1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Weekly News – KAG Update for Halloween

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Oct 30, 2015.

1. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

verra pls fix kag

Knight play has a flow to it and mines are such a disruption to combat now

2. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Yea I do what Potatobird says. I have 9 bounded to the blank emote, so I can do advanced communication via emote-cancelling. Specifically, you need to go to KAG\Base\Entities\Common\Emotes\EmoteBinding.cfg and change the values according to the chart in Base\Entities\Common\Emotes\Emoticons.png

I attached my emote bindings as an example. My emotes are:
    1 = !!!
    2 = ::):
    3 = :QQ:
    4 = 78787878[The >:( one]
    5 = ::P:
    6 = :huh?:
    7 = :thumbs_up:
    8 = :heart:
    9 = :blank:

Attached Files:

Kazaco97 likes this.
  3. L3fty

L3fty Bison Rider Staff Alumni

Inserting troll message
    Builder play has a flow to it and kegs are such a disruption to building, so are ballistas, double bomb jumps, and bomb arrows, plz nerf.

J-man2003 and bru-jaz like this.
  4. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Another thing that's kind of frustrating with mines is how the ground gets kind of visually noisy in battles, what with all the chunks and rubble bouncing around, and mines can get lost in the mess sometimes. Not sure what's to be done about that, but I think in most situations it should be clear where the mines are.

5. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Sadly, i agree with you. I think before the update, i always tought of making the opossite suggestion. Given that the mines could be shielded if they're spotted i was going to ask if the useless bushes could be pickable and placed in a layer above the mines.
    However, since the mine change (wich i really welcome it) i think this fix would be the easiest one to do:
    But what about sharing the damage depending how many players are within the mine's range? So if one player vs mine gets killed (inf heart damage), two would be mortaly-wounded (leaving them with half heart), three would leave them with 50% and so on.
    This way, mines would be nerfed and it will improve the teamwork at the same time.

CowboyDan likes this.
  6. Potatobird

Although that might work, you have to keep in mind whether something is intuitive. Most people who play KAG probably don't read the patch notes or understand everything about the game, and asking a bunch of pubbies to help you belly flop on a mine isn't gonna go well, it just doesn't make sense. It also isn't the kind of thing that can be easily learned by observation of others.

Simple, clear, and intuitive changes should be preferred - and it seems to me that if you touch a mine and witness yourself visually getting stunned, grunting, and then blowing up then you'll basically get the gist of what happened.

Besides, there are already more intuitive teamwork-based ways of taking care of mines, like with arrows.

Obione5256 likes this.
  7. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

Right, like when yesterday I see @GrieverJ standing at least 4-5 blocks away from one shielding towards it, unable to advance because reasons, and one of his trusty pubby archer mates shoots it blowing him to bits.

I had an instance yesterday where I threw one up in the middle of a field, and literally brought 7-8 people on the enemy team to screeching halt. They all saw it, and all stopped and waited, but just as the builder jumped forward a bit, boom, arrow 3 kills for tooth.

Mines are stupid now, people died enough to them PRE BUFF.
    95% of people hate this mine business. Not everyone goes on forums. It's been tried and tested long enough, fix pls.
    Verra I will post my buttocks if need be.

PUNK123, mehwaffle10 and Blue_Tiger like this.
  8. Potatobird

Hence the suggestion to make mines only kill through shield on direct contact. Pretty much everyone is in agreement that other people getting you killed when you have your shield up is bad.

kittycity and CowboyDan like this.
  9. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

MM has fired Geti and became the lead artist on Trench Run.
    MM the artist.png
    Picture of MM working on Trench Run art. He grew his hair out.

Gurin, J-man2003, GreyHCK and 10 others like this.
  10. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Happy little gibs

FuzzyBlueBaron and bru-jaz like this.
  11. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

I love the way MM is utilizing van dyke brown for parts of the soil.

J-man2003 likes this.
  12. mehwaffle10

mehwaffle10 Haxor Mapping Moderator Official Server Admin

Alright I have to go out and declare how much I hate almost every aspect of the update

Let's start with mines. The capability of one spammed mine to halt an entire team (i.e. Tooth's examples) and completely deny an area is frankly idiotic in nature. It basically allows 60 coins to freeze combat and progress, and knights have no counter to it ;_; Mines were potent enough and perfectly fine if used correctly, super effective as breaching charges or as tower defense, but the update drops the skill bar to your feet and takes a lot of the fun out of the game. Personally I'd rather get watered constantly (which I do and actually quite enjoy the challenge of avoiding it) than deal with these instagibs

Arrow collision was a huge feature I utilized readily and allows me to play the only style of archer I find respectable, which is active, mobile, and in the open. Without the ability to skillfully quarter shot in front of you (which I have gotten quite good at) basically says "hey what the hell are you doing out of the base, die". Encouragement of camping archers and arrow spam doesn't sound like fun for anyone -_-

I still don't get why people can't get over trampoline cannons. They were powerful, easily capable of changing the course of game, usually for the better. This however, came at a cost. They are one of the most "glass cannon"iest strategy in kag. They're expensive (costing about 1k wood for a good tramp), fragile (any enemy who gets near them is easily capable of neutralizing it, not to mention bomb, bomb arrow, or ballista spam), and require teamwork to uphold( maintaining the tower upon which the cannon is perched, protection from the enemy, keeping up a wood farm, upkeep of the wall and tramps, etc).

