1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

ReBalance mod discussion

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Rayne, Mar 13, 2015.

1. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

As swine said it's one heart we are talking about here the pierce is to give it a little more heft and for door stand offs, but a stun would be nice. alla @PUNK123 style buff ever'a thang.

2. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I like the back and forth, but lets be sure not to nix any ideas that are not tested yet. Unless the idea is completely preposterous on its face, there's no telling how it will play out. Remember, for the first time here, we have a reasonably objective group of people genuinely interested in balancing the game. We've never had anything like that before, as far as I've seen. No offense to the playtesters of this game, but I feel that group has been beat down over time to the point where they're more just trying to placate the squealers, rather than do meaningful game balance anymore.

What that means is that just because a tweak gets made in this mod, it doesn't mean that it is considered permanent. The changes are put in so that they can be tested. If the idea turns out to be bad for balance or an "un-fun" mechanic, the testing will bear that out, and it will be removed.

For example, if the builder attacks do end up being too spammy or powerful for a builder to have access to, that will be noticed, and then changed or tweaked further in a later build.

tl;dr: no worries, we got good people on it this time, and the trolls are barred from the discussion.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Noburu like this.
  3. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

@Monsteri and I still want to see drills boost movement speed on water!

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Moi aussi. ^_^

5. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Neinnein it shouldn't be a movement boost as such, it should propel you forward without even pressing anything but LMB :rekt:

amgtree, hierbo, Noburu and 1 other person like this.
  6. king-george

king-george Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

This looks like a good mod!

7. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I think it propelling you the opposite direction the drill is pointing. You could shot downwards underwater, to side, or even upwards to quickly get some air.
    I mean they could test it...

Blue_Tiger and Fuzzle like this.
  8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It should be in the direction it's pointing, not the opposite. Both due to the way drills work, and that being a significantly more intuitive control scheme. Would be happy to port that into vanilla tbh, sounds fun :)

9. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

My idea! My life is complete!

10. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

You should make it so you could be in a dinghy and use the drill to send you forward at the speed of sound

BlueLuigi and blackjoker77777 like this.
  11. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

AND it would make knights a hell of a lot less annoying in water! The builders would be like big, muscular fishies as they darted away from the heavy knights in their sluggish armor. Maybe also make grapple less of a pain to use in water?

Imagine if you could leap like a manly dolphin out of the sea... glorious
    :potato:

But on the other hand that would make boats even more worthless, and I've always kind of liked boat combat and wished it were more prevalent. One avenue to take would be making individual classes more fun to use in the water, and the other would be to reinforce water as an area that's frustrating to navigate without a boat (and then make boats more readily available).

SlayerSean likes this.
  12. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You could also just improve boats so much that everyone says "omg gotta have a boat!" maybe you could make boats much faster than they are now, more utility (Being able to put a catapult onto the longboat in addition to the war boat, for instance.). Also, give boats wings, because why not.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Rayne like this.
  13. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

You already can do that, and you can do it with ballistas too, it's sooo damn fun, but a) there are no good water maps and b) nobody does it even if there is a good water map. Boats just die way too fast to bombs and the like. But I think in some situations having siege with the mobility and dodging ability of a boat could be really cool.

Ideas that I think would help:
    • More choice in which direction the boat is turned, like what I suggested earlier for siege (spacebar to turn boat in driver seat?) It would of course be slower to backpedal the boat, but would also be a lot safer.
    • Repairing boat with wood, taking time ofc
    • Mounted bow on longboat as well, as a way to shoot down incoming projectiles and just make the boat more useful (also maybe make mounted bows on boats captureable?)
    • To make longboats (and probably only longboats) more useful as transport, a migrant/swabbie on each boat who sits near one seat and will "take over" for whoever was last rowing there, so for instance if you were rowing to the left and hopped off while holding the a key then he would sit in the seat and keep rowing left, to slowly bring your boat back to your team's shores. I think I remember a mechanic like that in some other mod but idk which one. With this change, if you buy a longboat and row a party of raiders over to the enemy side with holds full of kegs, you wouldn't just be giving up a free ship to the enemy.
    As for the flying boats, I had this (admittedly ridiculous) idea of craftable balloons that you could put on boats to make an airship ::P: then you'd have 3 different kinds of airship right there based on what resources you were willing to spend. Because we all know the current airship is the best vehicle in the game.
    but that would be for another mod...

BlueLuigi likes this.
  14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

That boat migrant mechanic is such a good idea, in general boats biggest problems IMO, and making boat maps is simple, for most 'mainly water' maps:
    1)Boats can't pass through each other, so if you want to get past an enemy boat you have to either take theirs over or break it, if you take theirs over, your boat is left there in a semi-vulnerable position
    2)Boat fighting is odd in many ways especially considering getting underneath the boat
    3)Boats (and siege) have the problem where having the siege on the boat can make it easy to end up sitting in the wrong seat [maybe if there was a different way to get into driving than there was to get into 'firing' positions this would be fixed]
    4)Maps where boats are good usually damn near require them, and their price is terrible, modifying the price = modded server = headache for most people, alternative is to swim which means most boats will kill you, or you will drown, water combat is also not so amazing IMO
    5)Water gimmicks are fucking disgusting, particularly building straight door hallways far enough under water where knights can get only 1-2 sword chops before it's a drowning risk, the builders can completely ignore them basically and keep building, this strat is even more dastardly when there is background under water, although it's already pretty strong just as a port to release boats.

I do very much so enjoy the Boat+Trampoline interaction though, seeing drills become something similar (but only for dinghys) would be awesome.

15. Monsteri

Docks.png

Attached Files:

16. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I don't get it

::(:

Yea boats even on water maps are not even used because of the price and the way you have to get them.

Also there needs to be moar sharks :fcp: on maps, but ones you can't take out of the water.

17. Monsteri

It's a dock

dock make boat

then it's easy for your average pubgoer who can't grab a grate and deploy it somewhere in the water, and you'll see much more naval action.

FuzzyBlueBaron, Noburu and BlueLuigi like this.
  18. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

I want to suggest class capping, mainly for archer.

As someone who mains archer, going in a pub CTF with more than 12 people (even MiniCTF), having an undodgeable amount arrows constantly coming at you is incredibly annoying. There is no way I can think of dealing with it other than capping the number of archers on a team. I think 4 is a suitable number.

Anonymuse likes this.
  19. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I understand your concern for arrow spam; however, I feel that limiting the amount of players that can play a specific class would not only be difficult to do but would be frustrating when someone is afk or bad at a class in particular

Noburu and blackjoker77777 like this.
  20. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

AFK is votekickable.

NinjaCell and BlueLuigi like this.