1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Locked tree-farms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 8x, May 10, 2015.

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I saw this yesterday ingame:

treefarm.png

When you have a treefarm and try to move the sawmill, usually you grab the seeds instead accidentally. With these platforms, it is impossible to grab any item laying around, so the saplings stay at their place. I tried to grab one of those sawmills and Iliterally couldn't.

Nothing else more, just wanted to share it here. I can't remember who was the guy who did it, but it'sa good idea.

2. It can be a pain though. It takes like double the resources of the regular one and if some idiot drops an expensive item in it you have to break half the thing to retrieve it. With the block breaking prioritization you often end up destroying a saw as well.

On the other hand, it is definitely useful in some cases so that newbie teammates or pesky enemies don't steal your saws/saplings.

3. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

To be honest, this could be a pretty good way of stockpiling kegs late-game so that a lonesome enemy knight can't steal them without a builder.

4. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

nigga this intelligent

J-man2003 and Darknighte9 like this.
  5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Ingenious. I've often used bridges placed down to make it harder for enemies to grab stufs, but not made the connection that it could be used like this. Noice. ::):

6. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Saw someone doing this on BC a few months ago I think, been copying the idea ever since.

I go something like this

:castle_wall::blank::castle_wall::blank::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :door::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::door:
    :door::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::door:
    :castle_wall::tree::castle_wall::tree::castle_wall:
    :dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt:

7. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Seemed pretty cool so I decided to do my own take on this idea:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TRADEMARK OF SHAG INCORPORATED

Delayed edit: In above pictures, the platforms are meant to be facing vertically downwards

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  8. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

locked tree farms are very bad because you cannot move the saw to the other trees beside it, forcing you to make multiple saws. Also, what about when the logs don't line up in the hole and you need to take the saw out and saw the rest of them.

Kububv and Potatobird like this.
  9. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

more saws better

then you built the farm wrong

learn to build

10. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Practice.

Knowing how to get your wood to line up with the hole is a life-long skill that will serve you well.

11. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

what if hes a bit square peg eh eh

FuzzyBlueBaron and PeggleFrank like this.
  12. makmoud98

The more saws, the more materials you need to build them, the more time you are away from the front lines as a builder, and therefore, the worse off your team is.
    You guys obviously have no idea what I'm talking about with the logs. Sometimes, even when you have the tree farm properly built, after it gets chopped down, the logs will not fall into the middle hole. It happens every once in a while. @rymcd @kittycity back me up on this one.

Dargona1018 and Anonymuse like this.
  13. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

The man's not lying, it happens even in a well-enclosed tree sometimes.

makmoud98 likes this.
  14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

not often enough to matter. youre making it out to be some serious flaw, a reason not to do this; when it happens what, once in a blue moon?

edit: btw is english not your first language? you seem to have missed his pun

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Klokinator and norill like this.
  15. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

This whole thing is just inefficient, if you have 8 trees you will need 4 saws and then you just lock them up, but if you dont lock them up you can just have one saw and move it around at leisure. Also if you lock the saws and you cut down the tree what if the logs get stuck on the top block? You dont want to break the platforms and then saw it and then just re-lock. This is just inefficient... but its good if you only have a 2 tree farm (maybe good, like if you have that one guy who steals all the saws)

CowboyDan likes this.
  16. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

look if you have time to build a proper four-tree farm, you have enough time to build an extra saw

norill likes this.
  17. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

A proper four tree farm is just finding a flat surface, moving the seeds and placing the backwall + blocks, and then the saw. It takes less than 30 seconds if your in build time. Also why waste materials on an extra saw?

18. makmoud98

OHHHH LOL HOW THE FUCK COULD I MISS THAT.. OOMG IM SO BAD

PeggleFrank likes this.
  19. That's not a pun, mate.
    Can confirm.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  20. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

it is a play on words, yes? making a joke from a word with multiple meanings, isnt that literally the definition of a pun?

also spoiler because this is like super irrelevant

why not? build time gives you more than enough mats to do this. are they so precious, you cant spare a few for an extra saw?

Last edited: May 13, 2015