1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Game is dying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo

Leo Haxor

"mad" is the wrong word, there are other games out there. "Sad" is more appropriate as I really like this one even if I don't have time to play it currently.

2. DragonShark

DragonShark The one post after the other. Donator

But I don't get how it's sad if there are no players on your server. If the game will be dead though it's dead, nothing to do about that.

3. Leo

Leo Haxor

What my servers have to do with anything ? My post was about KAG not about my servers...

PinXviiN, FuzzyBlueBaron and Fuzzle like this.
  4. DragonShark

The game probably won't go dead though. There are enough players who addictivly play the game (like me).
    And we just need some way to lure new people to kag and make them stay, that's the only solution for this problem.

5. Leo

Leo Haxor

Agree with this and that was the whole point of my post.

PUNK123 and PeggleFrank like this.
  6. DragonShark

But still the game is not nearly close to dying yet. When there are 20 players or less then we talk.

7. king-george

king-george Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Just make it cheaper dammit.

CowboyDan and DragonShark like this.
  8. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

I don't really know what you expect of an indie game.

I do know multiple games which were designed and developed with probably million of dollars and which have had huge attention due to actual store sales, advertisements on tv and whatnot ; and guess what: some of these games are now dead.

dead = there is no more official lobby / server available

That defines dead for a multiplayer game.

I do hear "Soldat is dead" for years too and well, ofc. the playerbase decreases and the devs could probably turn the game to something better. The game itself is not dead yet though. It will probably still be played in 5-10 years, I'm quite sure of that.

There seem to be quite a lot of new threads on the forum and there are ppl. playing kag. I have to admit that the activity is low compared to the 184,136 players who purchased the game.

Games die just as humans, rock bands, fashion styles or tv-series.

Appreciate when a small team with really limited budget stands out.

ps: also note that the game is from 2011. it did already last for quite a while.

9. Darknighte9

Darknighte9 Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. KAG Competitive League

*cough* Boost the competitive scene. Great multiplayer games (especially those that live on) have adequate competitive scenes. One of the primary reasons I started playing the game again to get better after almost completely dropping it (like many players have done in the past), was because I found out people played this game competitively.

Blue_Tiger and TheDirtySwine like this.
  10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Leo sorry to see you thinking of leaving, that said if your point was that we need new ways to lure and keep players, the OP does not really get that across, nor does it contribute anything towards a solution.

Yeah that's always attracted the highest calibre of gamer around hasn't it? Dirt cheap games, only the best play those right? People really give their full attention to the game they paid less for than a coffee right? Hackers really hate it when they can grab a pile of keys on the cheap don't they? Ten bucks sure is too much to ask for even an hour of entertainment.

That said, big sale coming at some undisclosable date. Don't say I didn't warn you.

11. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

this time we shouldnt go for that 100 - 0 score and make them all rage quit

12. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Oh well, I won't miss those 32-slot servers, anyway.

Blue_Tiger, DatNobby, Chukka and 4 others like this.
  13. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Rest in Piss, Black Death server

14. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Honestly, I feel like the emphasis is wrong here.

People keep talking about attracting and, more specifically, retaining players along the lines of "add X to the game, make the game more Y". But ask many long-term players about why they've stayed and you'll probably hear something along the lines of "came for the game, stayed for the community". My question is: what if the "solution" (as much as one exists) is not adding/tweaking game mechanics, but rather adding/tweaking social mechanics?

KAG is a multi-player game with a strong emphasis on teamwork; particularly micro teamwork (i.e. working together in tactical settings, like builder making ladders for knight over enemy walls)--although, ofc, macro teamwork (i.e. generally working towards the same over-arching goal) is also a thing. Thus, imho, it feels relatively self-evident that social bonds generated by the game--bonds that last between matches, that often jump from in-game to on-forum, that definitely affect in-game play/experience--are vital to the longevity of player participation.

Simply put: if people feel like they "belong" then they'll keep coming back, keep on hanging around, independent of their personal enjoyment/involvement with the game. The game acts as necessary focal point; but it's the social fabric the game generates that actually forms the basis of most peoples' continued engagement with the game.

And, sure, there are those who play KAG in total isolation from the players around them, for whom every other player may as well be a bot; but I'd suggest that they are very much in the minority--and that everyone else who's stuck around longer than a few months has done so because of the social capital they've invested/generated.

It's why @Leo had his servers, even though he didn't really play any more. It's why a myriad of young-old, old-old, and oooold-old fags who play irregularly still hang about and care to bitch about the direction the game is headed. Hell, in all honesty it's probably why @Geti continues to come and get involved with some of the shit-tier arguments that this community has managed to generate over the years... :huh?:

The game matters. It's the reason most of us ever had reason to interact in the first place. But it's also only half of the equation. KAG is a game played with others.

So my question, again, is:

If that "with others" element was working better, would more people find reason to continue to play the game?

Maybe? Just maybe... >_>

15. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Your post makes me think of how different TF2 would be without being able to use mics. If players could hear each other and strategize through voice, there would be a lot less negativity imo. I feel like players talk shit over chat because they forget it's another human they're talking to. Having voice integration could definitely help in a game that's so teamwork heavy

16. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Putting this into terms of player retention we need to be more helpful to new players. We need to give them a reason to stay. We need to stop watching them die because we don't know their name while we would risk anything for a familiar tag. They're a part of our team, lets treat them as such. Telling a new archer "hide under my shield buddy, I'll protect you" goes a huge way. And if you help your teams noobs out you might even win since you now have a better team.

Kububv likes this.
  17. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Lol as if noobs listen. You do something like that and he will either ignore you or say stfu.

FBB is adorably optimist, but truth is that the majority of players are (or were, when the game was more popular) people who might as well be bots and also view other players as bots. It's just the kind of people this game attracts. There's a reason johny98 is such a popular may may

18. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

An example from the medical world: http://dharmarajkarthikesan.com/2015/05/09/dear-doctors-be-kind-to-each-other/

We, those already embedded in the community, are the doctors. Those who are new to the game/forums are the patients. What would happen if we actually acted--to everyone we encountered, not just those we like/agree with--with a modicum of humility and good-nature?

Call it optimism if you will; but don't for a minute think that acting poorly towards others (something that most people here--myself included--are overly fond of) doesn't hurt the game, hurt the community, as much--if not more--than any game-breaking bug or glitch.

19. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Getting Geti to cut his hair would be easier then changing people's actions on the internet. Hell getting Geti to eat meat would be easier then that.

20. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

To be fair the KAG multiplayer lobby is awful and could use stuff like chat channels and friend list and parties etc.

Here you have a game that depends on organization and communication with almost zero tools to support them. Of course it ends up a confusing clusterfuck.

tetsouakira, DatNobby, Kububv and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.