1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

omg flat maps are bad - no they aren't bad you are bad

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Jackard, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Can you recommend a server with well designed maps that discourage tunneling

because i am having difficulty finding one - most of these servers either run wacky gimmick maps or the default maps, which are garbage

Anonymuse likes this.
  2. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

I really wish more maps were made with anti-tunneling in mind. It's such a lacklustre way to end a match, it's not fun for any party involved.

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

One day there will be good maps, til then, there will only be gimmicks, flat, or shit.

It's really annoying, but the main thing is that making good maps means you need to play it, a lot, like seriously you need a lot of people to play it, people to be vocal about changes, and to actually try changes, almost every map you see that's just made, is shit. There's always some good ideas here and there, but never maps that people just call good (in CTF anyway)., that's kinda always been the case though, it was a lot easier when there were active people giving feedback right away, but I've had problems with it even with gimmick maps which usually make it a lot easier because of relying on that gimmick.

Noburu likes this.
  4. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

lately ive only been playing flat because the rest are just so bad

every time they tunnel straight to the flag its like, why the fuck am i playing this game

on a bad map tunneling is the only effective counter to tunneling and its tedious as shit

5. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

dont even get me started on flat maps : trampoline meta, spam, and tunneling is all that server is good for. you take mid with some better builders and decent protection and you pretty much win.

Kububv likes this.
  6. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

only saw you show up once, to complain about the flatness. then why join that server in the first place? not like youre lacking for non-flat servers

do you have any recommendations or not

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  7. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Speaking of flatness how's your mom doing?

8. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I think a lot of the vannila maps are not fun. They are all the same theme, with occasional deviations by adding water. I kind of wish there was something like urban maps. Ones with premade buildings as in a abandon village or town. Would make builder pretty cool. Especially if there was tall skyscraper maps.

9. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

It has occasionally been the case that flat maps has actually been the only option. A 32 player server will take up most the players and is unplayable due to piss poor code optimisation for 20+ players. A sandbox might have a few and a TDM a few and then the only CTF left is flat maps.

10. Yagger

i've joined more than a few different dozen times in the past week, usually sporting different names (if u cared enough to notice me). flatmaps is usually the /only/ US server that either has people or isn't lagging to shit (*cough* official *cough*). joining EU isn't my favorite when i can slash and not get a hit even though i have the sprite showing i swung.

Noburu, tru0067, Kububv and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

look this isnt difficult. flatmaps is often empty until i log in.

all i have to do is fuck around on it for 15ish minutes, waiting for enough people to get a real match started.

it works the same for most servers because of how few are populated at the same time

12. Yagger

so it being empty when you get on === must be empty majority?

i just launched 20 minutes ago and couldnt join because it was the only US, and it was filled for an hour

not to mention the countless times before that. just needs more active US servers i think, other than the officials and small time temp ones.

13. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

That's true for all servers really, the problem is most people don't care enough to do it.

Noburu likes this.
  14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

then show some initiative and jumpstart a server like i do instead of whining about the others

be the change you want to see. if you join it they will come. dont be a sheeple mannnn. etc

AmestriStephen likes this.
  15. moved the map discussion away

amgtree likes this.
  16. Leo

Leo Haxor

I am waiting for my new US dedicated to be delivered :wink:

17. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

Flatmaps are populated because a) you don't have to deal with shitty maps and b) you don't have to deal with shitty servers.
    People aren't joining official US servers because they lag to shit nowadays, and the only decent US server (CTF wise) would be flatmaps

Kububv likes this.
  18. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

to be fair, flatmaps has its own lag issues

butterscotch likes this.
  19. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The most sensible solution is taking those maps and placing bedrock barriers underground. Or make some new maps by your own, if you see clearly what problems the common have.

AmestriStephen and Anonymuse like this.
  20. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

and then somehow getting popular servers to implement them

Yeti5000 and amgtree like this.