1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Cross-Code

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Rayne, Mar 12, 2015.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Tomorrow, I am off work, so I'll give it a shot since you're recommending it!

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Amazing, 10/10 would recommend, can't wait for full game.

This is not sarcasm, seriously, this game is great, the controls so damn fluid, the graphics so damn pixel, the music so damn boss.

They're asking for quite a bit on their indiegogo though so I'm not very inclined to do it, I'm probably going to just buy the finished product.

4. thebonesauce

Playing a bit of the story mode, and you guys are right. The game is pretty bloody fantastic. The puzzle bits can be a little annoying, but they're not too hard to figure out so it balances out. It tests you, but doesn't require research on Google to pass. I'm more interested in the combat, judging from the little bits I saw at the beginning of the game. It seems like getting around and using all the different attacks and combos that I would have a fucking blast with it. Think I'm gonna make a generous donation to their Indiegogo.

e @BlueLuigi: I agree, they are asking for a rather high number. Thing is, whatever money is pledged, they get. It's not like Kickstarter where if they don't reach their goal they don't get anything. At the very least, they'll get a couple hundred/thousand bucks to pass hands with all the different devs on the team. Like I said, the game looks and plays great, so why not.

e2: Okay, these guys are kind of insane. Their Indiegogo rewards are bonkers, but the 150 euro tier is thus; "Become part of the game in form of a custom consumable. You decide what type of food you want to see in CrossCode and what kind of effect it will have! This includes everything from the Deluxe Fan Tier. Cool!"

I can't really say I was part of the game because I chose to have popcorn shrimp, suggested by myself, as a generic restorative. What the fuck does anyone else care? Is he gonna attach the donator's name to it? I'm just so confused...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    BlueLuigi and GFluegel like this.
  5. Rayne

After you clear the story demo you can play exploration mode which is 95% combat based. You start off at level 1 and you go bash some monsters to get exp. Each level gives 1 circuit point for each type of element(only neutral is available in the demo) which is used in the skill tree of the game. You can unlock these combat art skills which are pretty fucking cool.

I thought the puzzles were quite clever, especially the puzzle mode boss.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  6. GFluegel

GFluegel Catapult Fodder

Hello forum, one of the devs here!
    I found this discussion by coincidence while doing a quick Google search for new articles and the like.
    It's great to see that it made such a good impression on you, but I am mostly here to clear up so confusion.

Though, looking at KAG, it looks exactly like my kind of game as well. Why did I never hear of it and why now? Such bad timing... *downloads anyway*

Haha, indeed. I think you need a touch of insanity to work on something like that.
    Though I would like to hear more a detailed version of your impression regarding the rewards. We were mostly inspired by successful crowdfunding campaigns that came before us and by the material their hosts released about them. It's always interesting to hear feedback about them, because marketing is not really an exact science.

About the food: Each consumable will have a custom sprite in the full game and a description that the backer can write (within certain rules). It's a bit like the player-made Unique items in Path of Exile, though admittedly a bit less awesome and way less expensive. The name of the backer will definitely be connected to the food in the game and also get a special mention in the credits.

7. Rayne

Hey there! I love what you guys have done with CrossCode, this is the sort of game I've always wanted to make myself. Melee and Ranged combat flow so well together, it really is amazing what you've done with the controls for each. The art too is really well done, some things look kind of placeholder, but that's alright, the overall style reminds me of the Summon Night games, especially Lea's character sprite.

That timing too, I was thinking of signing up on your forums when I saw the alert for this post.

GFluegel and thebonesauce like this.
  8. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Damn, this game was fantastic. Lots of action and strategy in the combat, and the music is truly astounding. Not usually a fan of kickstarters, but this is one hell of an exception. Would recommend to other people

thebonesauce and GFluegel like this.
  9. Yo, Rayne, thanks for sharing! And @GFluegel congrats on the awesome game. The narrative is great and the controls are pretty fluid. Really like the way you planned out the combat system too! Good luck with the indiegogo campaign.

GFluegel and Rayne like this.
  10. GFluegel

GFluegel Catapult Fodder

Forgot about this:
    Actually, this only applies if you choose to do "Flexible Funding" at the start of the campaign, which we didn't. While you'd get the money even if you fail, you'd also be obligated to make good on your promises (in our case a release in early 2016) no matter how much money you actually got.
    Of course it's a grey area (crowdfunding is full of those), but we didn't want to risk betraying the trust of our supporters and ruining our reputation, so we just did the usual fixed funding. Either we reach the goal and aim for a release in early 2016 or we don't and continue to work on it without a targeted release date.

Anyway thanks for all your kind words, we are doing our best! Of course, the development itself is not the top priority at the moment, because we gotta concentrate on the crowdfunding (such are the shackles of our economic needs), but we hope that the future of this game can live up everyone's expectations.
    And Rayne, new users in our forum are always welcome. I especially recommend looking into our Speedrunning-thread. It's really amazing how some players are already analyzing and bending the game-mechanics at this early stage and doing really impressive runs.

And on another positive sidenote, I've played through tutorial and campaign of KAG, read up on the wiki and I love it already. Definitely buying two keys and looking forward to some multiplayer-sessions in the future, because it really mixes all the elements that I enjoy in a team-based competetive game.
    What a great sideeffect of a simple Google-search.

