1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Something is ending but does something begin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fernegulus, Jun 21, 2015.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Who cares? Leo hasn't been into this community for months judging by every time he posted, "DURRR COMMUNITY IS DED, GAME IS DED."

You'd think he'd try to mend the community instead of posting a thread about hating the game and the community once a month.

kittycity and Bammboo like this.
  2. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I'm not talking about the "consistency fixes" he did a while back, I'm talking about fixing KAG in general, everything he thinks is wrong with it. You're talking like you're defending him without reading any post.
    If you don't know what you're talking about don't talk, you're goddamn annoying

3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

so i do not know what i am talking about because i think it is the developers jobs to fix the game and not a tester:huh?:. I am grateful for what he did period; whether it be consitency fixes, or all the inventory re-working he has done. He seems to want the api fixed(as im sure alot of server hosters do) and your response is "why dont you do it they'll probally pay you". That is not the point; people, like leo, have been wanting the api fixed for months. I didnt understand how hard it would be to do it til asumagic explained it(like other things), but that doesnt mean im wrong for still wanting it fixed. It doesnt mean i dont know what i am talking about when i ask for a feature to be fixed. Anyway, skepticism about the importance of mechanisms, over bug fixes, does not merit a "if you dont like it why dont you fix it".The point being made is that the api shouldve been fixed before mechanicism, and that is a valid stance. I honestly do not care about any of this, because it doesnt really affect me, but it annoys me that you are putting the blame on the customer(fuzzle) and not the manufacturer(developers).

Kabouter123 likes this.
  4. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

I had an update ready. I had rewritten almost every script to perfection, with a changelog of nearly 20 pages. Problem is, I've become demotivated AF at the worst possible time. I had exams so I had to leave the shizz' for a while. In the meantime Verz and Leo left. BD's gone. My connection is shizzly AF, and BD was the only server where I didn't get insta-banned. The competitive scene is dead. Then there's the boulder "fix", the slash animation, the drowning shizz', and now trap blocks with door-functionality? Wtf.

PUNK123 likes this.
  5. thebonesauce

"BD was the only server where I didn't get insta-banned."

You might wanna look into that, that's probably more telling of you and how you act in game than how the servers on KAG are shit.

6. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

thebonesauce, I solely stated my reasons for being demotivated.
    I never called the other servers "shit".

//Play nice, or you might get slapped - Kaizokuroof.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  7. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Okay you two if you can't keep it down in public then move to a pm to bitch at each other, nobody wants to see you two getting this worked up over stuff. Gonna hand out infractions very strictly from this post on.

PeggleFrank and Mazey like this.
  8. thebonesauce

You can hand out an infraction if you like, just sayin' that dude shouldn't act like he's entitled to say what he feels like.

9. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

>freedom of speech

10. thebonesauce

Well sure. Just as he has the freedom to say stupid shit, I have the freedom to tell him he's stupid for said stupid shit.

No matter, I won't keep generating an argument.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

*years.

Thing is, it hasn't been a deal-breaker that entire time (steam release came and went with the same API client code, several sales, humble bundle), and we have significantly bigger and more rewarding priorities at the moment (an entire separate game). I've heard people saying that the situation has changed there - the API itself has had a few hardware problems, but the API client code has not changed since somewhere mid-2013, whenever it was changed to crash rather than silently disappear from the server list.

It's fine that you think we should fix it, are disappointed in us for not fixing it, whatever. That's your right, and your choice.

Honestly: we aren't going to fix it, at least not until trench run is out, and we're hedging our bets by relying on the API minimally for trench run as well.

We've supported KAG for years, we have new people working on the maintenance of it, but I'm not interested in spending more full time years of my life on this game, especially not fixing thankless backend bugs, and especially not because some admin leaves in a huff after years of posting "dead game bad community bad dev" threads. I have no obligation to you guys to endlessly maintain, fix, and evolve this game; and honestly it feels less like a creative pursuit and more like a battle of attrition at this point.

12. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

That's why you should just make KAG 2 after Trench Run and fix and improve everything that's not working in the current game

heX_ likes this.
  13. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

inb4 KAG3D

Dargona1018, NinjaCell, Galen and 2 others like this.
  14. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Too late: Chivalry

15. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

If you wish fixing everything etc etc and optimizing everything, they'd rather make yet another new engine (as it happened with Beta) and this would take months and I'm ready to bet the community would have left already.

Supporting a game for 3 years is quite good for an indie studio having other projects, imho. I never did regret those 10€ I did put in this game, since I've played it for around 1000 hours, most likely more. Let's hope THD creates up some new creative and nice games; and they're quite on the way.

voper45, SirDangalang and 101i like this.
  16. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Be grateful for the developers for what they have done for you. They made a great game that we have all at some point enjoyed. They're not entitled to keep up KAG updates this long after release, as already said, 3 years is pretty good for an indie game. The game is essentially founded on faulty hardware that essentially cannot be fixed. THEY CAN'T HELP THIS. So would everyone stop complaining about it. They've done what they can with what they have and they can't make it better without breaking everything else. I get that lots of people may be ignorant of this, and thus bash the devs for their perceived laziness and stupidity, but I hope that you get it now. Instead of saying "Fix this", ask "Can you fix this?" or "Why hasn't this been fixed?". It's called manners.
    I'd love to see KAG2 with a completely optimized rewrite on a better engine, and that quite frankly is the only way to 'fix' KAG, to rebuild it. But I understand that that's not necessarily a direction the devs want to take. They probably want to move on to different things, especially after all the negative experiences with KAG (eg. this thread).

"Dead game is dead"
    Ok. So what? All games die. We had our fun while it lasted.

voper45 likes this.
  17. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

(no, this only did happen once or more, the problem is the shitty api client code)

They can but it'd be too long for nothing, and I understand them. Hey guys there, if you're coding in C++ you can rewrite it yourself and submit it to Geti. Suddenly, no one is left, right?

They already did this with Beta, I doubt they wish to do that again.

18. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

The issue is with the API, which is a software issue that can be fixed, albeit with quite a bit of work.

KAG is not dead, nor is it dying because someone posted a thread about the game dying after some guy shut his servers down due to an annoying bug. We've stuck around this long; I think you'll find that most of us will continue to stick around for a good bit longer.

Darknighte9 likes this.
  19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: what tru0067 is saying - The performance issues that affect people are a result of shonky architecture that wasn't fixed with the classic->beta transition; the idea at the time was good but the implementation is lacking, and as I've said elsewhere, intractable to optimise. Really good for modding though (everything in scripts), so there's that. Indeed the issue that tipped Leo over the edge is a separate issue but it's not incorrect to say the game is on a faulty foundation.

Sorry for being less than genial in this thread, by the way. I'm sad to see him gone, and regretful that there's broken stuff, but I'm one guy who's very sick of working on the same thing. I'm sure it's very easy to forget "devs are people too" but, well, here's your reminder.

20. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for clearing it up. Not too familiar with coding etc. so please forgive me. Still, my general points stand. It's essentially unfixable (would take too long) and more importantly it's not going to be fixed, and complaining won't fix that fact.

I 100000% agree.

Geti likes this.