In no way were they too overpowered. There was never a situation in which I couldn't cope with an enemy cannon. I main knight, and there wasn't a single situation in which I couldn't reach a tramp cannon and neutralize it. Almost every time I will be able to singlehandedly break the tramp. Often enough I can just level the tower its on and boom, two problems solved. Destroy the enemy wood farm and maybe their shops and there was no way they would be getting a tramp up in the next 5 or 10 min, given the pressure I was putting on them, opening a huge window for our team to push. The new additions hardly compensate for the total functionality of tramps.

The new scoreboard is ugly and unneeded. It's bulky and incomplete, lacking k/d (which is amusing) and player count (which is required for functionality). I also dislike the new forum skin but atleast I can set it back to default for my account -_-
    Gregs are annoying and completely interrupt the flow of battle, and I have more complaints about them but they're only temporary so I'll skip them for now O_O

I'm a huge real-time strategy fan, and one of the funnest parts for me is experimenting with different strategies to achieve victory. By virtually killing tramps, yet another path to victory is removed, edging kag towards the monotone, defined gameplay strategies which makes the game less interesting.
    Overall I think this update lowered the skill bar and makes the game worse. The lack of chaos and hectic play instilled by tramps, arrow collision and the like reduce the value of the game. Half the reason I play kag is because it's so crazy, so it's easy to see why I'm upset. IMO, and as many others see it, kag is a bleeding game, but I don't see the point of executing it on the spot ;_;
    My ideal situation is a complete revert to prior the update, but I know that isn't going to happen and would at least like some compromise

p.s. IMO only good parts about the update were the supposed bug fixes and coons new head -_-
    p.p.s. Sorry for writing a massive essay but I felt it was needed because of the magnitude of my displeasure

13. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I think all of you are forgetting you can totally defuse mines (make them not explode) by jabbing or pickaxing them

14. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

mfw only mods get to insult someone and get away with it. Ill stop complaining about the mines for the moment and patiently wait for fixes(hopefully making kag less cancer pls)

Darknighte9 and Fuzzle like this.
  15. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

1) mines are still yuck.
    1+) no talk of re-adding arrow projectile collision or mention of it really is sad. another skill for archers (in other words "no skill mechanic" for others) removed. knights are now the only ones able to remove ballista rounds mid-air.

2) fizzle is bringing his a-game with his tsundere girl role playing

PUNK123 and Fuzzle like this.
  16. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Before the update, learning that you die from shielding a mine from a certain height wasn't that intuitive... to give an example.
    Anyway, I knew my idea woulnt be take into consideration.

About the update itself, I quite agree with mehwaffle10 about everything he said, but i think the change that allows you to steal mines before deploying is awesome,

Changing the subject, I think kag still needs a real tutorial (preferably obligatory)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    toothgrinderx likes this.
  17. mehwaffle10

mehwaffle10 Haxor Mapping Moderator Official Server Admin

yeah stealing mines is really nice (actually something i forgot to mention ;3), but is completely rolled over by the no shielding imo
    the increase in blast radius and block dmg couldve easily been balanced by the chance to catch the mine if the mines were also shieldable, but they kinda went overkill and created a great spam tool O_O

as a side note, i feel that tramps need to be more durable if they want to survive the combat that the interns want to throw them into, making them a heavy item (like a keg) but tougher would be better balanced

18. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

This is an example of a good post that is criticizing the update, while being constructive and not flaming. Some people should take note.

I agree with a few of your points, especially regarding the removal of arrow collisions. It seems to be overshadowed by the bigger changes. And mines are ez, yep.

But I noticed something in your post--there's a similar trend in a lot of other post-update complaints.
    How is it that removing tramp cannons reduces the "chaos and hectic play," yet giving players the ability to bounce around their teammates while moving around doesn't register as "hectic play" at all?

I could also argue that trampoline cannons were allowing players to skip a lot of the craziness of a battlefield, by just flying straight to the enemy base. (BTW, it sounds like your counter to tramp cannons is "be me or as good as me," which isn't taking into account most of the playerbase lol)

You know what else increases chaos? Gregs. But no, they're just annoying. It seems that your points are lacking consistency.

I'm not dismissing your whole post, by any means. Your displeasure with the update is clearly real. I'm just presenting an opening for you to dig deeper into the reasons why you'e displeased.

Now for my own opinions: The only point where I outright disagree with you is on trampolines. The update has clearly opened up new avenues for you to explore, but you haven't even mentioned them. The most interesting applications of trampolines are still available! For example, Fellere's projectile launching contraptions still work. (We tested during a captains match.) I've played in a round where half the team rushed with trampolines, and we managed to overwhelm the enemy, bounce each other over their walls, grab their flag, and bounce each other back.

19. RampageX

RampageX Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

Remove water bombs pls. It would be the best patch in the history of KAG.

J-man2003 likes this.
  20. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

But not water arrows? Or are you encompassing both those things when you say water bombs?

No, don't answer that, it was retorical. Water ammo (regardless of type) is off-topic for this thread. Facinating as it might be, let's not go there.

Repeat: do NOT make this into an off-topic debate about water bombs, people! There are other times/places for said discussion. Further water related posts in this thread will be deleted, etc., etc..