1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

MCrifel's builder guide

Discussion in 'Builder' started by mcrifel, Oct 9, 2015.

?

Did this help you?

1. Yes thank you so much!

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. A little bit

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No this didn't help at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No this did't help but I am already an MLG pro and this is still a good guide

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

A builder is by far the most difficult class to master in KAG, but when you master it, you become almost unstoppable. This guide won't make you a good builder instantly but it might set you on the right path. Also this guide won't cover the basics, if you don't know how to place a block then this won't help you. Also this will be based around the CTF gamemode, if you wan't another tutorial for TTH then let me know, however many of the thing I will tell you also help in TTH.

Remember that being a good builder means you must be fast and have good reflexes.

So lets get started with the tutorial

General things
    Be on your guard at all times, zoom out and make sure that no one is coming to kill you. Also try to never waste any time. If you can't advance forward then gather materials and fortify structures, DON'T DO NOTHING.

Also a very important thing is to place wooden doors fast, don't allow the enemies to get anywhere and allow your team to get everywhere. Make sure to block enemy doors and ladder over enemy structures. Make way for your fellow knights.

A very handy thing to build a quick 1 thick wooden wall/bridge to get over obstacles and let your knights get over walls, as well as having the ability to rain kegs.
    Map control
    One of the most important things to winning the game is having map control, map control means that you have control of most of the map. This is mostly done by capturing the middle of the map. A captured mid would look something like this:
    2015-10-09_00002.jpg
    This will make it a lot harder for the enemies to get to your side of the base, the ballista at the top can be used to spawn at or attack the enemy base, the tunnel allows for quick transportation between the base and mid. Because of the ballista and the tunnel your team mates can always be here quickly to defend mid.

Most maps have a mid that allows for easy fortification.

Another way of gaining land is to make small towers that stop enemy knights from advancing except if they have a bomb or keg with them, you could you this to get map control in maps that don't have a mid like this.
    Defending your base
    Defending your home base is very important. You need to make sure the flag is well defended. A couple things to take note of while building your base:

- Don't make traps, they might be fun but are very useless
    -Protect your shops, and only one of each, A lot of times i see people putting knights shops out in the open, however if you do that then a random enemy who bomb jumped, grappled, laddered into your base can use that shop to buy kegs to destroy your flag room or other shops. Just put them somewhere safe so that the enemies can't use them.
    -Make it so hard as possible for enemies to move around in your base, if it happens that an enemy gets into your base, make sure that he can't do or get anywhere, do this by placing doors every.
    -try to preserve resources, don't waste resources on pointless things, spend them wisely. For example instead of making a flag/wall design of 3 layers of stone, use 2 layers of stone and 1 layer of platforms. Like this:
    :castle_wall::bridge::castle_wall:

Just make sure the platforms are facing right instead of up and that they have stone back walling behind them.
    This is just as strong as just 3 stone layers but preserves some stone, you probably have tons of wood and not as much stone so this can help a lot.

Also add as final layer that is facing the enemy a layer of platforms that face towards your flag, this heavily resists bomb arrows
    Battle builder
    Even though builder is a support class, some of you builder might be blood thirsty like I am sometimes, the battle builder tries to use everything to his advantage to kill the opponent. In a builders arsenal you will find a lot of tools, for example:

- The drill
    - Burgers
    - Mines
    - Spikes
    - Falling blocks
    - Boulders
    - Saw's

When playing the battle builder do note that you are the slowest of all classes and are easily killed. Don't try to run out in the open. Try to dig yourself in when its unsafe, travel with knights and help them get over towers.

A lot of the time people won't think of you as such a harm, you can then surprise them with a sudden drill to the face. Also spikes are very useful when defending or in the other teams base, if you are out of stone to throw spikes you can always let some wood blocks fall.

Saw's are very useful and it surprises me that I never see them used offensively, They block projectiles if you release the saw when a projectile is about to hit you, also you can use them (with some practice) to kill knights fairly easily, because knights even though they try to avoid your saw they will still jump a little and then you can strike.

Mines and burgers aren't really things meant for builders but they are surprisingly very useful for them.

I could go on for days about battle building and I might make a separate thread for this once but it will end here for now.
    Ratting
    Everyone will now hate me for including this into the guide, but who cares amiright

Ratting is basically digging yourself into the enemies base and letting the base rot from the inside out.
    This includes replacing the enemies blocks with wooden doors, placing tunnels, making a knight shop and suicide kegging if the enemy is about to get to you.

Sometimes you might get in a situation that you are trapped in the flag room with the flag but surrounded by enemies on the outside and their is no way out. If this happens then destroy as much blocks on the inside so it will be easier for the team next time.

This guide is far from done, all sections need things to be added and there will come more new sections. Also there will come more pictures.

I am just too lazy to do this in one sitting ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Your guide is not bad inferno. I will add others good things to know later ;)
    but not a lot ! after it's AG tactics haha :p

3. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

There is definitely stuff that I won't be sharing either ;) glad you liked it

4. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Just alittle issue with your platform part. If a bomb arrow spam does happen that will only really be 2 layers. The backward platforms infront will not be resilient to bomb arrows in anyway if the archer spamming your crap has aim. It will take 2 bomb arrows to knock out the platform front layer and the stone layer behind(same as 2 layers of stone).