Noburu, Fate, Joiken and 4 others like this.
  11. thebonesauce

Hi there! Welcome to our humble little forum good sir, and am quite happy you enjoy KAG! I hope you didn't take my criticism too harshly, sometimes I can be a bit abrasive, but it certainly doesn't mean that I'm not interested! In the coming days, I plan to get a prepaid debit card and put some cash on it, thinking about $100 USD (not sure how that translates to euros) to pledge to you guys. My criticism on your rewards tiers is pretty much moot, because the game itself is a shining star in the middle of a black void. It's the beautiful light at the end of the tunnel, a game that handles so well that you catch on to the controls pretty swiftly.

Should I decide to pledge, your game will be the second crowdfunded game I have ever pledged to, the other being Where They Cremate The Roadkill, a surrealist game by visionary mind John Clowder, a collage artist who translates his ideas into games.

He has two releases, the first being Middens, an interesting labor of love featuring the lead character named Nomad, who is the last of his kind.
    When a world is destroyed or dies out, the last remains of the world is propelled into an endless, shapeless and ever-changing dimension known as The Rift. The first thing you encounter is a revolver that talks to you, literally called Talkative Revolver in your inventory. You later learn that her (yes, it's a she) name is Genie, and she encourages you to shoot and kill the denizens of The Rift, whether they are hostile or not. It's an exploration RPG akin to stuff like Yume Nikki, and there's a ton of areas to explore.

The second is Gingiva, which was funded through Kickstarter. He asked for $2400 and ended up getting $3647.
    Originally titled Moments Of Silence, you play as the titular Gingiva, an automaton with a female's body and a windup key for a head. The game begins with Gingiva doing menial labor, when she is called upon by someone named Holy Mother Most High. She states that your work has been subpar, and that you will suffer isolation, followed by corporeal punishment. While being held in a dark, dank room, a hole appears in the wall and you are introduced to a set of talking teeth, simply named Chatterteeth. He springs you from the room, and tells you that he knows of the location where her head was discarded. Throughout the game, every step you take is being watched by a malevolent, seemingly omnipresent deity known only as The Magistrate. Considering that her head is stored in a dump near The Magistrate's estate, I think anyone with a brain can figure out that there's gonna be tension and fighting. It's surprisingly very good.

In any case, I'm glad you took my statement as criticism opposed to shit talking. I really do hope you guys reach your goal... The game looks fantastic and considering it's an indie game opposed to a AAA title, you can barely tell that it was only made by a handful of people with next to no budget.

Also glad to hear you guys will continue working on it, regardless of whether it's funded or not. I always worry about that; I'll play a really great demo/alpha/beta release, will ask for funding, the funding fails and they just leave it to rot. CrossCode is shaping up to be a really really good thing, and I would be heartbroken to see such hard work and an incredibly playable combat system go to waste.

So here's my assessment of the demo; the graphics and graphical effects (like the Charge and Level Up segments) are superb. The music is surprisingly fantastic and seems to fit the themes of the game well. The combat system is silky smooth, and with how fast paced the combat can be, it keeps you on your toes and doesn't rely on gimmicky bullshit to raise the difficulty. Sure, you level up and can gain stronger weapons and armor, but by no means does that translate to easy or over-powered. The menu looks so good, it's intuitive and even the dumbest guy playing can learn as a result of good implementation of level design. The sound effects are pretty great, everything in it's right place. The story is fairly interesting, considering it's a game about controlling an avatar. The interesting twist is that it also implies we are controlling someone playing the game, the person controlling the avatar. I'm interested in where you guys are gonna go with the plot, because it's certainly a unique specimen.

Long story short, if you guys just gave up on the game in the event that the Indiegogo goes tits up, I would seriously fuckin' cry. It really is a shining example in a world full of shitty JRPGs and generic action games... It's a different take on the idea, and I'm definitely stoked to see the finished product, even if I have to wait longer for it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    GFluegel likes this.
  12. Rayne

I saw the speed-run thread already, and won't comment on how my times compare to theirs!

GFluegel and BlueLuigi like this.
  13. thebonesauce

A little more about King Arthur's Gold. It is a ton of fun, the lifeblood being the multiplayer. If you haven't already, check out King Arthur's Gold Classic. Classic is the older version of KAG before there was the graphical facelift, new content and new engine. Oh, and pretty much everything in-game runs on scripts, and if you're familiar with AngelScript you can make some crazy mods, or even new games based around KAG's engine. Shiprekt is a perfect example of what KAG's engine is capable of. Not long ago, a member of the community named @Ardivaba who mucked around during a test build and ended up making a small medieval helicopter called the Airscrew.

GFluegel likes this.
  14. Bint

Bint Haxor

Can't stop staring at this.
    [​IMG]

15. Rayne

best tutorial boss ever

GFluegel and thebonesauce like this.
  16. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Cross-Code is the kind of game I had been missing on PC platform for a very long time.

GFluegel and BlueLuigi like this.
  17. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I am so mesmerized by this game's fluidity that I am genuinely sad that it will never be finished.
    EDIT: I don't want it to, but I'm not so naiive after all the crowdfunding letdowns of the past.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  18. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I wish the story was a bit longer for a demo.

19. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Also, I could swear I played this demo or something like it many years ago. Am I imagining it or is this that old?

GFluegel likes this.
  20. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I played a few minutes and was really liking it then I lost my progress because i use mouse gestures in Palemoon and caused my browser to go back a page :P Going to give it a go again.

GFluegel likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi