1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

#auspol

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FuzzyBlueBaron, Mar 10, 2015.

?

auspol?

1. auspol

9.1%
  2. very auspol

3.0%
  3. wow auspol

3.0%
  4. many auspol

6.1%
  5. such auspol

21.2%
  6. lol auspol

48.5%
  7. auspol auspol

9.1%
Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

2. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Honestly the PM is a puppet. He can't do anything the party doesn't approve of, otherwise risks being kicked out. Think it was part of the agreement to get him in the position.

3. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Sadly, while that dynamic isn't anything new to auspol (the rules haven't really changed for PM <--> party relations since federation) the flimsy/precarious nature of PM-ship seems to have been dialled up a lot more in the past 10 years. ::(:

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

6. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I dislike Donald Trump because he's racially discriminative, on topic?

All I hear about from Australia is your president is apparently Amish or something and he wants people to live without Internet. And that your parliament apparently finds it reasonable to silence freedom of speech in art forms. Just immigrate to America or Canada idk.

7. FuzzyBlueBaron

8. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I could understand this law of vaccines were free or very cheap; but they aren't... I do like the idea of laws to passive aggressively promoting to get your children vaccinated, since things like the infamous Measles outbreak at Disneyland/world here in the US have happened; and it's mainly due to people not getting vaccines because if their beliefs, and harming those that can't get the vaccine because they become carriers... While I support freedom of beliefs, this certain case is a belief that directly harms others. It's no different than having a belief in which you murder people, obviously that's outlawed, so why isn't this...

9. FuzzyBlueBaron

Oh, I certainly agree that it's a prickly belief to hold; but the current legislation is a terrible way to go about enforcing immunisation. It really only targets poor people 'cos the rich are all "oh, I don't get paid a few hundred dollars a fortnight? lol, yolo, w/e". ::(:

PUNK123 and J-man2003 like this.
  10. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Exactly what I think, it'd be a different story if the vaccinations were free...

11. Most of them are. Well, rebateable at least. You pay, government pays you back. It's interesting to think though; people are going "what a wonderful thing Turnbull's doing with the welfare access thing for non-immunisers" when they lambasted Tony Abbott for the same thing.

Not to mention the grand majority of antivaxxers are rich inner city, often either ill-educated or educated but into "mysticism".

EhRa, J-man2003 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  12. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

As Sam Houston once said: "The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government."

In other words, education is key to a country's success...

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

True. But a point to keep in mind is that he's speaking about a very different kind of education to the kind we have in AU (or US, for that matter) today.

The bulk of "education" carried out in Houston's time had very little government oversight and--so long as the kids could do basic read/'rite/'rithmetic--there was little government-backed BS about "moulding a national character". Today there is heavy government & lobby-group influence in "education" with an increasing emphasis on schools producing graduates who're 'stable' and happily (often, unthinkingly) in support of the status quo.

tl;dr
    "Education" in our day/age isn't really comparable to that of Houston's era. Moreover, in terms of promotion/preservation of "free government" it may actually be quantifiably worse. ::(:

14. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

The point still stands that Houston is still right about the simple fact that, if a country isn't educated, education meaning usually of basic common sense and knowledge, that the country will fall apart.

Look at terrorists, they come from third world countries that lack in a good educational system. Why do you think the Taliban tries to outlaw schools? Because if the people there are educated, they may be less willing to sign up for an extremist group with a closed-mind.

15. FuzzyBlueBaron

Apologies in advance for dropping a bach. of education on you, J-man, but the actual reason the Taliban are against Western-style schools (NB: they don't actually seem to mind the traditional modes of education practised by Afghanis; why this is so should become apparent by the end of this post) is the same reason that I'm against government-controlled (or even influenced) schooling (aka what we've got in most of Au and the US): because education isn't about knowledge or common sense. It's about culture.

In pedagogical philosophy (i.e. the theory of teaching) there are two distinct processes that are occurring in a classroom:
    1. schooling;
    2. education.
    Schooling is what you're referring to when you say "basic common sense and knowledge"; it's a process wherein children learn about the world around them and develop the skills necessary to effectively interact with it. Education, otoh, is a process where children learn about the people around them (e.g. their nation, ethnic group, social & economic class, etc.) and how to integrate with them (i.e. think/act/be like them). I know this distinction might seem pedantic or overly technical at first glance, but please believe me when I say that it's actually a pretty vital understanding to the theory of teaching (and education as a whole).

The problem with governments influencing or controlling education is that it allows those in power to train everyone else (who're supposed to keeping those in power accountable) to see things their way--which is a road to much major badness and, imho, is probably a contributing factor in some of the major screwups in the national and global scenes this past hundred years or more. Similarly (just to return to your comment on the Taliban), if the Taliban allow Western-style schools to do their thing in Afghanistan then they're actually allowing the West to train their children to think not like the Taliban (not even like Afghanis!), but like Westerners. Which is a massive attack on Afghani culture, even if you disagree with/removed the Taliban element.

tl;dr
    shiz b brok m8. And by "shiz", I mean how we allow the gov to play a role in the raising of kids. ::(:
    ----

In other news:

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-celebrating-cruelty-obfuscation-and-neglect

(Although, tbh, the reason we allow the atrocities that have given rise to this comic probably has something to do with government meddling w/ the AU education system. :V)

blackjoker77777 and J-man2003 like this.
  16. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

education bach dropped

What I originally said agrees with your statement, I just didn't know the exact definitions of schooling and education. The Taliban of course raid schools to prevent the opinions that are not in their favor from spreading, but they may not realize that they are also widening the knowledge gap in the country. Why do you think children are more susceptible to kidnapping? Because they are younger and as thus have a smaller understanding of the universe in which they reside. School should be an obvious source for children (or anyone with a child-like understanding of the world) to get a larger grasp on the understandings of their universe, and with higher understandings of such, their susceptibility to being fooled by others (in this case, the Taliban) is smaller. But, if they do not get the understandings handed to them in school, they will mature way slower, and are more susceptible to being fooled by someone. (or something who knows :^_) )

Luckily here in 'merica we have some rules that try to prevent bias in opinions from spreading into the minds of children. For example, there are rules against authorities at the school stating their political or religious opinions, and generally any opinion is supported and not looked down upon.

Though that doesn't stop atrocities from happening: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-telling-classmates-he-didnt-believe-in-god/

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/05/05/teacher-tells-student-cant-read-bible-in-my-classroom.html

The second one may be bias, (and by "bias" I mean the writers of the news story changed the truth a little bit in their favor) since it's Fox News...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  17. FuzzyBlueBaron

But even without bias coming directly from the teachers themselves things are pretty much problematic to an insane degree. Don't have time to get into it now (late for work, argh) but basically when a government can freely meddle with the curriculum of a school (to name one of several avenues for manipulation), like they can in AU, UK, US (those are the ones I'm certain of, 'though I'm sure it's true in other counties as well) then you're basically asking for your government to become more corrupt and/or totalitarian. Would expand further; but am late, as mentioned above. o/

J-man2003 likes this.
  18. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I agree with you on many levels, but who would oversee the school system? Maybe have a grand school system, almost like another branch of government, while staying separate from the rule of politicians? Of course that's a huge change; and would require years to perfect as shown the progression of most governments. Though I do like the idea.

19. There's a lot of things that the education system here could do with, for sure. Funding is a big one, and not just given to private schools who are already running a profit.

J-man2003 likes this.
  20. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi