1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog [KAG] Build 1591 - Maps and Bombs!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Aug 28, 2015.

1. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

i read it differently as a shot towards people who thought the game should be played correctly (ie people who do not want you to change mechanics to help players who dont bother to learn the mechanics before they use them) hopefully you can see my confusion then.

2. AJFaas

AJFaas Base Burner
    1. supr sekrit cln [skrt]

I dont believe constructive criticism would come through to geti. I understand that ranting doesnt do much good either but atleast its good for venting out the frustration his weird decisions bring me. And I honestly believe he should use some more sense:
    Geti, dont make these half assed test builds, test that shit out properly before you release it! Alpha is over mate and we arent testers we wanna play a game that has its core mechanics in order and doesnt keep balancing back and forth the whole time. IF KAG IS STILL BETA ATLEAST SELL IT AS BETA AND DONT MISLEAD PEOPLE INTO THINKING YOURE SELLING A GAME THAT IS DONE(money scam?). Thats pretty much what I mean with common sense. And I hope that this was constructive enough so that geti doesnt discard it as a mindless rant.

Fuzzle likes this.
  3. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

The old trap block excels at keeping traps teamsafe from the movement impaired :X3:
    I also appreciate all work you've done on kag geti:heart::flex:

4. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Hello I am too lazy to check but does adding fakespin.as to spikes fuck them up? Or does it just make it look like a spinning ball of death? I've been trying to imagine it in my head and each time I imagine good things. Is my imagination wrong? Is a spinning spike when dropped a good thing? This is my philisophical dilemma. I no longer understand reality. Two weeks later I no longer eat food. Just water and the burning question of spinning spikes. I also have heart burn and the burning sensation of my heart is intensified by the burning desire in my eyes to see a spinning flying spike of death launched from a tramp cannon. Also Geti I got top of the score board with spike tramp sniper kills on KAG captains. I think it's the first time I had positive k/d since classic. If anyone else in the usual mumble crew tells you to nerf tramps you need remember this. It's too much work and they'll forget about it in a week or so, so it's not worth you doing anything about it. It also brings me enjoyment and happiness and helps me remember that my heartburn isn't a burning philisophical desire but probably from the steak I ate on Friday. I want more steak... But the heartburn... These are the questions out youth must ask themselves. Steak and heartburn? Or no steak and depression?

5. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

wow Faas chill a bit man, you don't need to be aggressive that much...
    *fakerolling.as

PUNK123 and Fellere825 like this.
  6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I generally don't discard anything i read ahead of time. The whole "money scam" thing is the kind of over-dramatic accusation that makes it very hard to read anything you write charitably though. If you didn't believe you've gotten way more than ten bucks of value out of the years you've played the game, you wouldn't be here. The rest of your post is soured by that ridiculous ANGRY CUSTOMER vibe.

The game's balance is not shifting "back and forth" as much as you seem to think, at least in my eyes. The "huge knight nerf" this build has gone unnoticed by the majority of public players, and really only affects inaccurately tossed bombs, and narrows the timing window for aerial bomb jumps.

If anything, the game is slightly knight biased but all classes (and more importantly, both teams) have equal chance to make big, meaningful plays, and ultimately, to win. TDM is definitely a special case where archers can kite for days, but other than nuking all of the bullshit maps there there's only so much that can be done without affecting the real mode (new maps are welcome, but we got most of the "bullshit" maps from the last community submission pool).

Re: weird decisions - you're free to like, discuss them directly. Mumbling angrily under your breath about how I don't make sense, clearly ripping you off, breaking your game might help make you feel better, but doesn't give me much to work with other than this grumpy, mostly idle, historically hard to work with forumgoer thinks I made a bad call. Big whoop.

That's as much of my time as I'll be giving you today.

I don't think so, but I'd have to check. depends if it changes the angle of the sprite or of the object. For the most part I guess it shouldn't matter though as they shouldn't be moving except when falling anyway.

7. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Geti is best customer service representative. He speaks Aussie English, and doesn't sound like he is from India. He also doesn't get mad at me, like this one time I was talking to customer service for Banana Republic and it was this Indian guy. His accent was so thick that when I was trying to open up a store card of some shit I made him upset because my income was something I didn't want to discuss on the phone. He got pissed and apparently wanted to talk to the employee at the store. Lesson learned Indian Customer Service Representatives are weird and Geti understands and speaks Aussie English. He also doesn't get mad when you make fun of him and tell him racist jokes about Kiwis. If I was the customer service rep of Kag I'd tell you, "we will look into it sir and your views are being heard." Then I would promptly write five variations of that put it into Microsoft word to save for whenever someone got mad. Then I would go about my day wondering if I should risk heartburn for a steak.

8. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Fellere off his meds again

9. AJFaas

AJFaas Base Burner
    1. supr sekrit cln [skrt]

I thing that I more than plenty have gotten the value outta this game for sure, and kag is definitely worth 10 bucks how it stands now. But still you are selling it as something that it is not; a finished product. Thats the scam i am talking about.

Kag is probably my favorite game I have and my real problem with it is that it keeps changing and changing and it doesnt allow me to settle in(seriously why didnt you guys finish the balancing before you went to full game?). After all this time it still frustrates tons of people with its unbalanced and undone crap, and it doesnt reward getting good at it(you can be a great knight and still get stabbed to death in a second by some lagging newb. or your bombs get stuck to your damn hand when you wanna toss it back(fix that already!)). And classes are unbalanced(If your team doesnt have a good builder you simply lost the game already and archers are just there to annoy the living crap outta everyone, they dont even really contribute to the team).

