1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting news/articles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AmestriStephen, Feb 24, 2016.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

I decided to make this thread to share news/articles/video documentaries about things that may interest some of us.

It can be a youtube video, an interesting article (UNILAD/VICE/etc..) BUT it has to be on topic.

Just like the TLD thread, here you can share and discuss about cool things you find online!

[​IMG]

2. AmestriStephen

This article made me think about doing this thread; it is about the most terrifying species that you can find in Australia.
    I love reading this kind of stuff and the animal world sometimes surprises me.

3. enderzilla747

enderzilla747 Bison Rider Tester

Nice find!
    I'm working on another Sprite, the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. This time I will *actually* post it in the CORRECT SECTION.

Bruno-Brazuka likes this.
  4. AmestriStephen

Err... The thread was more about world wide news, not personal life news..
    No worries tho::):
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016, Original Post Date: Feb 24, 2016 ---

Short documentary about the usage of electricity in order to change food's taste (using a simple fork!).
    I found this extremely interesting: in the future this could really help people with food-related problems!

5. The followup page has some cool stuff too.

Also, as someone living in australia (albiet in town), I can attest to the scaryness of redbacks underneath toilet seats.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016, Original Post Date: Feb 24, 2016 ---
    The thing that really disturbs Australians though, is American gun laws.

norill and BlueLuigi like this.
  6. AmestriStephen

VICE documentary about the yakuza organization..

7. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

8. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

Magmus, AmestriStephen and BlueLuigi like this.
  9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

@Noburu
    Now you can finally share those crazy shits with more than just the conversations.

If you like Big Think also check out RSAnimate
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G11t6XAIce0

They do similar videos but these are ones that also have fun but sound animations created for them, you can buy most of the animations completed as posters as well IIRC.

10. AmestriStephen

11. SirDangalang

I love these condensed videos and the speakers so much sometimes I watch the full lectures ::):
    My favourites are "The Divided Brain" by Iain McGilchrist and "First as Tragedy Then as Farce" by Slavoj Zizek:heart:

AmestriStephen likes this.
  12. AmestriStephen

butterscotch likes this.
  13. SirDangalang

This short talk about connecting with others really is a good one to watch ::):

AmestriStephen likes this.
  14. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Several recent articles I have found illustrating advancements in various fields of science:

New state of hydrogen - Researchers believe that they have found the precursor to 'metallic hydrogen'. A diamond anvil device is used to apply large amounts of pressure onto a hydrogen molecule.

100% Efficient water splitting half-reaction(reduction) - Photocatalysts have been able to completely separate water molecules into their hydrogen and oxygen components under visible light illumination.

Molecular mechanism could treat Alzheimer's - Scientists have identified a new molecular mechanism that contributes to synapse loss, a symptom of Alzheimer's. This discovery could possibly lead to earlier diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease.

15. AmestriStephen

Finally more posts!
    Interesting article, now I have more sources :>

16. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Mods: BlueLuigi