?

::P: (Sorry, couldn't help myself. Behoove [and/or behove, depending on where you live and which books you read] is one of my all-time favourite words; and seeing it misused made me all sad and grey on the inside...)

On-topic though:
    I'd really like to see a return of flatmaps, not because I think they're made from solid-gold rainbow-candy-fluff, but because I occasionally have the urge to relive the cancerous glory days of Classic when you could have a game that's been running for so long that there was literally no dirt, no stone, and everything was trapbridges from the 2-3 trees each team had managed to not kill. Good times. ^_^

swiggityswooty, icemusher and PUNK123 like this.
  16. kodysch

I don't know where I found the idea but I thought it was connotatively closer to the other b words with more perplexing like definitions, but don't be sad in grey for today I've learned the right way; now you should be gay and hopefully someday I can repay.

I'm okay with them just moderation, and a little bit more variety. When did elevation make less interesting/ harder to learn.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  17. startselect3

startselect3 Arsonist

Archer spam is so bad due to knights/other archers (who don't actually camp) not having cover in the flat fields.

18. swiggityswooty

swiggityswooty Shopkeep Stealer

:^)

PUNK123 likes this.