1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Weekly News - TR Art, Another Expo, and KAG UI

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Original: http://www.thd.vg/post/130581505290/weekly-news-tr-art-another-expo-and-kag-ui

Hey everyone, another busy couple of weeks both past and future!

Trench Run News:

Michal had a blast showing the game at Pixel Heaven! We won the “Best Multiplayer” Award and got to see lots of smiles and hear lots of laughter. Butcher was also shown, and was very popular with the more bloodthirsty fans!

[​IMG]

Last week the first pass of environment art and effects got finalised. I also got custom palettes for each biome under way. These palettes give each area a unique feel by changing the colours. The Trenches are a brown, dusty wasteland; the Desert is bright and hot; the Forest is green and full of wet vegetation. Each of the 7 biomes has its own unique palette and soundtrack!

[​IMG]
    A sneak-peek at some of the palettes so far.

This week I’m getting to work on animations for the classes. I’m starting with the assault, but hope to have all five classes fully animated by the end of the week.

[​IMG]
    Some of the new animations for the assault class.

The following week will be polishing up the art ready to show again! We’ll be showing Trench Run at Poznan Game Arena From 16-18th October. If you’re in the area go say hi to MM, see the new graphics in action, and collect some loot! We’ve got lovely little badges of each class just waiting to brighten your bag.

KAG News:

Verra and Norill worked together on the new menus, and features for a new scoreboard. The new scoreboard shows player “cards” including the user’s forum avatar and role - so it’s clear if they’re an admin or developer. The cards may also show cumulative kills/deaths for that server in the future.

[​IMG]

That’s all for this week, have fun!

Max

2. Grats on another marvelous job.

J-man2003 likes this.
  3. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

Those bioms :eek::thumbs_up::heart:

J-man2003, SirDangalang and GreyHCK like this.
  4. I was at Pixel Heaven too. Can confirm, it was a blast

Asu likes this.
  5. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Quality as always, keep it up guys :heart:

6. Loves the cards idea. The fact that it is tied to the forums is great as well so innapropro pictures can be taken care of.

7. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Hot damn, that's looking great. I'm really looking forward to it

Edit: The deserty biome looks somewhat too bright I think

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  8. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

the question of the new scoreboard is if it wont auto-scroll when the mouse is on the bottom of the screen

9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The scoreboard is an extension of what can currently be played in TDM.

bru-jaz likes this.
  10. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Ergo, it will still autoscroll?
    Most people dislike it, and in most programming languages it's not hard to change it from mouse position to scroll wheel.

11. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Those pictures of TR with trees and clouds as background remember me of Soldat' Trench Wars:

tw2.png tw1.png
    Are you guys keeping an eye on this mod for Soldat, for the art and levels?

12. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

13. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

The tdm scoreboard does not scroll.

bru-jaz likes this.
  14. Great job guys ::):

15. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

excuse the off-topic, but indeed, new trench run art style and that soldat map ::P: both are awesome! (i think ill download soldat again just to play that map ive never seen)

16. Geti

1. if we're being smart-arses this isn't a function of the programming language used, but what inputs you have available to query.
    2. As Verra's already pointed out, the current tdm scoreboard implementation doesn't scroll at all because it's much more space-efficient than then hardcoded one.

The mod was a partial gameplay inspiration early on but we've been kind of looking the other way from most things with respect to the art and level design. TR and Soldat play quite differently, so some structures that work nicely dont really translate (anything with gentle polygon slopes only works so well with tiles), but some things like that two-path pillbox section work quite well.
    So uh, I guess "kinda", though I'd say "keeping an eye on" gives us too much credit for paying attention.

FuzzyBlueBaron, Gofio and bru-jaz like this.
  17. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

time to get people fucking MAD with my smug as shit anime avatars after I lag knight them to death.

SirDangalang and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  18. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

ball sack avatars while tea bagging corpses anyone?

bru-jaz, Yagger and Solaris like this.
  19. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

*Looks closely at desert biom... Sees trees in the background...
    Idk if you're changing it, just pointing it out.

20. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Having pine trees in the background is a bit weird when you have oak trees in the foreground. I petition for ecological realism and that all trees must match up with correct biomes. You wouldn't see an oak growing up in a frigid mountain. You'd see pines or other pointy trees. Also the clouds seem kind of weird. Might be because it's the same clouds for different maps but... No clouds would be better then that.