1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Instakill Boulder Nerf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DragonShark, Jun 4, 2015.

1. DragonShark

DragonShark The one post after the other. Donator

So I was one of the very few archers who used boulders to kill some people, it was pretty hard to actually kill people with boulders. I was pretty good at it until the nerf came, boulders now are pretty much useless and my archer skills have gone downhill pretty bad since I can't really use boulders to kill people, it's basically suicide.
    You come close to try and kill someone with the boulder, you do 1 heart of damage, the boulder bounces off and you get slashed. Why the need of nerfing?

Sincerely, Jumpton (DragonShark).

2. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

The nerf was intended to remove the instakill aspect of the boulder because it was horribly broken. That said, the fact that it's almost entirely useless now is kind of sad, I'd like to see it being buffed as catapult fodder so that it's a more effective siege strategy. The mechanics of the boulder are stupid too; why the fuck should a boulder bounce off and fly around uselessly so the knights can just slash and kill you anyhow?

heX_ likes this.
  3. DragonShark

The instakill feature should be put back on, the boulder had a use then. It has been nerfed 2 times now. It doesn't destroy doors no more, I get that. But now the damage reduction is massive and unneeded. @Geti, please.

4. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

Why should it be put back in? Give a single good reason why instakill from a single block away/below made sense? It would make more sense if, as an archer, you were going fast enough via grapple to actually have the speed needed to kill someone with it. Other than that, no.

SirDangalang likes this.
  5. pls geti

In all seriousness though boulders should really get a buff in the siege/trap aspect now. If you spend the time to bring a heavy ass boulder to a catapult you should be rewarded with massive damage or instakills.

Also I think boulders and trampolines should be team specific. It's annoying to throw a boulder at an enemy just to have them catch it with ease. They are already very fragile so it's not like this would really be a buff but more of a tweak. As for tramps, it's mega bullshit when you spend time setting them up and an archer walks in and throws them all of your tower. It only takes 3 slashes, or 1 bomb to take out a stack of tramps so it won't be a big deal.

Honestly though if it were up to me I would remove tramps from CTF. Tunnels and catapults take time and are costly to set up effectively, but reward you with a quicker way across the map. It is incredibly easy to farm wood and make a stack of tramps that launches you across the map. If destroyed, you can just make them again in like 1-2 min; all in the safety of your base.

While were on this topic... Remove water bombs. I am a full supporter of water arrows because it's archers only counter against bombs. Yes it's annoying to get shot with them but it's also annoying to have several bombs lobbed at your face with no way to prevent it. Water bombs on the other hand are an unnecessary counter. Nobody uses them to stun knights with bombs because you have to get close. Archers are a support class. They should be able to stun enemies with water to support their knights. An archer can't just stun someone and then immediately rek him in the face. Water bomb gives knight the support role as well. They can stun someone 5 ft from them and immediately double slash.

I expected to type like 3 sentences but kinda went on a rant there. Sorry for that ::P:

TheDirtySwine and Blue_Tiger like this.
  6. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Bison Rider Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Boulder should never be able to insta kill. Also it wasn't a "very few" amount of people that used it. It was abused by many and that's why it was removed. Honestly, you just seem mad that your way of instant killing any class is gone.

I do think they should be powerful in catas though.

Darknighte9 likes this.
  7. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

Maybe only allow builders to carry the boulder? Sorta like drills but its a big rock

Darknighte9 likes this.
  8. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Boulders can still instakill with enough momentum. Archers are least affected by the nerf out of everyone.

I'd definitely like to see boulders used more with catapults, the damage to buildings is already there, nobody seems to notice though. Maybe if it kept more momentum when crashing through blocks...

To offset the nerf, it would be nice if boulders took more hits to break, a few sword swings shouldn't destroy it, this would make the bouncy physics even more fun & dangerous too. ::):

Would also be cool if you couldn't catch boulders, you would have to wait for them to touch the ground first.

9. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

it destroying doors was alot more balanced and useful than an op tactic you used to abuse

sounds good, but a tunneling builder with an instakilling boulder would easily make it insanely difficult to kill(builder vs builder)

kittycity and AmestriStephen like this.
  10. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

The boulder could sure use some love reducing its weight and heighten it's pickup priority would help.

PUNK123 likes this.
  11. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Why do people think archers should have a no-cost instakill melee weapon? Imo archers shouldn't be able to pick them up at all

What? how was that balanced? That was awful. Any archer could use resupply and 5 more stone to destroy an unlimited amount of doors anywhere on the map if they were able to slip past knights.

