1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1239] Strong/cheap flag defense

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Shadowor, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

This is how I defend the flag. I was inspired from clan-wars and great builders, and finished my technique.
    It costs 692 wood :wood_mat: and 736 stone :stone_mat: depending on the style. It may sound much, but using the resupply and a bit mining, you can do it easily, especially with a friend. If you focus on it, you can do it before the border disappears.

Layer 1:
    Imagine the ladder is the flag. You place the back walls like so, then comes the blocks. It is all about swapping stone and wood. This way, fire can't spread, but it still defends like it was stone, saving you resource.
    yo1.png
    Layer 2:
    Comes the second layer with platforms on the side. I place a stone block so fire won't spread.
    yo2.png
    Layer 3:
    This one is basically about adding another stone layer. Note that there is 2 platform facing downwards. Plus a trap block for traffic, you can use ladders too.
    yo3.png
    Layer 4:
    The final layer mostly about switching wood and stone blocks. We start the doors.
    yo4.png
    Layer 5:
    Finishing the top with doors and archer tower.
    yo5.png
    Summary:
    -A perfect bomb jump can go above it from ground level, but you can extend the tower
    -It can withstand a carried keg when it's blown right next to the wall (the platforms barely survive)
    -Totally neglects fire arrows. Not even 3 well aimed bomb arrow can go through
    -Easily repairable and defensible by any class. Players can move through relatively easily
    -With a friend you can easily pull it off before the match begins.
    -Works well with saw/spike traps

SoraBorealis, Clev, J-man2003 and 4 others like this.
  2. toughguy1380

toughguy1380 Base Burner

I liked your flag defense, now i can use this method to make my life easier :thumbs_up:::):

DeadLord23 likes this.
  3. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I suggest, Its not really that important, but adding stone backwalls to the wooden things, e.g the doors and platforms. Stops fire spread a bit and makes them stronger.

4. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Sadly this tower design (while very strong and well thought out (+1 for it)) suffers from trap block cancerness. An offensive builder can place 3 blocks and create a hidey hole at the base of your tower. If he then places back wall and doors (to prevent bombs from killing him) you'd only be able to stop him with a keg drop (might get caught or just blow up your tower) or your own builder (who would probably get killed very quickly if there are any enemy knights around, especially ones poking in and out of the hidey hole with the aid of the trap block.

You could also make it a little less stone heavy by using more wood back wall (where it doesn't border wood blocks of course) and getting rid of double stone doors (you really only need one to stop enemy knights from slashing their way in).

Very good tower design though, nice usage of wood.

hierbo and Noburu like this.
  5. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Nope, not a good flag defense. Three bomb arrows are enough to get access to the flag. There was a way to build in the previous build [1239] which made platforms a bit OP IMO.

Just sayin'.

Fuzzle likes this.
  6. EhRa

1. KRPG

You mean 3 precise fired bomb arrows. Not all archers are good aim. Or that good aim.

7. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

No good aim is required, just sayin'.

8. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

Pretty sure the point of this is to discuss the building, not just shit on it and explain nothing.
    Just sayin'.

SoraBorealis, Pizza and Ozminer like this.
  9. EhRa

1. KRPG

you could get the flag from behind with 2 bomb arrows.

10. Ozminer

Ozminer Bison Rider

lol, with around 3 knights passing through it I Think Not,
    Just sayin'.

11. golemn

golemn Shark Slayer

Theres not many flag defenses that 3 well placed bomb arrows wont get through. I dont think theres too much you can do about that without making the defense 8 blocks thick. This seems pretty decent all in all, though maybe a bit too time/resource consuming to build for me

12. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

lol you have no idea how many times I have done that myself.
    Just sayin'.

Anyways, I don't mind the structure myself. If I can be bothered I swap between wood and stone when building, but I just stick to 2-thick walls and don't use platforms. Some way to stop archers getting over it would be nice though. I can imagine a good archer having a field day up the top there, shooting any knight who tries to slash him right in the face.

13. toughguy1380

toughguy1380 Base Burner

14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Looks complex. I don't think you could reliably build this with interfering teammates in the time allotted. No defense against tunnelers either.

15. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

I very often use this flag defense. Albeit with some minor differences. It's very well rounded, cheap and still sturdy. You can easily make it during building time.

Included is my own tweaked version. It's slightly weaker, but cheaper, has no trap blocks and I even added an anti archer measure to shut up the haters.
    2015-05-03_00001.jpg 2015-05-03_00002.jpg 2015-05-03_00003.jpg

Attached Files: