1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Why has building become so lazy in beta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kabahaly, Feb 20, 2015.

1. kabahaly

kabahaly Catapult Fodder

Used to play classic, I recently got gifted this game (about a couple of hours ago) and I checked it out. Besides the astonishing lack of players, I noticed one persistent thing that seems prevalent in the new version of KAG, and that is: Lazy buildings.

We've gone from grandiose castles with decorations inside, corridors, huge size, looked like it was created by an ant hivemind, to whatever the hell this is: [​IMG]

99% of the servers I go to, this is the building I see. A rectangle with rooms for every shop and THAT'S IT. That's our base for you. Seriously, what the hell has happened to building? Lack of creative minds? What's going on?

2. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

...Those are the shops. That's not the important part of the base, that's just where you buy stuff. Sometimes those don't even have rooms, and are just plopped around the place. I don't really know how classic worked but building a huge fortress by the tent in beta is pointless, and a common mistake made by new builders, the real defenses should go in front of the flag.

Were there really "grandiose castles with decorations inside, corridors, huge size, looked like it was created by an ant hivemind" in classic even? That just sounds like minecrafting to me. There are still pretty cool towers and fortresses in beta, but they won't be by the tent. Try walking to the left next time.

3. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

A lot of people prefer to use their time to FITE 1V1 SHREK N DESTROY MLG mines KEGS AND BOMBS OMG ALSO WATER ARROWS WOW IMA RAGE

you know what i mean
    yea

I'd love tho to see castles and things like that

4. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

You seem to be expecting minecrafting, and you even seem sad about the lack of it. Besides being burnable, there isn't really much wrong with that build for shops. I think Potatobird summed it up well when he said, "Try walking to the left next time." Building large defenses behind the flag(s) would be a colossal waste, and as the player base improves as a whole, builds tend to get more efficient and more well-made. After build time is over, the builders on your team should not still be in your base minecrafting "grandiose castles with decorations inside, [and] corridors [of] huge size." Not only is that a colossal waste of resources, but it is a waste of manpower as well. After build time, both teams (builders included) should be contesting the middle of the map and attempting to set up a tunnel and a forward wall. You might still see large structures in KAG, but those would likely just be in the form of a wall or flag enclosure, and not in the form of a massive castle near your team's tent as you seemingly expected. It's surprising that you're seeing efficiency and better play and are criticizing it. This isn't "lazy building," this is just an example of resources well-spent.

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

What's wrong with a little minecrafting, eh? Eh? :huh?:

I'll have you know sir that with the power of minecrafting (judiciously supplemented with some first-class shittery) I win most matches I play these days--even when my ping is fluctuating like a flamingo on polygraph and I can hardly manage to place a block every few seconds.

Minecrafting and the beautiful victories it brings will forever remain a mainstay of the KAG community! :hammer::rektlord::flex:

6. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Minecrafting in the right places is key. @Vidar always builds up front when he minecrafts and his minecrafting is actually useful as opposed to the unnecessary building by the tent

Dargona1018, SirDangalang and Fuzzle like this.
  7. kabahaly

kabahaly Catapult Fodder

Eh, I guess ideas of fun have changed over time. In Classic, we did not consider "efficient use of resources" fun. We considered building castles and useless buildings fun, after all, I'm playing this game for fun.

8. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Do you even play kag? and if so ill shrekt you m8
    the main difference is destructibility because all classes are faster, better explosives, ect that make building a huge base kinda useless

J-man2003 and Tern like this.
  9. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

m8, plz, dun try. you'll only get butthurt bc of the extreme cancer of my campy minecrafting. :hammer::potato::flex:

10. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I kinda support Kaba, in classic there were numerous of different types of buildings etc. and each having their own bonus's etc. in beta there's usually the common square shaped buildings, even near the flags. Then there's the occasional giant 1 block thick defense to stop bomb jumpers.

This is what I see usually, and I think part of the problem is that 4/10 or something on e team actually builds. The rest wait out the build time as archer / knight.

People who say this is just flashy stuff is kinda wrong, every block has a benefit or a not so benefit. Protection near tent? To stop spawn killing and also if theirs shops, to protect those to.

11. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

The other problem is that about 4/10 of the players stay in a safe tower to build. It isn't uncommon to see a team with no forward builder. So we end up with two massive towers. Water maps -_- only make this worse.