Well, I don't think it's worth making boulders better as anti-structure ammo. Normal stone shots already do that well enough, and boulders are just concentrated stone. I think it could be neat if boulders were buffed as an anti-player ammo, then you could use the normal stone shots to attack structures and put a boulder in if you needed to hit a group of players. Maybe if boulders shot from catapults broke into several shrapnel-like rocks on collision but didn't break blocks at all it could be used as a deadly artillery.

I also hate how fragile boulders are. I'm still trying to use them as a way to defend myself as a builder, but if I toss it at an incoming knight he just shatters it without even trying. I really like the idea of the bouncy non-instakill physics, but it's just not worth using them like that because they die so quickly.

12. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

I think they should put boulders back the way they were. In CTF, they were almost never used. It just takes to much effort to get them and way too little reward from using them. I have tried using boulders as a weapon in CTF, and it does work - for like 2 minutes. Then everyone catches on, and all you have to do against a boulder-archer, is back off and slash them. And once they're dead, they've also lost their boulder, which will waste time, effort and resources to get a new one.

In TDM, they were used every round sometimes, and they were highly frustrating to play against, especially if you weren't patient and observant. The reason I was annoyed by boulders is because they were used every round and it wasn't a fun tactic to play against more than every so often. All you need to do is to raise the price of them in TDM to 60 coins, and it would be fine. People would use them when they had a few extra coins from the round before, and it would still be a fun thing for them to do.

Now, though, boulders are completely unviable. Not only is there no shop maps on TDM anymore due to gimmick maps (making it so you can't really practice with them), even when you do perfect grapple-throws, ones which could kill 2-3 knights in a row before, you do like 2 hearts. Putting yourself in that situation is supposed to be high risk - high reward. Now, it's high risk, no reward.

No, they should have a high-cost instakill weapon that can be countered.

No knight or builder used boulders, so archers were most effected by the nerf.

pls

Siege is stupid and any nerf it gets is good.

Redshadow6 likes this.
  13. DragonShark

When boulders had an instakill feature it was also pretty easy to dodge the boulder if you know what you're dealing with. I rarely ever got smashed by a boulder because I knew what was going to happen. I am not saying that the full nerf should be reversed but maybe a little buff should be applied seeing how strong this nerf is.

(Boulders are just like basketballs right now.)

14. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

This is exactly what should happen imo.
    Boulder instakill (especially from up close, especially when it gave no weight penalty like kegs) was terrible and the nerf was long overdue.

15. Potatobird

People, boulders cost 35 stone. You switch to builder, mine 5 stone, and then you have a free boulder. They are super fucking easy to get. You can get them whenever you want.
    Right, so then all of the inexperienced players had to deal with being instantly destroyed countless times. How is this fun for them?

Also you guys should actually try them out before crying useless. I still like carrying them around as builder because they're really inexpensive and can actually be pretty good weapons even if they don't instakill. My only gripe with them at this point is how fragile they are. Knights accidentally kill them all the time.

16. Blue_Tiger

At first, sure, but eventually you are having to go all the way to the bottom of a pit to get your stone, then climb back up afterwards. I agree, though, boulders should've be more expensive, but they shouldn't be nerfed in any other way.

How is it fun for them to be instantly destroyed by a good player's amazing slashing timing, or getting ran around in circles by a good archer, or entombed by a good builder? Getting beat is part of the game, if you don't like it, why are you playing KAG?

I have tried them, like I said, I've landed shots that would kill 2-3 knights and only dealt 2 hearts of damage. It is more viable to just stomp without spending 50 coins on the boulder.

17. Potatobird

True, but the fewer strategys that exist purely to slay less experienced players (and accomplish nothing else really) the better.

You've tried one way of using them. Boulders aren't just an archer tool you know. Just because they were nerfed doesn't mean they're useless.
    Also, 50 coins on the boulder? Wat? Boulders are still pretty good as stomp assistants, I've gotten quite a few instakills already by dropping with them

kittycity likes this.
  18. Blue_Tiger

I don't play builder much, and I definitely don't play combat builder. In TDM, they are only really used as an archer tool.

19. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

It's insanely easy to get a boulder In ctf like potato said. My brother used to just make a huge mound of stone blocks to pickaxe 5 stone off.

And not just archers used boulders. Alot of builders used boulders to counter tunnelers with drills.

I dont think they should be instakill but maybe make them harder to destroy so when you go to counter a tunnel snake with a drill your boulders doesn't break before it's out of your hand

PUNK123 and Potatobird like this.
  20. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Plz Gerri.

Bring back boulder and make the game horribly, horribly broken again.

Also plz make it shoot lasers and let you fly if you can type in the Konami code. Because that would be horribly broken too.

Kthxbye.