1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Trench Run Weekly News - Trench Run Pets and Drinking and KAG Achievements Dev

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hey Everyone!

Been a while since it's been "just a plain old news week". Quite a bit has gone on both in KAG and Trench Run, so lets get down to it!

Trench Run:

This week we focussed on getting a bit more out of the pet system, with each pet having a toy that it likes to play with. These items are consumable/temporary like basketballs but let you interact in a unique way with each pet, which increases the tamagotchi factor a little. We're unwilling to make the pets "need" food and attention at this point as that'd make people sad, but the option is there for those that want a little bit more to do in the lobby. The dog's frisbee is my favourite!

The croc also finally has animation frames, so there's that.

[​IMG]
    Not your average entourage

There was also work on commando functionality, and work on the drunk shader effect.

[​IMG]
    Drink distortion is a little less predictable, and affects the whole screen!

We're looking at getting the game onto steam more or less "ASAP" - there's not too much more that we want to do with it other than content, and steam will let us get a better idea of a realistic audience to cater to, by bringing more people for you guys to play with and getting the game into the hands of people who don't follow THD as closely.

More costumes are also underway, more word about them next week!

As always you can buy Trench Run here: https://trenchrun.thd.vg/ - every purchase supports our work, and the more people you tell, the more people there are to play with!

KAG:

Norill and Skinney have both been working tirelessly on Steam Achievements implementation. Norill has been writing the code for each achievement and Skinney has been drawing the images needed for the little pop-ups.

Here is a selection of the icons:

[​IMG]
    In total there will be 64 hand-pixelled icons for 64 interesting achivements to unlock!

We hope the completionists out there will have fun collecting them all!

Have Fun!

Max & MichaƂ

2. Achievement Hype! Top props to Skinny and Norill, adds an awesome (and much needed) layer of completion to the game.

3. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

here's to next update having a pixelated version of Getis and MMs face on trading cards.

FunATuns, enderzilla747 and Joiken like this.
  4. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

I know this isnt the place to ask for, but what happened to that single-player Skinney was trying to develop a year ago (with the corresponding mechanics that at the moment are relegated to sandbox exclusively)?
    Probably there is some old announcement id missed

5. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Still planned as far as I know, same for the editor. Skinney has been busy IRL, which is why not a lot of progress was made

bru-jaz likes this.
  6. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

My body is so darn diggidgy doodley ready for steam release TR and fuller servers ::):

Also I doubt the plant pets getting toys but George the fern would really appreciate a watering can :wink::heart:

7. Achillios

Achillios Pilgrim
    1. Gather Oceania

Finally we have some more news on the kag steam achievements :)

8. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

What do you think we are? Children? We're too old for tamagotchi pets! okay we all know that is a lie

Just don't make them poop as much as a tamagotchi.
    >logs into TR
    >lobby filled with cat feces and cactus spines
    >spam K to clean poop

Noburu, FuzzyBlueBaron and Geti like this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Pooping pets sounds awful. Don't worry, I wouldn't trust you guys to look after anything. I doubt you even walk that crocodile every day, let alone cleaning up its poop and making sure it's got enough water and wine team members to chew on.

For now it'll be just small fun things - if there's more interest than we're expecting after steam release, we'll consider continuing to flesh it out.

Trading cards will come a bit later IIRC - they're bigger images to create and require us to make emoticon packs or something.

blackjoker77777 and Noburu like this.
  10. Bint

Bint Haxor

Wait, trading cards as in collectibles, not playing cards? : o

edit: derp, forgot they were a steam thing.

11. Geti

Got a whole new set of 14 maps done today and yesterday. Hoping to pad the content out past 50 maps before release time, currently sitting at 42. A few more over/under type maps, and a couple more complex paths.

The skirmish maps, for the interested:
    [​IMG]

Noburu, Joiken, bru-jaz and 2 others like this.
  12. Woooot.

13. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

what happened to the map generator you were working on?

14. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Nice stuff. Keep it up!

PS: The mine bug in kag is getting really annoying. Are you waiting to accumulate tweaks to make a more substantial update?

PS2 (really offtopic): Isn't time already to remove this topic (https://forum.thd.vg/threads/in-game-moderators-aka-royal-guard-updated-june-3rd-2014.1128/) from the sticky announcements? I mean, hell, it talks about kag classic's guards, it's locked and many people in the list even left the game a while ago...

Darknighte9 likes this.
  15. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

They might originate form Classic, but they are still guards and have guard powers. It might be a bit redundant, but it's still relevant and should remain somewhere visible

16. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

then it would be prudent to update it with the new official servers admins as @toothgrinderx and @Lefty and some others are not longer admins (as @Verrazano ... i recall playing with him yesterday and he has a standard client)

17. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

I didn't play yesterday, or this week.

18. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Then i must be confused with someone with a nickname very very similar (as verra+something) or someone is using your nickname.
    I will try to find the guy this night. If i'm wrong excuse the misunderstanding.
    (But are you still official admin?)

19. Mazey

He's not an official admin, he's a guard.

20. Geti

Please take the OKSA/Guard discussion to PM or its own thread. @Furai is probably the one to get in touch with about that stuff if you want to bug someone directly.

Re: map generator - there are generated areas, not whole generated maps. While I'd like to do generated maps, its out of scope for TR at this point. Would need a custom generator per gamemode per biome, and that simply isn't going to happen. The big squares underground you can see there are progen tunnels.

I've been kind of underwhelmed by how much they add to the game (ie not much) so I'm not looking to add more random stuff at this time. The only benefit is changing up exactly where cover lies in those areas, but that can lead to RNG gripes too. With things like random hills/rooms/etc, it'd create some pretty serious concerns unless the overall shape was predetermined, and at that point you may as well just draw out the hill. Random vegetation would be less of a concern, but doesn't add much to gameplay other than HAHA SURPRISE for people who dont bush-check, so I'm not really motivated to spend time on it.

Re: mine bug - yep, its honestly the major bug to be fixed next build. At the moment the achievements stuff is what's holding release.

Noburu and makmoud98 like this.