1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Cube World

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Fate, Jan 14, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I mean, it's not like there haven't been similar concepts already brought to light.

An example is Trove, it's a shitty game overall and the publisher are fucking disgustingly terrible. Nexon America bad, but at least they have something.

The idea for Cube World will always be a good one, but it's not limited to him making it as everything about it is basically "Minecraft with a heavier focus on Adventure", which isn't by any means going to run into any copyright problems as long as your art is slightly different, consider the art is basically a cross between Minecraft and 3D Dot Heroes in the first place, it's not original. Change the art style slightly, actually work on it, develop it a bit (most of it, like Minecraft is just procedurally generated), I imagine someone could (before Wollay completes it) probably make a 'rip-off' completed in that time.

link6155 and Fate like this.
  2. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

HE TWEETS ONCE AGAIN

BlueLuigi likes this.
  3. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

Considering these screenshots he's giving us, I recommend bursting with joy. I believe I've read that the reason he stopped giving updates on progress was because he didn't want people to get ahead of themselves. Now that he's giving us something again, perhaps an update is in the near future.

4. BlueLuigi

Hopefully, but two years better be a helluva update if he 'was waiting', which I find very hard to believe, probably his attempt at some shitty PR considering a year ago from now he stated he was releasing something very soon, and now a year later he's saying it again, this time yes with some stuff to show content is being done, but that's a lot of potential updates that would have been done in 2 years he'd be rolling out into 1/a few within a short time.

5. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

Technically, people could just be getting way overhyped, seeing as he hasn't even said he's releasing anything yet, as far as I know. As for me, a large portion of Cube World's fan base, myself included, just love the game way too much to give up on Wollay after this long. After following the game's development for years, I have, perhaps quite foolishly, begun to think of Wollay as a friendly sort of honest person.

I wrote more, but I deleted it. I feel my point can be more concisely expressed this way: I see something in Wollay that convinces me he is a honest person with a dream I empathize with that he will pursue to the end, and that dream is a game I see as compelling and epic.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  6. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

You could just say "I like the game. I trust Wollay." Haters don't care about your exact motives and those who agree already know them.

Sytoplasma likes this.
  7. BlueLuigi

Well, he did said he'd release something, a year ago, after saying he was working on a fix/more content, a year before that. Yeah, he hasn't said anything this year, or 'very recently', but I think the previous 2 years of promises still count :P

Noburu likes this.
  8. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

Called it.

[​IMG]
    #gamehasmechs

Wollay, you little... xP

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    BlueLuigi likes this.
  9. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Such a blatant copy of Cube World. Might try it, only cost $5.99 so I won't regret it too much if I hate it.

J-man2003 likes this.
  10. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Similar? Lel they copypasted it
    Just look at the villages. Look at them.
    Not to mention the fact that the dodge is now not a roll, but a twirl, and yet essentially the same, and that the warrior's smash, the flame and water magic, and the enemies are all literally cube world's.
    Definately gonna play this though.

J-man2003 and Dargona1018 like this.
  11. BlueLuigi

The problem is what you guys are considering stolen, do you know why Minecraft has the look it has and why so many other games that copy it look so 'similar', it's because there isn't a real artstyle for these games that stands out, they're literally using what would normally be considered coder art, similar to Minecraft. Those styles for the houses as far as they're made out of blocks/etc? Cube World is not the first to do that. They won't be the last. I'm sure people will also call 'Imagine Nations' a clone of sorts despite being totally different, because again they share that similar art style that's not really an art style, it's basically just As simple as possible, it's not something anyone owns, that's why when it's copied no one cares, because it's not something they went out of their way to do, it's just what's left there as the start, it's aesthetically pleasing enough that no one cares though.

3D games like this aren't like sprite art where the people doing it have a huge background at the time it started so the diversity was shown, and can make the tools to then help their artists (probably the main problem here is that people assume they have them, which is where this all started with Minecraft's style). The few games to do blocky and be very different were usually larger studios/console games like 3D Dot Heroes, which you could arguably say that Cube World based most of their shading practices off, obviously not stealing the actual dot format, but I imagine that would be too much for him anyway, and go against his original idea which was to make a Minecraft-styled adventure game.

I really don't get how you can sit there and say they actually stole something from someone who admittedly was basing everything he did off of two other games.

Oh and if you didn't look into it, Wobbly Tooth game has a history of these types of games that pre-dates Cube World. Unfortunately finding out the actual name of the Wobbly Tooth developer (which is a one man studio) isn't so easy, so I stopped bothering after a while because buying a game for the credits screen is gay.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    J-man2003, Hella and blackjoker77777 like this.
  12. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

I agree that it's hard to do a different artstyle in a minimalist 3D game, but the fact that so many of its mechanics are similar to Cube World's is a bit cheap.
    Just check some of its trailers, the one you just saw only shows the tip of the copy-pasted iceberg.
    And as I already said, I'm still going to play it. A copy, whether it really is one or not, can still be a great game.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 17, 2015, Original Post Date: Oct 17, 2015 ---
    Choosing choices is a problem we all have to deal with.

13. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

What's wrong with copying Cube World? I would love to see a finished Cube World, but Wollay is never going to finish it, so someone else must.

daskew87, J-man2003 and bunnie like this.
  14. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

There's a difference between Voxel-based games and Voxel-based games that use the exact proportions and style of Cube World. I would bet money on the character model being the exact same height.
    That isn't just using voxels. That's ripping another game off.

15. BlueLuigi

If you make a snake game and it has 1x1 pixels are you copying every other snake game because it's a minimal game?
    What if they're 10x10? The color scheme is similar?

When your actual options are low, that's what you run into. Look at Trove, it's slightly off, it's obvious it doesn't look as good, but it's their way of ensuring some degree of looking good.

Cube World didn't invent that look, those proportions, or anything about it.

CUBEWORLD:
    [​IMG]

MAGIC HAMMER:
    [​IMG]

CUBE WORLD:
    [​IMG]

MAGIC HAMMER:

[​IMG]

It's very hard to find a good quality zoom of The Magic Hammer because it's a 3DS game, however just from this you can see a few things.
    1)The style is not the same short of them being voxels. The animals to some extent are due to the size of the voxels, these size choices similar to their shading is probably more to do with the limitations of the 3DS than anything else.
    'Chibi' sizes are popular in all of these games, for reference that same company makes other games that have 'full size' characters and some that are also chibi.

Cube World has craftable 'gear', so that can change in looks a lot, this character is not that similar to CW characters.

They are clearly not made from the same amount of voxels.

Even if their style is 'similar' between those two characters, they are both 'copying' Chibi anime style, not each other.

No one ever called Cube World original, keep that in mind, it was never a selling point. All he did was took an idea that was floating around the MC community for years and made a prototype of it (and he wasn't the first!).

Hella likes this.
  16. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

The makers of Trove actually admitted that they were inspired by Cube World but thought they could do much better.

17. BlueLuigi

Just one of many places that inspired them, doesn't mean they copied either (which it's obvious... they didn't), it was a common idea years before Cube World first started, and when Cube World was being tossed around as an idea it wasn't the only one.

Hella likes this.
  18. Nicuwins

Nicuwins Bison Rider

if anybody is still intrested in this game: The Devs are still working on it, Wollay uplaoded a a pic on Twitter which shows a new World Map Concept.

Biurza likes this.
  19. Clev

Clev Resident Stoner Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Thats a shock

20. Nicuwins

Nicuwins Bison Rider

i know. I got nearly a hear attack when i saw it.

Mods: BlueLuigi