1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Mines discussion

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Koveltskiis, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Koveltskiis

Koveltskiis Shark Slayer

Obviously you can put them in your inventory but what else can you do? I like using them as mind games where I have it in my hand and throw it where the enemy likely won't go then pick it up and repeat while dueling. This distracts and naturals attracts enemy players who default to detonating it. This leads to some easy bait and it can even kill people who are joining in on the fight! What are your strats on mines? :mine::thumbs_up::smug:

2. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Launch them from catapaults, hide them behind bodies, and all sorts of faffing about. You can never have too much fun with mines

Koveltskiis likes this.
  3. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Once, just as I threw a mine a block was placed on top of it which caused it to glitch through the ground and into an enemy tunnel that I hadn't even noticed - it killed 3 people.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. Koveltskiis

Koveltskiis Shark Slayer

So much fun I say! When people call me noobs for using mines I keep my head high and twirl my cane! Also I love when a dumb enemy triggers a mine and kills 3+ people at once 25252525

5. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Mines are pretty useful underground in poorly lit areas. This might help if you are a builder an knights some how got in.

Also I'm not recommending this, but you can put like 4 of them in your inventory and just run out to where all of the action is, die, and all of the mines shoot out of your dead body spreading them across the battlefield. Kind of like cluster bomb yourself.

until a knight bomb jumps off a mine and gets over your teams tower

6. Koveltskiis

Koveltskiis Shark Slayer

I didn't know you can stack them ;( I thought they just all shought out at the same place. Will try though!

7. ZeThtb

ZeThtb Haxor

Dark tunnels vs rats seems the most "easy" and best use, seeing how any grass is rapidly destroyed most of the time.

I buy them a lot as builder when building a -bomb-arrow-spam tower is not viable or the round demands for it, since;

You don't drop as much money, less cash for the enemy.
    IF your playing right, your at least dieing in enemy lands, so maybe destroy something.
    You can use them to blow things up (chuck a enemy corpse at it) if needed, but then again, you are a builder or?

8. HappySheep

HappySheep Horde Gibber

1. Use it on tunnels, because people wont see them.
    2. Put mines next to ally corpses, so they wont see it.
    3. Near doors, people get forced to explode them, opening bases.
    4. Mine + Corpse near a building that is about to collapse.
    5. Place it on inventory, then wait to people to die from the mine.

Mine is underrated and underused imo.

SirDangalang likes this.
  9. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

I kinda wish mines still did a little damage to shields (you know, when knights defuse them), would make for some interesting play imo.

tru0067 and HappySheep like this.
  10. HappySheep

HappySheep Horde Gibber

Yeah, like half a heart or 1 heart would be enough i guess.

Defusing bombs 24/7 in small maps gets retarded sometimes.

11. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Place backwall behind a tree and then a block that is obscured by the branches. If you do it behind your tower then when the enemy jumps down to get a penta kill they instead explode hilariously. I did this on a US server once since my ping was too high to actually fight. Just stood at the base of the tree as builder to bait them into jumping at me... KABOOM! Best troll session ever. If you dig a pit and put the seed at the bottom you can achieve the same thing on the ground, but its not as effective as most knights shield surf for the speed.

AmestriStephen likes this.
  12. LegendBeta

LegendBeta Shopkeep Stealer

Going to try this... !

13. rymcd

rymcd Bison Rider Staff Alumni Tester

Well there's always the classic mine throw from a high wall.
    I remember people used to not anticipate it as much and the multi kills would get so huge.

These days I find myself mostly using them in weird ways for fun. Sometimes I throw it over my enemies and try to slash them into it so they can't block it. Even if they block your slash they get stunned with a little knock back and POOF.

My all the time favorite though is one I found by mistake. When an enemy knight jumps on your mine it sends him flying into the air. During this moment a slash stomp on your target will one hit KO due to the high speeds stacking with each other.

You can also hide mines in trap blocks, Fellere is a mastermind with it. I still remember a match in gather where he nearly turned around a losing match with just mines. Lol it was so beautiful, We had fear in our hearts.:heart:

14. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Someone once did both of these to me in a match, was probably Fellere. I've never again felt such a strong mix of rage and admiration.

15. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Some facts about mines

Basic research:

• To destroy a mine, it takes:
      • 48 jabs
      • 12 slashes
      • 2 bomb explosions (may depend on proximity to the explosion)
      • 1 mine/keg explosion
      • 1 pickaxe
      • 1 collapsed block (wood or stone)
    • 1 mine destroys a catapult, 2 mines destroy a ballista
    • Check eragon200012's Explosions guide for more
    Obscure knowledge/techniques:
    • You can instantly destroy any mine (without detonating it) by throwing a saw at it
    • The only way you can grab an enemy mine is by looting a corpse with the mine inside the inventory
    • If you place a mine on a ledge, let it activate, then throw a water bomb at it, the mine will get knocked off the ledge while still active
      • Example video:
      • This is similar to throwing mines from high walls, except you don't need the height.
      • You can come up with a few variations of this, depending on the available terrain
    • In TDM maps with mechanisms, you can place a mine on an obstructor block (the mechanical trap blocks), then deactivate the block so that the mine falls onto an enemy below
    • You can booby-trap a catapult by loading it with a mine, then loading it with something else without firing. The mine disappears until the cata is destroyed, then it pops out for a nasty surprise
      • You can put an unlimited amount of mines into the catapult "storage" in this way. But the only way to get them out is to destroy the cata.
      • EDIT: I was uninformed about one thing: the mine gets put into a queue, so that after all the stone is launched from the cata, it will reappear in the cradle.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  16. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

Top quality science and post, I wouldn't mind seeing more (learned about the water bomb trick just now, gg).

J-man2003 and blackjoker77777 like this.
  17. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Be very evil and hide them behind two logs. Knights ignore them, archers will even try to hide in them, and builders are attracted to them. There is no better hiding place.

EDIT:
    In take the halls, you can be even more evil and hide them behind crates. Builders are attracted to crates like flies to a (spontaneously combustible) lantern.

J-man2003 and AmestriStephen like this.
  18. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Don't buy them and instead buy something useful.

19. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

I've gotten mine kills by grappling back and forth on the top of my tower to build momentum, and just hurling them into the distance, onto the face of some unsuspecting builder.

I give them enough airtime to arm, so they detonate the moment they touch someone. Rare that I actually get any kills doing this.. but it's really fun to see it work.

Lawrence_Shagsworth likes this.
  20. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I usually just activate it on the ground once i buy it and pick it right back up and go to fight without ever deploying it manually; it the heat of battle once you die a mine will not be easily avoidable to recent killers of yourself... I call it 'legacy mining'.

In other words, I hold a mine in my inventory and once I die it is more likely someone will step on it giving me a kill after I died.