Darknighte9 and SirDangalang like this.
  12. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I think the minecrafting in classic was because we could have different colored lanterns and make rave towers

J-man2003 and PUNK123 like this.
  13. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Man, that must be repetitive
    [​IMG]
    On a serious note, these 'grandiose castles' can be found in Release, just not on CTF and TTH servers. You can still find them on sandbox/roleplay servers. Not sure how huge the castles were in le Classic, but they can be real chunky in release

J-man2003 likes this.
  14. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Each type of building may have its own pros and cons, but the bottom-line is that some buildings are just more efficient than others, and are preferable to buildings that take more resources to accomplish less. Furthermore, you should consider the pros and cons of different builds in addition to their efficiency. There are plenty of traps and buildings that can actually hurt your team more than they help your team, and decorative builds often fall into this category (while also wasting more resources).

This doesn't seem to be a massive problem, I often see large teams that consist entirely of builders during build time who are all contributing. In the event that some people are not building, it's usually only two or three people, and not over half of the team as you suggested.

This goes back to my first paragraph. Sure, a wall or some form of protection near the tent may stop spawn-killing, but is that really the best use of your team's time and resources? You spawn with invincibility, just go for the spawn-killer while you're invulnerable. Besides that, the time and resources spent there would very likely have been much better spent on the flag enclosure. The flag enclosure and front wall take the brunt of the damage, so either using those resources there instead, or at least saving the materials you would've used for a tent defense in storage for repairs instead would be more desirable to a large, semi-functional build at your team's tent.

J-man2003 likes this.
  15. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

@op: As you may or may not have noticed, most negative responses come from ignorant betafags who don't know what they're talking about when referring to classic.
    The thing with building is sad, and it's caused by multiple multiple reasons. First off, if you tried out the builder class, you probably noticed how bad and sticky your hammer and pick seem to be with all the fake blocks and so. Secondly, the amount of materials on map doesn't allow you to build like in the old days. Resupplies give less resources. The importancy of builder as a map-forming class has been reduced by boosting the mobility and destructive abilities of both combat classes (jumping with walljump is 7-9 blocks while it was 3 or 4 in classic, and for a while, knight was a fucking demoman and archer still is a god damn Hawkeye). Also, a mundane reason - flag is no longer at the tent. And, yes, the quality of the community dropped drastically as it usually does with hitting Steam, people are indeed more likely to find fun in killing and delivering destruction rather than construction.

Hallic and Rayne like this.
  16. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

About whoever said that the big castles are around the flag, they are not 60 blocks tall, 50 blocks wide like they used to be in classic, i love them.

17. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

coming from an "ignorant betafag" and "classicfag", building has adapted to the pace of the game. you can't deny that classic was slow as shit, and combat was so much more different. a 4 block wall put up in panic could keep a whole team back. builder in current, steam released kag is basically "less is sometimes better" when using resources. a platform + stone + shit pattern of building is better than classic's "spam stone around flag to keep people out." >good builders< still get to the front and help push the team forward, while shitty builders are now the ones that sit back in base wasting time building unnecessary designs. i highly doubt you not knowing how to aim your pickaxe when swinging is a major reason building has changed. flags outside of the spawn actually encourage you to build outside of spawn and expand your base using smart designs, instead of said "spam stone around flag and respawn point."

different games. different playing styles. different builds. different players.

18. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

[​IMG]
    mfw op is there anything more creative in classic than this? I didn't think so

19. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Welp all you said here is true, I just think that KAG is trying to be a innovative in one main way, that is combining fluent combat with terraria-like terrain modifying. And that putting more into that second element might be simply better, as more creative and also possibly less laggy. And while classic was indeed slow, you can't say it wasn't fun.

However, what OP is trying to point out is that smaller structures are not just a change in game mechanics, but they also show the changes in the community. It went from general chillness and having fun to this sick competetive OMFGREKT philosophy, in which your KD matters more than the actual fun you're experiencing.

J-man2003 likes this.
  20. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

That has one reason, the score works different in beta, you only get points by killing, and you lose them by dying, that is what turned the community in KD seekers, in Classic, you got points by:
    -hitting enemies
    -hitting siege machines
    -mining
    -chopping trees
    -building (or just coins by that, cant remember)
    -capturing the flag
    there were builders with more points than knights because you got points faster by building a base and mining... BUILDERS WITH MORE POINTS THAN KNIGHTS. (without having kills, only being productive)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    J-man2003 likes this.