1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What is a small change that could improve the current build drastically? [1236]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDirtySwine, Sep 7, 2014.

1. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Or you could yell at your teammates to stop putting them in stupid places. I really don't see this as a problem. I know BC did this on his server though.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  2. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

They are pretty much solely used to the enemy's advantage. They're literally indestructible enemy doors that your team can place.
    They are made even more useless by the fact that enemies can boost off of trap blocks while gliding, and the ease of wall climbing ensures that no pit is deep enough unless it is platformed and wide enough. Trap blocks on their own almost always benefit the enemy, and what newbie would suspect that a trap block isn't enough to trap?

3. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

The more I think about it, the more I want trap bridges to replace trap blocks

4. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

For trap blocks, allowing them to be moved through as a door would end up with a bunch of noobs gibbing themselves on saw traps. You should have to turn them off somehow, and safely.

5. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

*forcefully points to my signature, about trap block logic*

BlueLuigi and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  6. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

On CTF Expanded, Tsilliev added the ability to open trap blocks. You held E and clicked on the blocks, opening them for about 5 seconds, depending on what was there.

Corpsey likes this.
  7. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

1. were already testing this on flatmaps server, but since it is a hack the blocks dont open easily
    2. who cares? making trap blocks useful > some idiots dying

8. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

This has been bugging me for a while. Ever since the update where the inventory opens where you mouse cursor was, it's impossible to access items in your inventory if your mouse was too close to the edge of the screen (that is, if the inventory opens near the edge of the screen). You can see the items, but they are unresponsive to your mouse and you have to move your curser inward and open your inventory again.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Those were truly fun, trap blocks truly aren't.

The problem is that there are way too many noobs who think they know better who will do this, not to mention it's so fucking stupid it's like saying, here's a block that will act like normal stone for me, but allow my enemy to use it as they please, it's... it's almost like putting down doors for the enemy (which I've actually seen some retards have the audacity to do for some traps that basically make them doors for the enemy to come in underneath after a few bombs/kegs (sometimes not even that) to reach that 'entrance'.

Anything that limits you more than the enemy, is pretty much always retarded.

Look at old trap bridges from classic, when you couldn't move down on them, enemies could use them against you very well, it also made them sometimes questionably strong for your team, but there were almost never a way for an ally to use it against you. I think this is the biggest problem with trap blocks, and it needs to be considered the same way trap bridges were.

Once again though cause I'll pretty much say this every time I see these kinds of threads, as a precaution cause there's always a few tards who come in yelling for devs to fix it, someone should prototype it, only when it is done well, and the server stays well populated(*)/it's tested/generally accepted, should it bother to be added to the main stuff.

* = Questionable, at this point what gets populated is basically just what people seed as there aren't enough people usually for multiple servers to stay full for hours it seems.

FuzzyBlueBaron and tru0067 like this.
  10. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

Make beer a Blob.

11. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Am I correct considering this a challenge?

12. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

Consider it "a small change that could improve the current build drastically".

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

You know, I've been thinking on this and am half-persuaded by the argument that:

>trapbridges encouraged ultra-high, 100-block-thick, slab-towers
    >these were cancer to try and break through
    >hence abandoning trapbridges
    >however
    >enter the MUCH more powerful/aggressive/destructive siege equipment (not to mention kegs and fire & bomb arrows) of today
    >suddenly the slab-towers of yore seem a whole lot less cancerous
    #bringbacktrapbridges :heart:

tru0067, Dargona1018, dayleaf and 3 others like this.
  14. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

What are trap bridges? One-way trap blocks?

15. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

You know those platforms in most 2D games that you can stand on, but pass through when you press down? They're like that for your own team, but the enemy team can't stand on them at all.

16. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

*except when you fall at 120MPH with a X ping, there you will hit the trap bridge, make a little stop and then continue your falling*

17. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

They were the shit. You could do all sorts of interesting shit with them: if you tripped one of the enemy's trap bridge blocks, all adjacent ones opened at once, so you could cause whole enemy teams to fall into a pit as they were walking across their own bridge. This could be seen as a way they were balanced, since if you overused them you were setting up for a disaster. Not nearly as bad as trap blocks, though, since you don't even have the option to go through them when they're closed, so that it's rarely ever worth using them.
    It really bears emphasizing that these are blocks that your team can place, which are impassable to you and open for the enemy. Trap bridges, on the other hand, are passable to both teams, but your team can choose whether to walk on them or drop through them and they give your team an extra degree of mobility (when they're active). This is harmless in comparison to trap blocks.

18. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I can't wait until Geti adds it, and new scrubs are like "Colorful platforms!" and have platforms that collapse in on the archer nests. :potato:

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  19. DragonShark

DragonShark The one post after the other. Donator

Saws don't destroy other saws.

FuzzyBlueBaron and BlueLuigi like this.
  20. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

It's odd, because some times saws do destroy other saws but if they touch a certain way they just stack on top of each other or remove the blade from the other.