1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Weekly News - TR Run Progress and Art, KAG Modding

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I personally prefer the new color scheme, but I do think yagger's idea is pretty nifty. Is it even possible to do that?

2. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

I found it very strange you characterised the older style as "brighter" in any way and genuinely thought you had them mixed up, that's all.

Fellere825 likes this.
  3. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

You can reload sprites in Angelscript, so yeah.

4. In other news, I'll be finally doing steam achievements sometime soon

5. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

With what art? Existing ones or new? Just taking stuff from in-game or new art like Starbound for example?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also will they be added in standalone KAG as well? Like a menu thingy?

6. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Geti, last time you wrote something about Skinney working on editor tool in KAG.
    Is there any chance for more infos what exactly it will be?
    Something like the one in classic or more expanded thing?

7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Well I do like both images now, but what looked more impressive from TR to me was the art itself. I think Geti manages pixel art better with low-fi, as I once said, the less the better.. The new colours make me think the game will be way more complex than it is now, and I like that too.

AmestriStephen likes this.
  8. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

me like image more

9. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Yeah looking back I can see where that would be strange. Better adjectives would be punchier, contrastier, or something like that. Individual colors stuck out more in the old one.

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Fellere825 @Yagger
    It should be noted that the new art is in the "base palette", whereas the old art is in the "forest palette" - we'll still be doing biome specific colour remapping but we need base art to work off. The palette in particular has been expanded in the new art, which I guess might dull the "edges" a little, but gives a lot more room for things like shading and team colours. We can and will still have some darker and lighter maps, but there'll be less room for visual (mis)interpretation (like "why is this rock floating?", to quote a tester).

An "oldschool" mode with palettes that clip down the number of colours might be possible but things like team colours and new assets will mean that things aren't exactly the same - the higher spec art will require different framecounts on each animation, and the tiles are being reworked to include more decoration and more autotiling potential that wouldn't necessarily work with fewer colours (potentially just harming readability).

Re: "lo fi" vs "hi fi" - we're talking 8 vs 16 colours, its an extra bit per pixel but it's not exactly a state of the art colour space no matter how you spin it ;)

@RadioActive , Skinney would be the one to ask about that :)

8x likes this.
  11. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

PUNK123 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  12. Obione5256

Obione5256 Bison Rider

@Verrazano In regards to modding: Maybe add a known bug list with weather or not the bugs have been fixed and are just awaiting patch. Also, is there any more descriptive documentation of the built-in functions than the help files somewhere? Like a description of what the function does and returns, and what the arguments it takes?

13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There's http://doc.kag2d.com/ but it's not comprehensive - its a real bore to update :) most can be figured by trial and error or the name (eg i wonder what getTeamNum() does? pretty obvious) but some cant. For things you'd like prioritised, feel free to post. Some sort of general thread for that could be good.

Obione5256 likes this.
  14. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

The online docs have some stuff. Also if you visit the irc channel belagerung has some extra docs and can help you find functions. .find <function> look for functions with keywords .man <functionname> to get a description and list of arguments. With regards to known buglist there is such a thing in the Mods folder although it's fairly limited. I'll probably be making a post sometime soon asking for peoples requests and ideas etc. I will also probably work on more/better documentation soonish.

Obione5256, FuzzyBlueBaron and Noburu like this.
  15. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

One thing I don't understand... this is literally just a palette recolor. What could possibly take so long with making the palette lighter? Hell, taking the tileset image in gimp and sliding the Hue or lightness slider over a bit replicates the exact same effect in seconds.

16. Bint

Bint Haxor

The sprites are new, the palettes are irrelevant, this is just one of the new default palettes.

17. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Highlighted the relevant parts, Klok. He's basically had to re-do all the art and then some, not just tweaking colours. :wink:

18. Geti

Just to hammer bint's superior observation home, these aren't quite the same:
    [​IMG]
    As a bonus - the current iteration is on the left for kicks - if you look a little closer, you'll notice things like team colour on characters, different foliage tiles, and an overall doubling in colours from 8 to 16.

While bint has hit you right in the "maybe look closer before making posts like this", this is actually how the different, biome specific palettes are made, more or less; taking an image rendered with the default palette, including the colour remapping file, and doing global colour operations - with some per-colour tweaking after that. Here's the current iteration of the forest colours on the new art:
    [​IMG]

Take care :)

e: also partly ninja'd by fbb.

8x, Klokinator, SirDangalang and 2 others like this.
  19. Bint

Bint Haxor

Thankyou senpai.

Rayne and PUNK123 like this.
  20. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Glad you took into account my review of the graphics / colors of the game @Geti, and you decide to improve them! :)
    I prefer as far the left picture.

this ad about the modification of graphics, I so appreciated, that I decided to download the demo of the game.
    and how you say it...

I LOVED ! :heart:

This game have undoubtedly a great future! classes are so fun to play :)
    Some classes are a bit OP but others require a lot of skill and this what I seek! :)

I can already imagine the clans wars in 5 vs 5 or 4 vs 4 the teamwork we can be is Breathtaking. there are so many ways of team work with different classes (the engineer can protect his teammates with his blocks, for example)

I have one thing to say. I purchase!

Ah I have some question before, it is said that the multiplayer will be 32 players.
    It seems to me enormous, there will be large maps?
    Also I found the class "assaults" too OP compared to the class "sniper" ...
    the assault class kill has the same speed as the Sniper class. It's almost a one shot ... and yet it is very easy to play, limit "no brain"

what do you think ?