Baseline is that im just speaking for myself here. these are the problems that i have with kag as a knight. I can simply say that kag used to be way more fun for me, and when you buy a full game you expect the game to stay as much fun as when you bought it. Maybe im so aggrevated on the forum the whole time because i dont even wanna post all this crap. I just wanna play my damn kag the way I enjoy it, not that everything I like keeps getting taken away from me.

Heres a simple comparison to whats happening, geti. You gave out sweet candy and now youre grabbing it back. And people get mad when you steal their candy.

10. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

More like he gave you cherry sourball but changed the flavor to raspberry, most people like both or the latter, but you prefer cherry. He didn't take your candy at all, it's still here.

11. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

You're right about this.
    Team-based game :)
    I know some archers that are like a one-man army, I agree that archers are annoying for me too (since I'm used to play mostly knight), but on the other hand sometimes you can't win without their assist (water arrows help? bomb arrows opening a gate for you? arrow ladder? ... ).

12. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Sounds like you are getting mad at the wrong person for the wrong reasons.

13. GreyHCK

GreyHCK Shark Slayer

can we nerf bombarrows now? why should i take damage when i get hit by one while shielding?

14. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

I think it would be good to increase again the ranks of the bomb of a tile.
    I agreed to a nerve of the bomb but not as much :p

15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

You're doing it wrong, then. I've seen lots of knights succesfully block bomb arrows. Even saw someone jump off a tower to block one, and use the blast to launch himself over their tower, without taking damage.

16. GreyHCK

GreyHCK Shark Slayer

wth, i always take a part of damage if i block a bomb arrow

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

KAG's more finished than 95% of other indie games sold as finished I've played. If you wanted AAA polish the $100 titles can be found outside the $10 bracket. We'll try for a higher level of polish and "completeness" in future titles, but this is what happened with our years of two people working on it. Sorry if it doesn't line up exactly with your expectations and preferences, but, well, see below.
    We have more players than just you. We have people that want to play solo knight and be able to beat teams of 10 time after time. We have archers that want to camp on the highest point of the map and still get kills. We have tunnel rat builders who want their 1000 wood from farm to be more effective. We have lemming knights who just hold WD and click rapidly when they're near someone. We have CQC archers who want more kiting ability. We have frontline support builders who want to be able to gank knights. We have people who actually multi-class as appropriate. All of these people need to be catered to in some way or another, because like it or not KAG is not just about pleasing solo knights (or it'd just be "1v1 me" mode), and we don't have the huge playerbase to be able to say "KAG is now MLG skill-only game no casuals allowed".

There's a thread here about how the community pull us one way and the other for better or worse. I agree with Trumbles about it being for worse sometimes; I don't agree that ignoring the community is something we can really afford to do at this point in the game's life though.

Just try to see from my point of view; we have a lot more voices than just knight main players giving us feedback. Unfortunately, we have to give them all the same type of "sweets", to use your analogy.

IIRC depends on the distance you're at - if you're within arrow stun range I think your shield gets knocked by the arrow and then you get damaged by the explosion. Can also be annoying shield-angle stuff letting it hit you "around the corners".

Still covers a huge area with minimum 1.5h for 25c tbqh. I'm not having trouble affording bombs or getting kills with them, I'm happy to listen about this stuff but I'd rather spend any time I'm spending on KAG looking at "real issues" like Faas says with tossing stuff away by mashing C not working and the like, and my focus is squarely on TR til we've got a multiplayer build out at the moment.

darlanlogin likes this.
  18. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Just be glad Geti even bothers to respond to these threads. If it were MM that was the more public facing dev, you probably wouldn't even get these posts. :) Let alone a response to your complaints.

19. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Geti has been more than accommodating to this community... That's why I was confident in the generous donation I made earlier this year. I've never seen developers with more passion, patience, and care than the THD devs. Instead of focusing on the few bugs and downsides to kag, we need to remind ourselves the beauty of the game in the first place. Think about it... Would you even bother posting on these forums if you didn't care about kag in the first place? They made a quality game that I've spent thousands of hours playing... Not many games have done that. I don't see a problem with giving suggestions and ideas, but please be mindful of the hard work the devs have put in before complaining and criticizing their work.

darlanlogin likes this.
  20. Lee_Shioon

Lee_Shioon NinjaBrian in disguise Donator

I've been surprisingly enjoying the bomb nerf lately though it also significantly decreases the chance of you getting a full propulsion from a single bomb jump. Yes, you can successfully get a proper full-on, erect bomb jump by dropping a lit bomb and by jumping over it, however, I find it hard to doing a bomb jump whilst mid-air or by quickly letting go of it due to unstable ping and my latency in and around while playing the game resulting from flaccid to semi-flaccid propulsion (it used to be semi-flaccid to mildly full-on with the previous bomb). So I either have to release the bomb prematurely to get a mediocre bomb jump or I'll risk blowing myself up with it. I guess it's just me since I've always had an unstable ping but I will keep trying to get it up to what it should be at the very least.

Thanks again, Geti for the update!

FuzzyBlueBaron, Snake19 and Geti like this.