1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Keep newcomers on Kag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snake19, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Leo

Leo Haxor

Do not reset your status. It won't help as there is a "backup" that never gets reset for this reason. Now, I know the points is not a really good idea but it's the only one I can use. If someone has a better one, an idea that will only allow new players to join the server I am all hears. The best solution would be for a way to check the hours someone has played KAG but I don't think that's possible. Also it's not possible to have admins 24/7 in server. If you can do something with scripting I'll use it.

Snake19 likes this.
  2. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

well the game is currently only ~5 bucks. Sounds like a lucrative job

3. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Sounds like a good idea, maybe have a few boys on the server as well? This will help, keep the server populated..... Pretty sure no newbie wants to play by themselves...

Tynite likes this.
  4. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

last night the server was full with more than 20 new players on it! :)

5. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

I can't believe I missed that ::(:

6. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Yeah, was good to see. We do need to keep it running/start it up ourselves though; today the regular servers are flooded with new players who have no clue.
    I wish the tut was finished before the sale started ::(:
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 14, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 14, 2015 ---
    I wish i could help but have no knowledge of these things. but I think it's better to not have this points based system, just admin the server and be loose with the permbans. I mean, my BD score is -500 ::P:

Snake19 likes this.
  7. Leo

Leo Haxor

There is no way to "admin" the server 24/7. There must be an automatic way to keep old players out.

8. Snake19

1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

yes we need more admins, who go on the empty server and wait the new players for help them

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  9. Leo

Leo Haxor

Hmm... I have an idea that will work for sure but I'll need the help of the developing team. I can make a white list but I'll need a list of users that have bought the game in the last, let's say, 3 days. This list must be updated and the info given to me on a daily bases. Don't know if that's possible though. Maybe the developes don't like the idea. Is anywhere public which users have bought a steam game ?

10. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

I realise that. What I'm saying is that's it better imo to not have a system at all (and just rely on good faith for when no admin is around) than this system. Obviously some help from the devs, preferably for a system based on playtime, would be ideal.

11. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

That's not a bad idea, but it should be a few weeks, not a few days.

12. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

This is a time where a dedicated "level" or "rank" system could come in place, even if only for this purpose. I completely forgot about Leo's rank system; if he didn't put that in place, a new player server would be much less effective.

Damn, that's genius. You're truly a saint.

I'd just hope that newcomers can't rank up very quickly. If you're learning the game in a comfortable environment and then get booted from the only server you know, it's a bit uncomfortable having to go out and find another server. I don't think your rank system is detected as a mod (it's not in its own folder and thus isn't scanned), so the newcomers server should show up as a vanilla server. The automatic filter is definitely unable to stand on its own, though; I'm not saying it's not going to help, but there need to be manual admins and moderators as well in case a skilled player with a very, very low rank shows up. Some newcomers might have some natural talent, but once they refine that talent into skill, they need to go and join a real server, like Black Death or the officials.

Servers show up on the server browser according to player count. If you could "bloat" the player count somehow to make it stay at the top, that would be helpful for attracting new players. Not sure that's allowed, though.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 14, 2015 ---
    I think there's an unofficial Steam database with its own API for you to use. I can't remember where it was, but it's called Steam Database or something.

13. Leo

Leo Haxor

FOUND IT GUYS! I managed to modify the script and now it checks for number of kills only and not for points. Now the question is how many kills for someone to not considered a noob anymore ?

14. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Not sure that's better than the old system, although I'm not sure how rank was determined, so maybe it is better.

If a noob knight manages to get into the enemy base and kill a bunch of builders and archers who don't know any better, does that make them "pro" or just lucky? Likewise, if a player is playing as a builder and a builder only for the entire match, they'll probably have one or two kills at the end of the match at best. They'll never be booted out.

15. Snake19

1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

I have no idea because as said @PeggleFrank :

And it is is what happened yesterday.
    A player called "Aerofever" with a rank of 25 to 17 was banned yesterday because it reached 11 points!

16. Leo

Leo Haxor

There is no perfect system I am afraid. However kills is a much better indicator on how long have you been playing the game and that's what we want to know. I have inpute 500 kills for now, this can be changed easily.

17. Snake19

1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

So why not test with the flags ?
    many players do not care about the rank, but everyone plays a minimum the goal right?
    i think 10 flags = and he can be kicked of the server

18. Leo

Leo Haxor

flag is the least accurate, you can play for weeks and never cap. I think kills is best we can do.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  19. Snake19

1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

So 200-300 kills ?

20. Leo

Leo Haxor

I have input 500 kills

Snake19 likes this.